“good but not worth the cost” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Porto Sani

Porto Sani
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sani
London, England, United Kingdom
“good but not worth the cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

First family sun holiday with our 2 year old daughter. We arrived to rain. Rain in Greece? Late too, so tired and hungry. Room was excellent, as was the view of the pools (so it should be for £6k). First fun bit was the "lost in translation" in the room service menu. "Hotel blends" apparently meant all toddler food was pureed. Hello??
Next day I checked out the gym (very good, and didn't ever have any problems getting on equipment even at the busiest of times). Breakfast very good (but the whole resort had a major wasp problem, which isn't fun with a 2 year old!). Lunch and dinner more of a challenge. So unknown to us, you needed to book in advance to eat anywhere. And Greece being Greece, in the hotel a "collar" at dinner was mandatory. Hello? I'm on holiday. I wear a suit and tie all week. A shirt and jeans I'll do but when jeans and shirt are a no but a polo shirt and slacks are ok, then there's something wacky going on (but hey, I knew this from previous holidays in Greece). The having to reserve bit was a nightmare. Try explaining to a hungry, tired 2 year old why she's going to have to wait another hour for food because bizarrely, no local restaurants have any evening availability. Having fathomed this, we did book. But of all the restaurants, only 1 (the pizzeria) was deemed worth a revisit. Half were stupidly expensive and way too fussy (from someone who has eaten at most top London restaurants) or "chips with everything". And no menus posted outside so we had no idea if there was anything we'd want to eat. What was wrong with a traditional greek taverna? (oh for Georgios Taverna at Elounda in Crete).
The hotel otherwise was great. My daughter loved the pool complex. Room and maid services were good.
Bottom line - would I go back? Hmm... not by choice. But I don't know I'll find anywhere much better. The price was the thing that ultimately took the shine off.

Room Tip: Work out where you want to eat in the evening and watch out for other children appropriating toys
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jake S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was our third visit to the resort and every year it just gets better. From the moment we arrived it was all wonderful.
Plamena and all the girls on reception are superb and efficient in all that is asked of them. Olga on guest services is by far the most helpful I have ever come across. There were a total of 26 adults and children in our party spread across the resort and Olga helped me in organising various restaurants and was very accommodating with all the chopping and changing of arrangements....
The boys who work the San asterias beach are complete stars !
The Ammos bar is a firm favourite for a late afternoon cocktail and the FABULOUS ROMAN are not to be missed .... He will be recommending you cocktails that aren't on the menu and even naming the after you if you're lucky ! Having said that you have to start with the mango daiquiri, it's the perfect way to round off a hard day at the beach and start a fun night at sani.
The white party at bousoulous beach was as much fun as ever and it's just as well it's only once a week as everyone let's their hair down !!!!!
The kids all appreciated Tudor's patience at lunch times in the dolphin bar restaurant and he deserves a medal from all the parents as he took on the roll of mother for us !
George at the water sports is a no nonsense chap and it's just as well dealing with all sorts of people trying it on .... We have always found him incredibly helpful and fair. My daughter is now hoping wake boarding is introduced into the Olympics in Rio due to George and his excellent teams coaching ....

Finally just to say that a superb time was had by all and we are planning our trip for 2013 as I write this .......

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom family suite with a garden view ..... Bit quieter than being round the pool !
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have just come back from our 4th trip to PSV and are already planning our 5th trip for next summer.
This is the first resort we have been to which provides a real 5 star service and includes the children at all times.
The kids club is English run, Ofsted approved and all the staff are so friendly and they keep the kids involved with so many different activities, we could hardly drag our two children away.
We tended to use the Kids Club in the morning when the weather was too hot for them to be out and then spent the afternoons in the pool or at the beach, but wherever we went the level of service was first class.
Our children got to know the staff by their first names and grew very fond of some of them, particularly Michael in the restaurant and Kostas in the bar.
The GM, Sakis, is the ultimate host and nothing is too much trouble. He has watched our children grow up, (they are now almost 6 and almost 2) and both run up to him for a cuddle whenever they see him. He can also provide excellent recommendations for a night out should you wish to leave the resort, but why should you, when everything you want is here!! Fantastic trip as ever and cannot wait to go back. It really is our idea of the perfect holiday, with time for ourselves, as well as time with the kids. Viva PSV!!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool tend to be a bit quieter, but all have either a garden or balcony so you ca...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny J
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Apologies in advance for the length of this review. If I were unsure I'd want as much information as I could get and so I hope I can convey my thoughts based on our experience at the PSV.

This is the first time I have ever been compelled to write a review of a holiday destination, but our experience at PSV warrants it.

I am not really the holiday person in my family. I tend to go where I am told but on this occasion after my wife chose the PSV last year, I very much voted for going back, and will try the same next year, and probably the year after.

Holidays are my wife's passion, she lives for them (and the children!). She puts a great deal of effort into planning the ideal holiday so that we can enjoy quality family time, but because of that she looks for variety and new experiences. While it is great to find a fantastic place, there are so many holiday destinations to visit in the world, that it's a waste to spend the limited time we have replicating a holiday experience we've already enjoyed.

