“Well worth a visit”

Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We went as a party of six along with a small baby in a buggy and were a bit worried about how busy the place was. No need! We had a great waitress who looked after us and couldn't have been more helpful. We ate mains and puddings - all pretty good but one notch below stunning. My ribs were great but one steak was tougher than the others - bit of a shame. Overall though, a very good evening and I will be back when I want good meat and plenty of it.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I booked a table for us (as a couple) to celebrate hubbie's birthday. Our table was upstairs and hubbie loved his "birds-eye view" of the guests on the ground floor. We got there by 6:45, by 7pm it was extremely busy and by 7:15 it was absolutely chockers. Once the place started filling up service slowed down a bit but we did not mind as the atmosphere was great, we enjoyed the drinks and nibbled on our starter.
We shared a bowl of "Mud Huts" (button mushrooms filled with cream cheese, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, crumbed and fried and then served with an aioli dipping sauce) and after the first mouthful understood why these little jewels consistently get rave reviews from guests.
Our main meals consisted of basted Pork Spare Ribs & fries for me (pretty good but a bit too "rich" for my taste) and a Botswana Beef for hubbie . The beef fillet is marinated in beer, soy, chilli, ginger & coriander and char grilled to medium, served with mash & greens and finished with a veal and red wine reduction.
With the main meal we shared a bottle of Backsberg 2007 Cab Sav Merlot from South Africa - rich but at the same time smooth and it just complemented the food so well that we were sorry to see the bottom of the bottle.
The glasses are decorated with a picture of a hippo and I am sure I was not the only guest who was pleasantly surprised to see the head peeking out from my wine. :)
I have not seen hubbie so impressed with a steak for a very, very long time (if ever!) and partnered with the gorgeous red wine it was a birthday dinner to go in the record books. Bon appetit, everyone!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Great feed at this place. Far better then outback jacks or other such chains, and the meat is top shelf, and limited only by your wallet. The more you pay the better it is. Put the meat in your face and enjoy it.

Good choice of lubricants as well, with the James squires a fan winning performance

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was so let down with the "service" here.
I went to the Hippo Creek for lunch with my family and when we first walked in the manager on duty didn't even acknowledge us, i then asked if we were able to have a table etc - got seated with no eye contact or god forbid a smile. Once seated we waited for about half an hour to get a drinks and food order through, the service from there just got worse and worse. The food was remarkable, i give credit where its due. But the overall service was a let down to say the least. Since i work in a hotel in Scarborough i will never recommend this place to my guests. If your duty manager presents herself like that it's no wonder the team is the same.

2  Thank Cyoung524
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I was embarrassed on Wednesday evening to take a client to this establishment only to be told there were no tables. When we spotted a table outside and asked if we could be seated there the dull unimpressed staff sighed loudly and snapped back with "I told you NO!" Taken completely aback at this attitude when we were being nothing but polite we watched the cocky manager who looked more at home trying to flog a maroon commodore at a used card yard usher another couple past us that arrived after we did. Appalling in today's hospitality industry. We spent $156 on meals that night at another restaurant nearby where every cent was better spent avoiding the Hippo Creek. Avoid at all costs.

4  Thank S G