“No Zing tonight” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zing - CLOSED

Zing
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Perth
“No Zing tonight”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Disappointing tonight. The food was ok but no Zing. I had the fillet steak which came with chips, peas and a tomato which was supposed to be grilled. The food was not hot, apart from the chips. The tomato must have had a brief encounter with the grill, because it was mostly raw and cold. The peas were also disappointing. The plate could have been heated to present the food a lot hotter than served. My wife had lamb shanks. Nice large serve but again more could have been made with the serve of vegetables. She had to look for the scant offering of vegetables served with the dish. The service was good and of course the view is terrific.

• Visited September 2013

Brisbane, Australia
“Nice location and great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

My sister and I ended up here simply because every other restaurant or café in the Hillarys Boat Harbour precinct was closed or just about to close .....it was only 8pm on a Wednesday night!!!!

The lovely manageress told us that they were just about to close and that they weren't taking any orders but she must have taken pity on us because she let us in and we were able to order entrees as well as main course.

My sister ordered garlic bread to start with and I stupidly decided to order the salt & pepper squid. I say stupidly because (1) It cost $18.95 - which for entrée is a bit steep but (2) there was SO MUCH - I couldn't eat even a small portion but they obligingly put it in a doggie bag for me to take home

The squid was ok - not the best I have had but certainly not the worst. The garlic bread looked ok and my sister said it was nice but a bit too garlicky.

We only ordered one main course to share - Fish & Chips ($28.95) - because we were told that the serving was very large and easily enough for two people. They were correct - Two HUGE pieces of fish and a pile of chips. No way would I have been able to eat all that by myself and I consider myself a pretty big eater.

It was all in all very nice. The service was excellent - but then again there were only about three other tables occupied. I was mostly impressed by the fact that we had not been turned away (as some of the other cafes had done) and they had accommodated us even though they were essentially packing up for the night. We did appreciate that

We also had a nice table by a window - and I think if you came here for lunch on a nice summers day then the view would be worth it but at night you couldn't really see anything so it didn't really matter where we sat.

It is probably a bit on the pricey side, and having only eaten "basic" fare of fish & chips I cant really say whether the food was sensational or not. As fish & chips go it was a nice meal and plenty of it. I would most likely go back if I am up this way again. I would like to try it at lunch time.

• Visited September 2013
Perth WA
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We as a family of 4 adults and 2 children ventured to Zing a few weeks ago on a Friday night and were very pleasantly surprised, after reading some of the negatives expressed here.

Arrived earlyish, about 6 PM and were seated at a nice table overlooking the water.
I self served wine when glasses were delivered promptly and mixed drinks similarly. Only one criticism; the bourbon and coke was a bit light on with the spirits.

An order of various entrees were delivered reasonably promptly and were top notch. My calamari superb, and mixed entrees of excellent quality.

My son's steak was a good as I've had in a restaurant. Scotch fillet cooked to perfection medium rare. The kids fish and chips were both huge serves. Lovely pieces of fish with nice freshly cooked chips were scrumptious.

Bangers and mash was a traditional pub style and would have been devoured but for the size of the serve. A struggle but was eventually finished off and the Guinness Pie a crisp thickish pastry with huge chunks of tasty beef. A tad dry but was served with its own gravy in a small jug to moisten to one's own taste. A nice touch.

No dessert for the elder folk, but the massive Zing Sharing Dessert was a thrill for the 2 little kids and one older (their Dad) kid and they were all like kids locked in an ice cream shop with no way out.

We had a couple of vouchers to lessen the bill, which in itself was very reasonable for the meals which were all greatly enjoyed, and with corkage @ $2 per head for drinkers - 2 of - overall, a delightful night out.

Didn't think it would be the sort of place we would have ordinarily chosen, but glad we did. Certainly recommend for mid/upper range quality evening meal.

Perth
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We found Zing to be excellent, beautiful location and great food! The 4 dishes we had were Hellfire Salmon, Ribs, Fajitas and Ribeye and everyone was more than happy with their meals would recommend them all but the Ribs were the biggest hit! Will be returning to try them myself! Service great also!

2 Thank Karen M
Perth, Australia
“Bad management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I will never return after the way we were treated by the Manager on Duty 'James Chong.' We were seated outside but it was too windy so we came back inside. He was talking to a friend at the desk (very obviously not a customer) and ignored us for a good few minutes until I asked if we could be seated. He then huffed and puffed and told his friend, 'just wait a minute, I gotta seat THESE people' and gave me a dirty look as he said it. He continued to roll his eyes and give off bad attitude and I was so disgusted I almost left. The only reason I didn't is cause my very pregnant sister was craving the chilli mussels here and just wanted to sit down. I have worked in customer service in hospitality for over 6 years and his behavior was completely unacceptable and unprofessional.

The food is expensive and decent quality and the service from our waitress was excellent. I wish I had got her name because she was attentive, friendly and great at her job. If everyone had the same attitude towards their job as she did then this place would be a lot more popular.

Our lunch bill came to $170 for 4 dishes and 4 drinks. I thought it was funny how they had a 'Tip' section on the receipt as if trying to adopt American standards. This is Australia mate, and if you want people to start tipping I suggest you provide a service that deserves it.

4 Thank perthchick20