All reviewswoodward hutlight houselighthouse keeperskangaroo islandremote locationfriendly kangaroosstayed for two nightsgravel roadthe kitchenthe cottagesmickrangercannonsunsettoiletheatersa
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I spent my last night on a two-month trip in Cape Borda in the Woodward Hut and it was absolutely magical. I made the booking on site after a daytrip there, the place is so amazing it needs to be seen.
With an oceanview of 180 degrees, the only thing blocking it from the cabin window a beautiful lighthouse, you cannot go wrong.
Sunset, clear skies, kangaroos and wallabys hanging around and absolute silence. I was lucky enough to have the entire place to myself, there are two other cabins but they were empty for the night. I spent the evening in front of the lighthouse with a book and a glass of wine and had my dinner in the sunset. The peace and tranquillity will be with me for a long time.
Yes, it is very basic and my cabin had no running water but it's not a problem, it's part of the charm. It's clean and comfortable. You need to stock up on food but there is a rainwater tank with perfectly good water to drink. The cabin I stayed in was small but big enough for me, and the price is very reasonable.

You can really feel the presence of the history at this place, and it's easy to let the imagination run wild, trying to figure out how the lighthouse keepers lived and survived on this place. The exhibition showing pictures from the old days are very educational and interesting.

I would love to go back to Cape Borda, that place really gave me peace of mind and cleared my soul.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank annehedlund
Carol E, Guest Relations Manager at Cape Borda Lighthouse Keepers Heritage Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear annehedlund,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of your stay at Cape Borda! Your appreciation of the magnificent views, the company of wildlife, the sense of history and the peacefulness of Cape Borda is so rewarding to read about. You have clearly made a close connection with this special location during your stay in Woodward Hut and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We'd already stayed at Cape Willoughby, and this was even better. Lovely old period furniture; even an electric organ to play on ! We stayed in Flinders Light Lodge. Comfy, cosy rooms. Well-equipped kitchen. Watching the lighthouse beams shining out during a rain shower was so beautiful. As per Cape Willoughby, the last few kilometers of the road in is atrocious. If you're not in a full-blown 4WD be prepared to slow to about 20 km/h and even then you'll be shaken, blended, and dissolved into your constituent particles. How our car held together I'll never know. Worth the effort, but just so you know what to expect...

Room Tip: Flinders Light Lodge is the largest one at Cape Borda
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carol E, Guest Relations Manager at Cape Borda Lighthouse Keepers Heritage Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Scott O,

We’re very pleased to hear that your stay in Flinders Light Lodge was so comfortable! Although the journey to Cape Borda can sometimes be an adventure we’re pleased that your rewarding experience made it so worthwhile! Cape Borda is undoubtedly a very special location – thank you for your positive review!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in the historic Woodward Hut, basic, clean with all the facilities you need - upmarket camping really. But the location and enthusiasm of Ranger Mick make up for any short fall. Amazing location, great walks in the area, fantastic history, and the tour brings it all together. The rhythmic light sweeping across the grounds at night is a sight not to be missed

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Carolyn S,

It’s great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Cape Borda! Woodward Hut is attracting quite a following amongst those looking for simple accommodation in a fantastic location. Mick will be very pleased to receive your compliments!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Most of my time on Kangaroo Island, I based myself in Penneshaw and just spent one night in Hartley Hut at Cape Borda. On my next trip, I will do it the other way around without question. The hut itself is basic and has everything you need, but the location is what makes the experience truly spectacular. If you aren't into "remoteness", this isn't the place for you, but if you're looking for natural beauty where it can truly be appreciated in peace and tranquility, I doubt you could find a better place. I also doubt that you could find a host more passionate about the Cape Borda lighthouse and it's history as I found in Mick. He is a One Man Show of information about the place and even if you just come for the lighthouse tour, it's worth it. If you stay the night, it's even better. The sunset was spectacular and when that show was over, the lighthouse searchlight roamed the compound all night long. In my case, I even had the full moon! It was a night that I will never forget and I hope to get back again with my husband and friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear HollandJen

Yes, it is easy to fall in love with Cape Borda! It is clear that in just one overnight stay you made a profound connection with this magnificent remote location. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return with your husband and friends. Thank you very much for such a heart felt review of your experience at Cape Borda - it is an absolute pleasure to read!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed in Hartley Hut, not old not modern but comfortable all facilities needed. Location was to die for. The light sweeping accross the grounds at night was soothing and gave you a real connection. Beware the cliff top walk if your knees are dodgy, I recomend treking poles( I am 55 and have had 2 knee ops) The ranger is a real character and his tour is not to be missed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cathy C,

We’re pleased to hear that you were so comfortable in Hartley Hut! It is certainly a very special experience to stay overnight in the presence of the Cape Borda lighthouse - a reassuring sentinel in this spectacular location. The staff will be delighted to hear your compliments!