All reviews wave park great waves surf trip surf guide pandan world class paddle boards great food three weeks private beach counting the days whole family next year tropical island feel right at home different options the kitchen staff
Reviewed May 16, 2015

My boyfriend Tim had visited the Mentawai Islands before but this was our first trip to WavePark Mentawai Resort. It was the most amazing few weeks, an unforgettable holiday!

I am a non surfer but still had the best time ever! I was happy to read books, swim, fish, snorkel, get some lessons in body boarding with Christie, try and play the guitar! Eat, drink and just be merry! Tim loves to surf, he had a permanent smile on his face from day one, such good waves to surf, he was in his element everyday :)
We witnessed some of the most incredible mesmerising sunsets, often sat by a fire on the beach!
Food-So yummy, thanks Nor! You made the most delicious tuna sashimi, wow! And those bacon baps, mmm. Oh, and those amazing omelettes, and poached eggs! So good.
Location-Is like a dream! Turquoise crystal clear water! Fine white sand, sweeping palm trees, just such gorgeous surroundings!
Accommodation-So awesome, Nothing better than waking up to the sound of the waves. I loved the shower, we were often joined by little frogs in the mornings! The bungalow was just perfect. Lots of our time was spent on the terrace looking out to the ocean and watching the sunsets.
Surf-Tim would often arrive back and say 'I had the best wave of my life today!'
Staff-Christie, Alice, Brandon and everyone else, we thank you for making our holiday undoubtedly the best ever! You guys rock! You really go out of your way to make each and everyone's time just perfect!
Tim will be staying with you guys in a couple of weeks again (so lucky) and I hope to see you at the end of the year!

A few things to remember: mosquito repellent, rain coat and sun block! If you forget anything at all, Alice does everything she can to help :)

Room tip: We stayed in Bungalow 1, we loved it! Amazing outdoor bathroom :) I am sure they are all just as awesome.
Date of stay: January 2015
1  Thank levieestbelle
wavepark, Owner at WavePark Mentawai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2015

Hi Life is Beautiful,
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences about WavePark. I'm feeling doubly special that you've been a part of tripadvisor since 2009, been to 67 locations, but this is your first review!
Thanks also for being a part in our "early season" experiment this year. Your trip was one of the reasons we decided to make the offer permanent. We're looking forward to seeing Tim in early June, and perhaps we can see both of you again in October on your next break? If you have time, please post some photos from your trip. There's a few with the great fish that you and Mike caught, and the ones of you and Alice playing with the floaty rings on the beach. I've got a couple great pics of you and Tim enjoying a sunset by the bonfire we made; I think I gave those to you already? Until next time, Cheers!

Reviewed May 16, 2015

Christie, Alice, Shane and all the crew work tirelessly and thoughtfully to provide an amazing and complete experience. The island is a beautiful location and the wavepark resort blends tastefully and immaculately into its idealic surrounds.

This was my second trip to wavepark and I can certainly attest to the fact that the number and variety of quality waves in all conditions, to suit all standards of surfers, is definitely not just 'brochure hype'. But the thing that tops that off at wavepark is Christie and Shane's ability to read the conditions and crowds and find great waves and more often than not with just your crew out.

The quality and variety of food is provided in abundance for three meals a day and ensures meal time is an experience in itself.

One of the great lasting memories of both my trips is sitting back on the boat at the end of another day of great waves, cracking a cold beer, and watching another amazing sunset as you motor back to the wavepark resort.

I will definitely be back - can't wait!!!!!!

Thanks again

Room tip: All bungalows have great views over the bay and Hideaways
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Mark A
wavepark, Owner at WavePark Mentawai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2015

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the great review. It really adds to the job satisfaction to hear how happy our guests are at the end of their trip. We were stoked you could come back and join the Jimmy James tour again. The "Ocean's '11" original team will always be the best, but we appreciate y'all trying to bring it up a notch with the newbies. It was a really fun trip this year, good to get some young blood in the mix, and to welcome back the regulars. I think the variety of waves we got this year was special, and it seemed there was a wave breaking to everyone's liking and skill. Your trip is recorded in the shot of the day archives, so the "Ocean's '15" team can relive the glory: http://www.wavepark.com/index.php?option=com_resort&view=sotd&selectedTrip=185#1583 Cheers!

