“Bad Bad Bad Management - not so close to the Airport”

Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Prior Velho
GreenLeadersGold level
Athens, Greece
“Bad Bad Bad Management - not so close to the Airport”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have tried to contact the hotel 2 months before my transit flight to book for a short hour stay (from 6am till 12 noon) during my transit in Lisbon airport on my way from a flight from Africa to Asia. I was told by Mr Carmelo, hotel staff, to book the hole night through their site. I did so and I gave them a notice in the booking for the time of my arrival. I guaranteed my booking with my credit card. This was 2 months before.
When I arrived in the hotel I was told that the hotel was fully booked and my booking was cancelled at 1600 on the previous day , because my credit card "did not work with them" as they told me. I told them why they did not send me an email or give me a call the day before, or even earlier when they had the chance to check my credit card, but I got no answer.The receptionist was looking at me speechless. They only offered me to book a room in the nearby hotel almost double the price from what I have booked. I told them that they had to find me a room at the same price and instead they called me a taxi to take me back to the airport. I lost 16 euros for the taxis to go and return to the airport 1 hour and at last I had to wait for 5 hours blocked in airport, having ahead another 10 hours of Journey and already 8 hours flown.
I find the hole behavior totally unacceptable and I will think next time to book a room in the HIexpress- it seems so unreliable at last.

I also agree with "BorisLuLu" “Can't be described as close to Airport”
plus watch out for the Taxi drivers from the airport ripping you off -They have to use taximeter !! I had to call for the police when a driver insisted on a fixed price of 15euro - And I speak a little Portuguese. The police instead of punishing him, or even take the No of the plate they offered me that he would drive me with the taximeter..........I think that they cooperate with the taxi drivers........

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aggelos M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Aggelos M,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Lisbon.

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Weston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is a clean attractive hotel for the quick 'in and out' traveler to Lisbon. It's located close to the airport, and the shuttle costs only 5 euros. Free internet in the lobby for those not carrying laptops. The only 'downside,' if you can even call it that, is that the hotel is a moderate bus ride from the historic city center. I didn't mind this because of the savings of staying near the airport, and because the bus stops 2 block from the hotel, and then is a straight shot downtown. I will certainly stay here again when back in Lisbon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
HIELisAirportStaff, Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Jean G,

Thank you so much for choosing Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport and for taking time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us.

We've really appreciated your review. It has been forward to our team.

Looking foward to welcome you again.

Kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I don't understand why this hotel can be called Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport when it is a 10 Euro taxi ride away from the airport. It is located in the middle of nowhere on an Industrial Estate.
I would not recommend this hotel unless you have your own transport from the airport, plus watch out for the Taxi drivers from the airport ripping you off. We paid 10 Euros for one trip and then 13 Euros for the 2nd trip.
The hotel does have a shuttle car service to the airport at a cost of 6 Euro for a single person or 8 Euro for two people.
We used this hotel for a stop over in Lisbon and to spend a day having a look at the city but I would recommend you find a hotel close to a metro if you want to explore the City. Our stay in this hotel cost us an extra 30 Euros in taxis, 8 Euros for shuttle care and then 2x 6 Euros for metro day travel cards. The extra 38 Euros could have got us a nicer hotel.

1 Thank BorisLuLu
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear BorisLuLu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for staying with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by some aspects of our hotel amenities and if you found the shuttle service less than satisfactory. Our goal is to consistently provide excellent service and accommodations and your comments are highly important. I appreciate your candid feedback and welcome any opportunity to improve our hotel.

Once again, thank you for posting your comments.

Zelyn N
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I guess many before have used this hotel because of their early morning connecting flight. It's proximity to the airport really lends to this idea perfectly. Also the staff at the hotel is well trained to cater the needs to those that want to quickly check in and out at odd hours.

