“Terrific Design, Excellent Service, Boutique Experience”
Review of Ammos Hotel

Ammos Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Agii Apostoli
Los Angeles, California
“Terrific Design, Excellent Service, Boutique Experience”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

When people say this hotel is perfect, they really mean this hotel is perfect. We had an absolutely wonderful stay here because of the terrific design, excellent food, and amazing service. It was our first time in Chania and Crete and wanted to stay at the beach rather than in the city. I’m glad we did it this way. The hotel itself was fairly newly renovated so you get the advantage of modern conveniences in an “older town”. I loved the design. It was contemporary and atypical, but definitely gave nods to its Cretan and Greek roots. Everything was well maintained and clean. I couldn’t believe we got such an amazing hotel at such a great price point.

Old Town Chania is easily accessible from the hotel by bus. The hotel even sells bus tickets so you can be ready at the bus stop and on your return. The bus stop is about 2 blocks away and a 15-20 minute bus ride. It comes pretty frequently as the road and area is a little on the dense side. I was actually a little surprised on how residential and populated the area felt, but in all, if you can look past all of the buildings around you, the scenery was just wonderful. The beach has loungers for guests only, and you look out to the beautiful sea. We never had a problem getting chairs. We were able to get a sea view room and it was utterly fantastic waking up and sitting on our balcony in the mornings. The restaurant was very reasonable for what you got, and the food delicious. It felt like someone’s mother was cooking in the kitchen that is how authentic the food tasted. The dinner menu changed very regularly so you won’t have to eat the same thing twice on your stay. I didn’t think we would use the kitchen very much, but there were a couple times when we had leftovers and just warmed it up for either breakfast or lunch the next day. The kitchen does come with a handful of essentials so you don’t have to worry about buying much. And if you do, there are several bodegas within walking distance. There is also a large grocery store about a mile away if you need it. The hotel is family friendly. While children do not and did not bother me, this was definitely not an adults only or sandals type of experience. You will see kids and their parents.

The Ammos is a small hotel amongst bigger ones that line the beach, however, I much prefer staying in boutique hotels where the staff get to know you. As for the staff, they will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and you are spending your vacation how you want. My luggage did not make the connection in New York and the front desk took the time to follow up with the airlines while I relaxed on the beach to make sure it arrived ok. They also gave me updates so I had peace of mind that it was in fact in transit. (One travelers tip – pack a small day bag of stuff in case your luggage does not make the connection. There are only a handful of flights to Chania so it took my bag just over a day to catch up to me. Luckily I packed my bathing suit in my carry on along with a change of clothes so I was set.) I had signed up for a cooking class that was canceled upon my arrival and the front desk tried to book me on another class, and when that didn’t work, they spent time with me and my husband to work out another day trip and excursion. They listened to what type of restaurants we liked and pointed us in the right direction. They really deserve an A +++ in service.

In all, our stay was very relaxing, comfortable, and fresh. If that is the experience you are looking for, stay at the Ammos. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Book early to secure a room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank someplace_new277