It's the same with food. We are foodies, and make a habit of trying out every top London restaurant we can. Even if we find a great place, there's no need to go back, because the choice is so vast.

Yet despite this, my wife was also happy to go back to the PSV and will agree with me next year. It is with some reluctance, but it is hard to deny its qualities and attractions.
No place is perfect, and while I can understand some of the points in the negative reviews I have seen, they are not sufficient to deter us from coming or enjoying our holiday. I think it is unfair to blame a resort for the behaviour of some of the other guests, but I can assure you it is not indicative of the "type" of people the hotel attracts.

We made friends the first time we visited, and exchanged numbers, we saw many of those same people back again this year. It is actually astounding that of everyone we chatted to around the pool over the two weeks we stayed, we only met one couple who were visiting for the first time, they knew within two days that they’d rebook.

This simply doesn’t happen in any other place we have been, and we’ve made a point of doing the rounds of what are considered the “top” resorts in Europe.

The reasons for this are simple. We are restricted to child friendly places, with hot weather. We like a decent pool and if possible a beach. Chiefly for us it’s about the food. We need variety and quality. The Sani and especially the PSV has answers for all of this and then provides added features. When you roll this into one package, it might not be perfect, but it ticks far more boxes than any of the many places we have tried previously, and believe me my wife’s standards are high – except for her choice in husbands!

Weather – perfect and flawless the entire length of both our trips.

Flight time – three hours from London

Transfer time - 40 mins.

Customer service – unrivalled outside the Far East.

Beaches – stoneless, white and deep, with reserved areas and free child care, plus waiting staff and towels provided. No they aren’t right next to the hotel, but they are less than three minutes’ walk through a lovely marina, and if you can’t handle that, ask for a free golf buggy at reception and they’ll take you anywhere. This ignores the best part of the beaches which is the clean clear water, which is as warm as the pools (also perfect temperature unlike in Spanish, Portuguese and Canarian resorts I could mention) but more importantly that it is two to three feet deep for upwards of 100 yards, meaning children of all ages can really use it, with and without adult supervision. There’s also a huge selection of water sports available.
Restaurants and food – enough for huge variety with typically with excellent quality, we are vegetarian which restricts us to some degree but no more so than we struggle with anywhere in the world.

Pools - dedicated toddlers pool - ranges from three to eighteen inches. The normal pool also starts at three inches with a gradual slope increasing in depth. It's one of the few hotels with a 3.5m deep pool for diving. There's also an adult only pool very close by (45 feet away) which somehow manages to be extremely peaceful. This is attached to the spa which has an indoor (opening up) pool including directed jets for massage and relaxing purposes.

Kids Club – well staffed by young enthusiastic girls, almost exclusively English.

Topography – almost perfectly flat – great for hiring bikes – but not tiring to walk around.

Entertainment – night time shows in relaxed environment of Garden theatre, again with waiting staff providing a captivating experience for the children. In addition, there is the white knights party night which is like clubbing on the beach but again children are welcome – incredible atmosphere if you can stay awake in the heat! There’s also the amphitheatre which shows very up to date films on a projector with a great sound system in an outside setting. Then there’s the kids mini disco although this appeals for only a limited age range and its locations moves between Sani hotels. Then there’s the appeal of hiring a boat, or the complimentary trip around the coast, or the sunset cruise. Or you can just relax in the lovely setting of the Marina and walk around the multi-million pound yachts.

Please note. I can't comment on the spa as I didn't go in, and my 4/5 rating below for value, is aimed at the industry prices and is only a reflection on the fact that I am struggling to come to terms with the costs of holidays now. In comparison to anywhere else I would consider going, the value is excellent, but I just struggle with the costs of holidays in general! If I could change it to reflect reality, I would give 3/5 for price and 5/5 for value given that I have to accept the industry price for a 5 star resort.

All the above are just the thoughts that immediately come to mind. The overwhelming feeling is one of security and relaxation. The resort has a very calm vibe, which is ideal for promoting the holiday mood and spirit. It takes only a day to feel relaxed there after the stresses of work. I can’t put my finger on exactly what causes this but it’s likely to be a mixture of all the above, predominantly coming from the children being happy.

Please don’t think that it is perfect. It can’t be everything to all people, nowhere can. That’s probably the reason why I’ve not bothered reviewing a place before because you’ll never know the standards of the reviewer and your own experience will differ based on your patience levels, taste in food, heat tolerance, the delay in your flight etc. Anywhere you go is going to be a risk, but on paper and on recommendations, the PSV is by far the least risk of any of the options we have or will consider in Europe. The reason we’ll go back is that although there’s a chance somewhere else might be better overall, it can’t be much better, and will probably be worse. For two precious weeks of my life, I’m not prepared to be disappointed that I made a mistake not sticking with what I know. The world is a small place, especially with the internet letting anyone, even me, turn into a reviewer. If anyone really does find somewhere better in Europe for a holiday with children, please tell me where.

