We recently stayed at KWIR as it is abbreviated by the locals. Our room had been fully renovated and was very comfortable. The rooms are well equipped for being in a remote area, beds comfortable. This is not a luxury hotel, and we didn't expect it to be. Unfortunately rainy weather kept us from seeing the reported wallabies - they were hiding from the rain! Note that August is the middle of winter down under! Nevertheless, this is a great location for exploring the Flinders Chase area. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Didn't have breakfast there due to the reported cost and negative comments from others. The recommendation to go to the nearby Koala Walk for breakfast was misleading - all they had was cold muffins and coffee. Dinner at the resort was fine; by necessity they have a limited menu but everything we tried was good, though service was on the slow side. The Flinders Chase visitors center is a good alternative for breakfast and lunch. Plan on two days to see the main sights on this end of the island. Also, be aware that the are only two paved highways on the island - the other dirt roads get pretty muddy and slippery in rain. We were glad to have an all-wheel drive Toyota especially when we had to ford water running across one of the main highways during a rainstorm - a word to the wise!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated adjacent Flinders Chase National Park a unique mix of eco-friendly facilities, local food and wine and located in the middle of the forrest provide an unforgettable wilderness experience. The idyllic location provides the perfect base for discovering the splendor of Kangaroo Island's natural wonders before returning to the tranquillity of the retreat to enjoy comfortable accommodation in the company of friendly native animals and an amazing array of birdlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Hotel Flinders Chase
- Hotel Kangaroo Island
- Wilderness Retreat Kangaroo Island
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat Flinders Chase