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Ammos Hotel in August 2013. It was our first stop after Athens and we wished we had ended our trip there. It was perfect. From the moment we arrived the staff were so attentive, the rooms are beautiful, clean and modern.The restaurant was excellent as well, it was wonderful that we had everything we needed and wanted right there. Nikos, the owner, has done an outstanding job! The beach was beautiful and no matter what time of the day we went out, we were alway able to get an umbrella. They even have inflatables for the guests to use! Did I mention the divine, organic bath products? They have thought of everything! Nikos' final gift to us as we left was recommending an archeologist tour guide for Knossos. She was amazing and we would have never had the amazing experience we had with Stavroula had Nikos not recommended her to us. Our stay at Ammos was far too short and we were all a little sad to leave. We live in the US and our family is used to a certain standard of hotel, we frequently stay at high end resorts. Ammos was equivalent to any high end resort but with a homey, family feel. It truly was the BEST hotel we stayed in Greece.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We made our booking directly with the hotel and then had to cancel the first 2 days because of an unexpected event. THe process of booking and rescheduling our stay was made very easy because of the friendliness and flexibility of the staff and also of the owner, Nikos. The hotel is very beautiful, the beach was nice. The hotel serves food and drinks while relaxing on the beach...which is very nice. The hospitality , the food was beyond expectations. We had the chance, through our stay here, to enjoy excellent produce of Crete and traditional food of the island. The room was very nice, and we had pleasant surprises every day, even twice a day: fills and refills of biscuits , fruit, and chocolate every day, and also gifts incl. honey. The service was excellent, personalized , everybody smiling and trying to assist. Consierge was so helpful that even provided us with umbrellas for our visit to the crouded , yet fantastic, beach of Elafonissi. Would definitely visit this hotel many times again...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Georgia C
Cheshire, England
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a wonderful relaxing week at the Ammos Hotel in October. The owner Nikos and his team were brilliant. Couldn't have given better customer service, from the initial email enquiry to the end of our trip, we were made so welcome. The room was excellent, great having a mini kitchen for essentials, although we ate many times in the restaurant. The food was fantastic, true authentic Cretan dishes, always served to us with a smile. We didn't bother with a hire car, jumping onto a bus into Chania town was easy. We had some great recommendations of places to eat in the town from the reception staff. Tamam, a restaurant in a converted Turkish spa is well worth a visit. great value. We walked the Samaria Gorge which was amazing! A long day but well worth it. The guests In the hotel were very nice, lots of little ones to brighten the place up! All in all a fantastic place, we would highly recommend it and would love to return. Thanks Nikos and your team.

Room Tip: Sea view is worth the extra
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda P
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just had 10 days island hopping and our stay here with two children was by far the best. We arrived with a sick child and the wonderful hotel staff had a doctor to our room in no time. Best value we found, best setting, kind and helpful staff and delicious breakfast! All agreed we would love to come back.

Room Tip: Our two rooms faced the sea. Gorgeous.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jancy R
Athens, Greece
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I found the Ammos Hotel the perfect place for a holiday with my parents and my active toddler. Not only did we receive a very warm welcome at 7am but also an early check in (great for my son's nap). Delicious breakfast lunch and dinner. Stylish decor and wonderful service - the staff just can't do enough for you. Even hot milk 'babycinos' delivered to our beach chairs for my son to enjoy while we had our coffees. The beach is one of the cleanest if not the cleanest free beach I have seen in Greece with many beach toys provided by the hotel. My parents are keen ocean swimmers and enjoyed the swimming here - Dad even swam around a nearby tiny island. Nikos is there for you from the first email till you sadly say goodbye. As we live in Athens I really hope we can return again and again. A beautiful hotel to watch my son explore and enjoy his surroundings without me having to say 'no don't touch' as I seem to on other holidays..

Room Tip: Bottom floor Garden view rooms great for young children to just step off onto the grass without havi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Evgenidisfamily
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Where to start!? This hotel is more than that and is absolutely unique.
To be succinct:
1. Perfect for any kind of guest: couple, single, family...
2. Fabulous location and beach for swimming, walking, lounging.
3. Staff and their client-focussed service is EXCEPTIONAL- I have traveled the world, all star levels and this place is beyond compare when helping you feel welcome, cared for and comfortable.
4. Food: DELICIOUS. The breakfast, especially, is different/varied and yummy, yummy, yummy.
5. Spa: onsite for massages and if you need more, there's another spa recommended up the street - 3 min walk.
6. 100 metres away from shopping for staples and other...
7. The owner, and manager, Nikos is a gem and had incredible/thorough suggestions for anything we needed, including tour guides, restaurant ideas, excursions, etc.
8. The design reflects a vision of simply stated luxury without an ounce of pretension, eclectic style and charm, clean lines and freshness.
8. Value.

#1 of 11 in Kato Daratso
Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa
Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa
#2 of 109 in Chania Town

Been to Ammos Hotel? Share your experiences!