We really loved staying at the KIWR for three nights in June of 2009. We wanted to spend a lot of time at Flinder's Chase National Park so this was the perfect location, as it's one of the only (maybe THE only) hotel out on the far west side of the island. It is literally minutes from the park entrance, so we were often some of the first visitors there in the morning.
Our room was comfortable and clean. We were in a courtyard room so we had a deck going out to the courtyard with a little table & two chairs. We enjoyed coffee on the deck in the morning and a glass of wine on the deck in the evening. It was lovely to watch the little wallabies hop by! You may find a little bit of poop on your deck in the morning, but that's just what the animals do. My ONLY complaint about the room is that our room had an interior door connecting to the next room, and there was an inch gap at the bottom of the door. This means that we could often hear their voices and TV. A little annoying, considering we were some of the only guests in the courtyard rooms (why put us next to each other), but overall it wasn't a huge deal. I'm sure they would have moved us had we asked, but we didn't bother.
We only ate at the restaurant once, for breakfast one day. They had a nice continental breakfast and we filled up. We were the only people in the restaurant, so service was wonderful from our host! It was a little expensive, but well worth it for convenience.
The reception area is very spacious and inviting. Our first day there we were greeted by a fire in the stove. They have a basket of board games if you get bored, two computers with internet access, and a little store selling souvenirs, drinks, and snacks.
Overall, we loved our stay. If we were ever to go back to KI, we would stay here for sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated adjacent Flinders Chase National Park a unique mix of eco-friendly facilities, local food and wine and located in the middle of the forrest provide an unforgettable wilderness experience. The idyllic location provides the perfect base for discovering the splendor of Kangaroo Island's natural wonders before returning to the tranquillity of the retreat to enjoy comfortable accommodation in the company of friendly native animals and an amazing array of birdlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Hotel Flinders Chase
- Hotel Kangaroo Island
- Wilderness Retreat Kangaroo Island
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Flinders Chase