“Terrific small hotel”
Review of An Taigh Osda

An Taigh Osda
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Based on other reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked this hotel for the last weekend in September. It is a terrific establishment - comfy, contemporary rooms matched by the outstanding food. The owners are welcoming and helpful; I particularly appreciated the emphasis placed on relaxation. Dinners are fantastic but there is no need to dress up for them, which suited me. I would highly recommend a stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed September 30, 2008

My wife took me to Islay to celebrate "a big birthday" and booked into An Taigh-Osda for three nights. We were greeted by Paul on our arrival and were made most welcome as soon as we walked through the door. As an Islay man he was able to direct to the best walking areas and was full of great ideas and tips. We had originally planned to eat in the hotel on two of our three nights but after our first meal decided that we would eat there every night. A combination of local produce and an excellent and imaginative chef led to the most wonderful food. Breakfast too was excellent, particularly the smoked haddock. Paul's wife Joan was more than happy to book us a tour of the Bruichladdich distillery which is next door to the hotel and she too went out of her way to make us feel at home. The small lounge area is ideal for chatting with fellow guests whilst enjoying a dram or two from the large selection of malts. Our room on the top floor was fairly spacious and well laid out, with fabulous views across the bay. This is a fabulous wee hotel and who's owners deserve every success that comes their way. Many thanks to you both!!

Reviewed September 22, 2008

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel on Saturday night and found the quality of the hotel rooms to be of the highest order.

A wide choice of dishes was available in the evening and the chef was able to cater to my wifes dietary requirements too.

Gorgeous views overlooking the water.

Please note the 4pm entrance time coupled with a 10am checkout time.

Overall, a great hotel

Reviewed September 11, 2008

Stayed in An-Tigh -Osda for 3 nights and couldn't recommend it more highly. Friendly, welcoming owners and staff who couldn't be more helpful. Paul and Joan have a gem here, the rooms are clean, airy and well equipped without being too fussy to relax in. The food is high quality and the chef's preparation and presentation has my compliments. Oh!, and a fine selection of malts, not just Islay malts.

Reviewed September 9, 2008

We stayed at An Taigh-Osda, in Bruichladdich, this weekend on the last leg of our honeymoon. We had been travelling throughout the UK and stayed at four and five star hotels, and eaten at Michelin-starred restaurants, but this was by far my favorite place.

The setting is beautiful - try to get a room with a view. There is nothing around but waves and rocks and seagulls (and a whiskey distillery right next door!) and I felt like I could actually hear myself think, which is a rare luxury these days. The rooms are cozy and modern, there is a lovely seating area, and Paul and Joan always make sure there is ambient music playing in the common areas.

The food was superb. Really superb. Everything was fresh and homemade, local produce was abundant, fantastic seafood. Their soups and mussels were especially delicious.

A real find.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed August 25, 2008

This is what I call a hotel.
The food was excellent and the rooms are spotless and very tastefully decorated.
We arrived just after 9pm after a five hour drive and ferry ride and was made very welcome. We were given dinner although the kitchen closed at 9. The owners made us feel at ease and nothing was a problem.
We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2008

An Taigh-Osda is a lovely hotel, with wonderful views over Loch Indaal and situated next to the Bruichladdich Distillery. Paul and Joan are wonderful hosts and nothing is too much trouble. The food is exceptional using much local produce especially the fish. After dinner we could relax in the comfortable lounge and chat with fellow guests. Our room was on the top floor with commanding views. All the comforts are provided including an iron, hairdryer, small fridge and satellite TV.The decoration and furnishings are of an exceptionally high standard and very comfortable indeed. The bathroom especially the shower is fantastic. As it is a very new venture I would like to make a couple of tiny suggestions to make it even more perfect. As it is an older property there were not quite enough visible plug points so I had to kneel on the floor in front of a small mirror to dry my hair. I could also have done with an extra shelf (for all my cosmetics etc.) and hand towel rail nearer the handbasin. A shelf to put my shower gel on in the shower would also be useful. The loo is placed under a sloping ceiling which my husband found a little tricky to negotiate without hitting his head. However, these are very minor issues and overall we were very impressed with the level of accommodation provided. Islay is a beautiful island with the added attraction of all the distilleries. During our stay we only scratched the surface and will be back to Islay and An Taigh-Osda again. We wish Joan and Paul every success as they deserve it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to An Taigh Osda? Share your experiences!