Reviewed May 10, 2015

Myself, my husband and our 10 month old daughter went to Wave Park in March. My husband had been there before on a boys surf trip and loved it. He raved about how amazing it was there. So after I had our daughter we decided to go on a family holiday there. We had the most wonderful time at Wave Park! I don't surf but still absolutely loved it. The place is gorgeous, absolute paradise. The water is the most beautiful color and listening to the waves right outside your front door each night was blissful! The accomodations were great, the huge outdoor shower was luxurious. Taking a shower with the smell of the Frangipani's was like being in a spa. The food was awesome and I'm a fussy eater too so that's saying something. They serve three big meals a day in the main lodge so all the guests on the Island for that trip get to know each other. The staff are wonderful and they were so accommodating with our needs for our baby girl, whether it was special meals made for her or making a barrier for the stairs on the front porch of our villa or just getting a bucket with a lid for soiled nappies, every need was met with ease. As far as the surf my fella says it's great even in the off season, but it's seriously pumping during the regular season. He's goofy footed and loves Hideaways which is the a left handed wave right in front of the resort. They have stand up paddle boards, kayaks and snorkelling gear for when the surfers are taking a break from the waves or perfect for me as I don't surf. They also have cooking classes and trails you can hike across the island for those who are keen. I'm happy to swim, read books and snorkel all day followed by an afternoon cocktail but that's just me We will keep coming back to Wave Park again and again. Between the incredibly gorgeous surroundings, the wonderful staff, great food, tons of waves every day, fab accommodation and how helpful they were with our needs for our little bub they ticked every box for us. We really couldn't even list a complaint if we tried other than the fact that we had to leave when our trip was over. It's a great place for couples, families, people who don't surf or people who want to spend all day surfing. We highly recommend it and can't praise the staff and beautiful resort enough.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
wavepark, Owner at WavePark Mentawai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2015

Hi Whitney,
Wow, this might be the best review we've ever had! Thanks so much for sharing with the world the experience of your trip. We've tried hard over the years to let people know that WavePark specializes in more than just surfing, and that families have a great time here too. Unfortunately Mentawai is unknown in mainstream media to be a premiere destination for the other things that you mention, and your review will help to get the word out there. Tellingly, 4 of our reviews are now from families that have stayed with us.
Roxie was our youngest guest ever, and we're so stoked that you and Hamish were willing to break new ground with us! What a beautiful little human that you two have brought into the world, and thank you for bringing her to meet us. We look forward to hosting you again, and seeing Roxie running around (instead of crawling) the next time we meet. Regards to Hamish, he'll be spewing to see "shot of the day" on the website for the next couple weeks. His favorite wave is pumping... Cheers!

Reviewed April 17, 2015

We have just spent the most amazing 10 days at WavePark. So why is it so good?
5 star resort, with first class service, with that personal touch and just add perfect waves.
The moment you are met at the airport with a cold towel and a cool drink & a big smile you realise your in for a special trip.
After spending a night in Padang we were transported to the harbour for trip to the island on Sampan Buru WaveParks own speed boat that gets you to your island paradise in about 4 hours. All the staff are on the beach to welcome you as you arrive.

Accommodation Fantastic.
Food to die for.
Staff so friendly.
Surf Soooooooooooooo Good.

Christie & Alice have created the perfect resort with a real smooth operation. A massive bonus for me that my daily coffee fixes were met with Christie & his coffee machine!!!:)
If your a single surfer, a couple, a surfing group or a family trust me WavePark is a must.

I can't wait to return, I will be Back. :)

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
wavepark, Owner at WavePark Mentawai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2015

Davo!
Thanks so much for the kind words. It was such a pleasure hosting you, Debbie and Asha. What a treat to have our small intimate group with the island to ourselves, and I can't believe how many great waves we scored everyday right out front. All three of you should be proud with how much you progressed on the trip. The only problem is your home break won't seem as exciting now... Keep pushing the envelope and we'll be ready for you when you decide to take another crack at the waves around here. Until then, love to Debs and Cheers!

Reviewed April 14, 2015

The excellent service begins at the airport as your picked up and taken to the hotel. The resort is beautiful, bungalows gorgeous and the food amazing. There is nothing to fault at all. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful from the kitchen staff to the boat crew and housekeeping. Everyone has a smile. Alice and Christie have created this paradise which is hard to beat. The waves were awesome. There were only 3surfers for the week so most of the time we had hideaways to ourselves with the excellent supervision and help from Christie and Shane. We aren't expert surfers so were so glad that we were taken to places that we could test ourselves but was within our ability. I would highly recommend Wavepark to everyone whether a family, couple or travelling alone. The most beautiful place to visit and chill.

3  Thank Debbie M
wavepark, Owner at WavePark Mentawai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2015

Hi Debbie,
thanks for your glowing report. It was a great trip for us as well. So relaxing on land, and wonderful that Hideaways would turn on for us everyday like that. It was our pleasure to call you into those great waves, you and Davo should be proud how much you improved in 1 trip! I know Alice was jealous of your beautiful longboards. Could you post some of your pictures to show others that there are mellow, fun waves right out front? We want more guests like you and Davo. Cheers!