I stayed here two nights both for a early morning connecting flight. Before I choose the hotel I read some of the other reviews and remembered the warnings on the shuttle bus. The first evening I arrived late at the airport and was told by the information desk that the shuttle did not run this late in the evening. Luckily the queue for the taxi stand was short and I was quickly able to get to the hotel. The second time I arrived was in the afternoon. This time I set a goal to get the shuttle as the queue for the taxi stand was huge.
What I learnt: Don't follow the signs in the airport that mention hotel transfers/hotel shuttle. They will bring you to a parking area for holiday busses. Ask at the information desk for the hotel shuttle, or better, go to a small black and yellow stand behind the ice cream stand and order the shuttle to the hotel. Don't be surprised to wait for a while. Another thing I have learnt. The shuttle service is not owned and operated by the hotel. It is an independent service that shuttles to other hotels as well. So the hotel cannot control it.

Back to the hotel. The welcoming by the staff at the desk was warm and friendly. The check in time was very quickly. As this is an express hotel, I wasn't able to get any special perk as a gold member of the Priority Club my perk other then free internet. But for such a short stay the perk was a nice. Rooms are good and clean. The bed is a little on the hard side, but good enough to catch a few hours of sleep. The sound isolation between rooms is OK.

I did eat dinner in the restaurant. I may have made the wrong choice on ordering a tuna salad, as it was canned tuna with beans and nothing really fresh. Other food did look good, and the choice of ordering pizza might have even a better option.

All in all, a good hotel for connecting flights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 14NABster
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

'Standard Double Room' has a different meaning for Holiday Inn Express than any other hotel I've ever used. To me 'Standard' means not an executive room, not a sea view, not larger than most etc. and 'Double Room' means one large bed for two people as opposed to a twin bedded room with two separate beds. We'd booked a double but were given a twin (using my terminology, not Holidays Inn's).

Returned to Reception with our printed confirmation from booking.com saying the booking was for a Standard Double Room. Reception were very polite but said that far as they were concerned they were able to allocate whatever type of room they had available. Then the very polite lady manager was called. She explained that Holiday Inn Express hotels only had one type of room and they described this as standard and that for Holiday Inn this meant either a room with one large bed, or a room with two beds. Holiday Inn did not offer a choice between what I'd call a double and a twin bed room. Double and twin bedded were terms used by booking.com and not by Holiday Inn she explained. Dumbfounded, I asked how I was expected to know something which is contrary to all the other hotels I've used the world over, before checking-in. 'Have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before"? she asked. I had to answer no (and probably wont ever again after this since my wife and I don't like separate beds). My admission to not having used Holiday Inn Express before seemed to satisfy her that I really didn't know they were not like other hotels.

After all this discussion they managed to find us a room with a double bed and very, very good it was too! If I were to give hem a rating on the room, value, amenities etc it would be 4.5 out of 5. But not having the ability to book either a double or twin-bedded room totally spoils the experience.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure of a getting either a room with a double bed, or one with two beds, book anot...
3 Thank indetraveller
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear indetraveller,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations specifically with the confusion on the bed types. On the other hand, I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with your stay, these were soon sorted and this allowed you to enjoy your stay with us. We will always endeavor to ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable.

Karen G.

Travelers are raving about these Prior Velho hotels

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had a flew into Lisbon late one night and stayed at this hotel before leaving the next morning for another destination. It was a pleasant surprise. The room was contempory, clean, comfortable and a good place to settle down after a long day of travel. The breakfast the next day exceeded our expectations for the brand, and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. it was convenient to the airport (just under 10 euro cab ride that night and a 4 euro transfer in the morning). I highly recommend it, if you want to locate close to the airport.

Parrsboro, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We chose this hotel because of proximity to the airport as we had an early flight. The staff were friendly, the room clean and bright and the bed extremely comfortable. I agree with others re the one hour free Wi-Fi. Unfortunately the nickle and dime attitude (the wi-fi, luggage scale which you fed like a parking meter) took away from the overall stay. We had a great dinner at a local restaurant 5 minutes down the street though the industrial district in which the hotel is located is not one where you want to walk after dinner. The breakfast buffet was adequate to get us going in the morning and the airport shuttle was very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the parking lot, not the street.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prior Velho
TRYP Lisboa Oriente Hotel
Hotel Olissippo Oriente
Hotel Olissippo Oriente
#86 of 247 in Lisbon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport? Share your experiences!