I had my gripes after the first holiday, but I wrote to provide feedback and they listened. I complained that they didn’t serve Diet Coke, to which I am addicted. On arrival this time they had noted this from my email 10 months earlier and had it waiting for me. The manager was waiting as we arrived and helped in person to unload our luggage – where else do you get that?

Another example, the breakfast is possibly the nicest I have experienced anywhere in the world (make sure you try the a la carte). They have a pastry chef who bakes fresh cakes daily. Early on I happened across the almond croissants which were divine, but they stopped being served for about three days. I mentioned it to the manager who sent a text there and then to the chef to make sure they were served the following day. They were not, and I casually, jokingly expressed my disappointment – believe me I don’t need them. That afternoon, I returned to my room to avoid the 2pm sun with the children to find a platter of almond pastries of all kind, and an apologetic note along with two bottles of wine!

Things like the staff on the main desk knowing you and calling you by name whenever you approach them. Little touches make a huge difference to your impression of a place.

I have some new complaints, all minor, but in speaking to senior staff members, they welcome anything I can tell them and I know from previous experience, that they will take note of my
points in search of perfection – making next year’s trip even better.

How can anyone complain about that?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Adammantium
Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Just spent 2 weeks with my wife a nd 3 children at Porto Sani. The staff were amazing in terms of the assistance on offer and genuine friendleness to all of us. The hotal pools are varied for the kids with a life guard always there, kids club and general activities meant we hardly saw the kids! The choice or food at the resort is great ranging from lovely local food to Italian and Japanese, all reached within a 10 minute walk. The prices were also very reasonable for an up market location. We have just booked to go back next year for 16 days.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suites adjacent to the pool area make life easier as it is less than a minute there!
1 Thank Adrian P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We have just returned from our 4th summer break at PSV. What can I say, all the team were amazing. There is nothing you can fault about this hotel. The manager Sakis who has got to know us all (and seen our children grow now 3.5 years and 6 years old) makes sure from the minute we arrive that every detail of our holiday runs smoothly. His team of very well trained staff have become friends and are also brilliant with our kids. Plamena, Olga and Victoria at guest relations have helped us plan perfect holidays. We are in touch with them several months before we arrive and they make sure that everyone of our requests are fulfilled. We remain in contact with them throughout the year. Everyone at this resort understands top level service. I am probably one of the most demanding of clients and I can't find a fault. The Spa is brilliant (special thanks to Julia and Stella), the beach is extraordinary, the food amazing. Mr Babis and Lilya have provided us with the best meals and at times doing special meals for us when requested. I loved my morning juices! Alex who spent countless journeys with us to and from the beach is such a lovely guy... The housekeeping staff also kept our room looking amazing every day. There are so many people thank the list is far too long here. All I can say is a BIG BIG thanks to everyone for looking after us all, especially from the kids Luko and Rani. See you next year. Sonita and Jon Gale

Room Tip: book your restaurants in advance so you get time slots you want
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sonita G
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Perfection is the only way to describe Porto Sani Village. Having returned from our fifth visit this August we are already looking to book for next year as it is just so good.

We are a family with 2 young boys aged 7 and nearly 3 and just enjoy everything about Porto Sani Village. The Hotel is luxurious, the rooms beautifully decorated, a good size and spotlessly clean, the service second to none, the pools are great for children and the seperate adult pool is a nice way to get away from it all. The resort also offers a lot of choice with excellent restaurants on your doorstep with most situated around a lovely marina. The Japanese restaurant See You Up was a family favourite, but Tomata, Macaroni and the Ouzerie are all great and have been better every year over the past 5 years we have visited.

The beaches are also lovely and spotless with drink and food service to your sunbeds as well as a baby sitting service for younger children right on the beach under some big shady umbrellas.

The Hotel and resort as ive said above are superb but what really makes the holiday are the staff. Mr. Sakis Spyridopoulos the manager has got a great team of people. He is always around the hotel making sure everything is as it should be and his guests are enjoying their holiday, any problems not that ive had a single one in five years Im sure would be dealt with immediately as he is a very hands on manager and not one that hides in an office.
Olga and Victoria are fantastic in Guest Relations with nothing being too much trouble and they seem to work 20 hours a day as they are always around should you need them.
But the biggest thank you must go to Plamena the Front Office Manager. Her help in organising the holiday and answering any questions or concerns I might have, no matter how small make our family holiday an absolute joy. She takes away all the stress and has been so helpful every year we have stayed at Porto Sani Village.

Porto Sani Village is a truly remarkable place and one we will be visiting again and again.

Room Tip: Pool View rooms are great as are Garden view rooms overlooking the fields
3 Thank stevewalker33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sani
Sani Beach
Possidi Holidays Hotel
Possidi Holidays Hotel
#1 of 3 in Possidi
Anthemus Sea Beach Hotel & Spa

Been to Porto Sani? Share your experiences!