“Always warm and friendly.”

Bruichladdich Distillery
More attraction details
Owner description: We are an innovative Islay distillery producing unpeated Bruichladdich, heavily peated Port Charlotte and super-heavily peated Octomore single malt whiskies. We use a wide range of barley types, including organic and bere, grown on a variety of terroirs including Islay. We also distill The Botanist gin. Mary at the Laddieshop will be glad to organise a tour of our distillery for you and the distilling team will happily answer any questions you may have.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The background to this review actually dates back to (precisely) 13th August 2001. My wife and I visited Islay and went into Bruichladdich just after it had been bought by Mark Reyneir and Jim McEwan.

After introductions, Jim and others showed us around the old distillery which was, at that time, a bit of a shell. Plans were in place to make it operational, however, and Jim's enthusiastic explanations of what was scheduled to happen left us in no doubt that it would all happen as planned.

I had "followed" Jim's progress from Bowmore, which I still drink. Bruichladdich was a new venture but with the advantage of a spirited (pardon the pun) team. After purchasing a Valinch, which Jim was kind enough to sign in gold ink, I was afforded a taste of some of the older product as well as the water (which my wife loved).

Delighted with our experience, it would not be until 2005 that we would again visit Islay. We had been quite industrious ourselves during that period, and attended Islay with our amazingly beautiful twin girls, aged just under a year old. By this time, Bruichladdich was in full flow, producing some amazing whisky. On of the fantastic ladies from Bruichladdich was kind enough to let us sit our daughters on a barrel in the shop and we took some memorable snaps.

In 2012 we went back to Islay and visited Bruichladdich again. I bought bottle 399 of the 400 available from a barrel into a Valinch. Unfortunately Jim was on vacation so my opportunity to get a second signature was not available. A few days later, it was confirmed that Pernod Ricard ad bought Bruichladdich.

In 2013 we went back to Islay (we love the place especially Kilchoman Beach). We visited Bruichladdich briefly but our daughters (now 8 years old) were keen to visit the beach, so the visit was brief indeed! I was hoping to see and talk with some of the staff I had come to know, and Jim was on his lunch. What can I say? Bruichladdich was created by real people and real people still operate it. The belief in independence seems to be prevalent despite the Pernod Ricard purchase; this is crucial to the existence and continued growth of Bruichladdich.

Mary M, Guest Relations Manager at Bruichladdich Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Hi "GlasgowCurryClub"

Thank you for your review. I enjoyed reading your story and I do remember your lovely twin daughters the first time they visited the Laddie as you kindly sent me a copy of the photo of them sitting on the cask which I still have, I cannot believe they are eight years old already.

Please email me to let me know the next time you plan to visit and I will let Jim know so we can arrange for you to catch up with all the news.

I look forward to meeting your lovely twin girls soon again

All reviews
"visiting islay"
"great visit"
"standard tour"

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The distillery shop has recently been transformed into more of a visitor experience. The clothing seemed better value than the last time we were here. Also, you don't have to take a tour to sample the whisky for free! Just don't overdo it.

Mary M, Guest Relations Manager at Bruichladdich Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Hi "David B"

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased you came back to Islay's shores once more, to see the wonderful lights of Lochindaal.

I look forward to meeting you again next time you are over

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a great tour, we met a fellow South African who worked there and all the staff were very helpful. The process was explained in such a great way and I enjoyed it so much that I would go back again.

Hi "Muweti"

Thank you for your review. Graham enjoys meeting people from his homeland, it's nice to catch up on people and places over a wee dram or two.

I hope you manage over to visit us soon again

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great distillery with very friendly staff. Just do the cheap tour - well worth the money. As stated in previous reviews the tasting experience is very generous. Visit was after the sale of the distillery but it doesn't appear to have changed anything.

Hi "comfort1st"

Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your wee visit. Hope you can come over soon again, remember to pop in for a wee blether