TripAdvisor
All reviewswedding venuesteak nightsunday lunchwedding receptionchristmas party nightwedding breakfastthe main housedance floordaughter's weddingroast beeflovely venuebirthday mealwedding guestslittle toucheslounge areapuddingample parking
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Refreshing change from the hotel chains, pretty and quaint. Good service, cosy bedrooms and lovely surroundings.

Travelled on business and would stay here again in preference to other well know hotel groups.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Courtyardhotel54, Owner at The Stanwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. Because we are rural wi-fi is a nightmare. The speed in the area is so slow and we can't do anything about it, In the main house Rooms 1 & 2 have the strongest signal but in the guest lounge or the bars it is fine.
Glad you enjoyed your stay
Jo & Team Courtyard

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights visiting relatives in the area. The room was comfortable and well equipped with a very large ensuite. The food was good and we entertained friends there, the evening meals were excellent. The conservatory dining room overlooking the garden is very pleasing. Could not get WIFI in the room though. Would probably want to avoid weekends in future as it got taken over by celebration functions and its also a popular wedding reception venue.

Room Tip: A room in the original house rather than the annexe is by far the best option. A different quality altogether.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. It is always of value.
Jo & Team Courtyard

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed over on valentines ball (Saturday 16th) I have to say I never stayed in a more unique and quirky little hotel that excel in giving 1st class service but not just good service it personal. Taking time out of there busy work to have chat with me and my wife just nice touch!
The night went down a treat from the food, top notch tentative staff and brilliant entertainment of the live band ...Value for money!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Courtyardhotel54, Owner at The Stanwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you so much for showing your appreciation!
It lifts our spirits! We always try to do our best.
Jo & Team Couurtyard

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Courtyard is "Nice. It doesn't excel, but it doesn't offend either. It is reasonably priced, rooms are very clean and comfortable and the food is slightly above average pub grub. I didn't try the more extensive dinner menu but it looked ambitious. The chef tried hard with a little amuse bouche before the soup - a nice try but it was really just prawn cocktail on a small piece of toast - better to focus on serving good honest meals and miss out the fancy stuff. Breakfast was superb, well cooked and plenty of it. Service was keen and polite from a very friendly staff.

So why only "nice" - well the hotel is a little tired. Bedrooms are not full on chintzy although that appears to be the aim, but they are let down by retention (addition?) of 70s and 80s decor. They are set apart from the main building in what looks like the original house. The refurbishment creates some decent sized bedrooms but it has not been done with great style. There is a separate, shared living room which I didn't use but which looked very cosy. Bedrooms are a short walk to the main building and an umbrella is provided - a nice touch as this part of the world can be a wet and windy. The outside of the hotel is pure 1970s with a large conservatory - which serves as the main dining room - tacked on. Frankly it was all a bit of an eyesore. The mixed timeline theme continued with 21st Century WiFi in every room but 20th Century bandwidth making it almost inoperable. However, a kind hotel neighbour left his Netgear connection open so I piggybacked on that!!!

I would happily stay here again for a short visit, but would hope that the management go back to some of the fundamentals that they obviously can do so well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Courtyardhotel54, Owner at The Stanwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Well I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast!
Thanks for the extensive critique. We are a small hotel in a rural location which only began in 2004 with 6 rooms in the main house, where the guest lounge is, which is deliberately "chintzy" in keeping with the 1930's original building.
The rest of the Hotel has been added since then driven by customer demand. I am sorry if you found the style to be 70's. Perhaps I am getting old!
Most of our regular customers love us and we don't serve "amuse bouche" at this moment in time we just give all our customers, whether they want the full menu or a smaller meal, a "complimentery appetiser". We like to be relaxed friendly and informal.
The wi-fi I can do nothing to improve because of our rural location. I have lots of boosters and the signal is better in some places and at some times than others.
Come back again in the Summer and see the 2 acres of gardens blending with the buildings
Jo

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Courtyard is what it just says....and there-in lies the first problem, when some guests returned to their rooms, firstly the Courtyard echoed their 'early-morning enjoyment' and secondly the walls between the rooms were a little thin to ensure privacy from the next room. The Breakfast room was pleasant and airy with sufficient space between tables for 'eating privacy' but when we visited the breakfast bar...the food all looked superb but the bacon was only just warm. A disappointing outcome to breakfast and difficult to 'express' to the foreign staff, however, a welcoming and charming place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Courtyardhotel54, Owner at The Stanwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

This is a very difficult problem for me to solve as I don't know exactly when you stayed but I am guessing Valentines Ball? I have never encountered problems with the walls being too thin before.
I only have two non British staff and both of them speak perfect English and would have known what to do about the bacon.
I can only offer my apologies.
Jo