“Complete and Utter Bollocks”

Danhostel CopenHagen Bellahoj
Danhostel CopenHagen Bellahoj
Cincinnati
“Complete and Utter Bollocks”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I came to Copenhagen for the United Nations COP15 talks on climate change. I was part of a youth/student delegation; we rented this hostel for our group and regretted it every step of the way.

Where do I begin? Bellahoej hostel is out in the middle of nowhere; it takes well over an hour to get there from the airport.

That’s not really their fault, but the matter of the internet is. I am under the impression that our head delegate was told the hostel had free wifi (delegations staying at other Dan Hostels reported that they DID in fact receive free wifi); we, on the other hand, did not. That’s not quite fair of me--we did receive wifi, sporadically. The signal was inclined not to let us on at certain times, and would randomly disappear and stay off for days on end (regrettably, the other option was to pay for it from the hostel itself). This might not be an issue to a lot of travelers, but we happen to all be online activists; our coordination with the UN was entirely online. The staff was well aware of our needs. Finding internet access was a daily headache; this was really infuriating.

Initially, we were denied breakfast, which is explicitly included in the price. We received breakfast in the end, but were never allowed to use the guest kitchen to cook. Given the price of food in Copenhagen, this was another serious blow to our survival.

The staff was habitually rude and often treated us like elementary school kids. I can understand the need for order, but some of the things they chided us for were way over the line (“You’re not allowed to leave the room with that slice of bread!”). Other times, the staff simply refused to work with us. For instance, I realized at the end of my time in Copenhagen that I needed to stay another day. Rather than simply let me pay and work it out with me personally, the staff insisted that I speak to my head of delegation--who had already left the city. When I explained that she was no longer present, they insisted again that I speak to her and would not hear another word.

Most egregiously of all, some of us were scheduled to leave Copenhagen as late as the 23rd of December--but they forced us all out on the morning of the 21st, with nowhere to go. Luckily, I was leaving that evening, so there was no issue; this doesn’t change the fact that a sizeable group of people were rendered homeless for two days.

This is bad business, and especially reprehensible in light of the work we do--we were essentially trying to save the world; we had worked long and hard hours over the last six months trying to procure the money to stay in their hostel (over $40 per night?! ridiculous). The least they could have done was act like their customers are worth their time. In light of these grievances, I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Bellahoej Hostel to another living soul.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank holyrockthrower

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Good for youth and also for families!! Easy to get around with buses and metro, very confortable and functional. Prices are good, clean and friendly.

Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2008

This hostel was one of the worst.. The only good thing was the bed but the showers and toilets looked worse than a concentration camp as you choked on the septic tank smell in the shower....The room hadn't been aired for decades and just smelt like off cigarette smoke the whole time even if you slept with the window wide open..Disgusting

• Liked — There was a room free when I needed it
  • Disliked — Bathroom facilities were nauseating
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Bronshoej hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bronshoej
Frederiksberg
Inner Vesterbro
Danhostel Copenhagen City
Danhostel Copenhagen City
#5 of 40 in Copenhagen

Been to Danhostel CopenHagen Bellahoj? Share your experiences!