“very good for how much money you pay”
Review of Belvedere Hotel

Belvedere Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Agios Ioannis
Craiova, Romania
“very good for how much money you pay”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

clean room, good food, helpful staff, own beach, Saltwater pool, varied menu for all tastes, old but very clean furniture store, beautiful view

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank DzVampy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 31, 2011

On a break from our missionary trip, we stayed at the Belvedere. The owner was very nice and hospitable. We found the people very friendly and helpful.

The rooms were a little under par, but we weren't in them much anyhow. We did have an issue with getting clean towels, due to the workers strike and the hotel being undermanned.
The workers protested loudly in front of the hotel everyday.

The beach was awesome. You couldn't hear any of the commotion down there. The beach is rocky and uncomfortable if you don't get a chair to lay on. Get there early. This is where we spent most of our time just swimming and reading. I loved it.

The pool was great and close to the snacks (which were so good). They served fish everyday and fresh vegetables. The food was great and for the most part, healthy. I lost weight without even trying. The wine was good also. We had a Greek party one night. That was awesome.

We were able to walk to town a couple times. The road is a little sketchy, but if you are up for adventure, pretty fun. Despite all the drama, we had a very relaxing time and enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank calliefornia3
Milan
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel is an extremely bad choice for anyone,save the most accomplished masochist.The room can be considered ok, if were not for the constant reek of sewage.The access to the beach, which is deprived of any umbrellas or shade, is only possible by crossing one of the main roads on the island.Needles to say this does not appear on any promotional photos.There is no wireless internet,and the price for using the hotel's is 6 euro per hour.The food was horrible.The buffet consisted of a very small number of dishes and the variety was reduced every day, as the management informed us that they were closing the season soon,and therefore couldn't be bothered to order anything new. As an example, the dessert options during dinner (there was dessert only at dinner) consisted of vanilla and chocolate ice cream and watermelon the first day.By the third there was only chocolate ice cream.At breakfast we were denied water,even though we were on an all-inclusive package.It simply wasn't on the menu for breakfast was the excuse.This hotel is certainly no longer on my menu.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Pazzocola

Travelers are raving about these Agios Ioannis hotels

Bristol
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Well, after reading the reviews for the Belvedere on this site, I was dreading my visit there - and I have to say I was pleasently surprised - despite experiencing some problems. I think it all depends what you wanted out of the holiday - for me, I was looking for somewhere comfortable to lay my head, in a good location, which would allow me to explore the rest of the Island during the day by car - for this, the Belvedere was a fine hotel. The staff were friendly enough, the beds were fine (would have liked more than one pillow), the beach at the end of the Hotel was great, the parking lot was good, the beds were made every day, the free air-conditioning was superb and the shop next door was well stocked. I also cannot comment on the food, as we eat out every day. On the negative side, the bathroom is small, and the "shower" not really much cop (it's just a loose shower), the doors were loud at night (when being closed by other's on the same floor) and we did lose all water for an afternoon/evening (it's never fun when the flush doesn't work!) - but It's certainly not the worst Hotel I have stayed in - and for me I would give it three stars, which for a three star hotel is probably about right.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ydnaj3333
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2009

This was the worst holiday I have ever been on. I arrived on my 17th birthday with my mum to find an absolutely disgusting hotel. Cracked sewage pipe outside our room, human faeces on the outside of the toilet and in the toilet, blood on the bed sheets, beds that smelt of urine, broken wardrobe, lumpy pillows, mouldy walls and ceilings. We moved rooms (after getting many dirty looks from receptionists that barely understand a word you're saying) as the smell fro the sewage pipe was actually making us gag, got given a slightly better room with a TV (had to buy the remote from reception to watch it though..) and thought as it was my birthday we would try and make the best of it, so went to see what the food was like.
The food was repulsive. Octopus and some kind of meat in an orange sauce, boiled potatoes, carrots and spaghetti. Not being a wealthy family we couldn't go out for a meal and had no choice but to eat biscuits for dinner from the local shop where we were told that the owner got all his business from those staying at the hotel, and then cry down the phone to Olympic, the travel agency. Luckily we met another British family (we were one of three British families in the hotel- it seems it was more like a motel for sleazy Europeans and I did not feel safe walking around the hotel on my own. One even tried to grope me in the lift.) and we complained to Olympic and got moved hotels the next day to the very nice Messonghi Beach Hotel just down the road which was basically the same price for Half Board- Go there instead of here! We paid for all inclusive at Belvedere and couldn't even get still water on it. While I'm here I might as well recommend Messonghi Beach to you- although it's the same price for Half Board there as it is for All Inclusive at Belveder- All Inclusive at Belvedere is not "all inclusive" and you will much prefer Messonghi Beach. There's entertainment every night, it's right on the beach with two beautiful pools, has fantastic food with a beach bar between the beach and pool for lunch food cooked right in front of you for a reasonable price (the chicken kebab is beautiful!), a lovely atmosphere and kids, teenagers or adults won't be bored here.
Going back to the Belvedere, the pool was right by a busy road and was dirty with not enough sunbeds. Definitely not a family hotel.
All I can say is, please ignore the good reviews, I spent a day there and could not have been more unhappy. If you have booked this holiday already and are reading these reviews thinking 'Oh God', do what we stupidly failed to do and cancel your holiday. Even if you lose money, you'll lose more by going and getting on the first flight home or having an awful holiday where you can't eat the hotel food or leave children/teenagers on their own.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank CharleyM
Plovdiv
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Lovely Corfu! My sister and me, we are so glad that we spent our vacation exactly in the BELVEDERE hotel. Everything (the service, the food, the location, etc) was just perfect. In the hotel was very clean and comfortable, it has really nice atmosphere! I definately am going to spend lots of my vacations in BELVEDERE hotel and I recommend it to everyone, who wants to have pleasant and party summer!!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TanyaIvanova
manchester
Reviewed September 21, 2008

treated badly by staff,worst staff,worst beach, worst room(s)we had four in one day,the food was a joke,ive got the [-] to prove it,if you didnt like bread or spaghetti you was kippered,all inclusive was a joke,pulling thier faces if you wanted a drink,which you got in a child size plastic cup,and you get charged 5 euro a pop if you want the privalage of a grown-up glass.So to sum up please do not botherif you read a good review dont believe it,i dont like complaining,believe it or not,but me,my mrs and my little girl(7)had the worst experience ever,and it cost us a fortune getting taxis and eating out,mmmmmm feel a bit better now,good luck

• Liked — the taxi turning up to take us home
  • Disliked — everything ,i know i sound like a whinger,but it was a mare
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank beanhead51
#16 of 17 in Benitses
Corfu Senses Resort
Corfu Senses Resort
#4 of 5 in Agios Ioannis Peristeron

Been to Belvedere Hotel? Share your experiences!