“exceptional stuff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mentawai Islands
WavePark Mentawai Resort
Dunsborough, Australia
“exceptional stuff”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Hot showers in cool rain. A holiday chalet 10 metres from the waters edge. A pretty much private beach. Deck chairs overlooking empty turquoise waters and luxury little holiday house nestled in rainforest with only the sounds of the (epic) waves out front and the rustling of coconut trees. Really what more could you possibly want?

The owners have made also huge effort to think about and balance the environmental impact of tourism in the area and provide local employment and flow on benefits for the local communities. This is my eleventh trip to Indo including several other Mentawai trips and five star bali resorts and this place is pretty bloody good.

Unlike some other surf destinations I also felt really safe. As girls travelling on our own we had absolutely no hassle, which was a really refreshing change from the usual surf camp saga. My only complaint would be breakfast (take some protein bars), the lunches and dinners are five star.
For a quality surf trip with luxury trimmings this would have to be number one option for me.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank reefmagnet

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Clemente, California
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Let me start with ... "I LOVED WAVEPARK!".

I travelled to Indonesia for great waves.
I got great waves and a LOT more.
This place is remote, a 5 hour fast boat ride off the west coast of Sumatra.

Despite this, the attention to all the little details with the accomodations,

food, and the resort overall is amazing.
MOST of all... the WAVEPARK crew was tremendous. They were an excellent

TEAM and they were the reason that everyone in our group had a great

experience.
Whether you are surfing or just want an idyllic island to snorkel,

paddleboard, kayak, or just chill out, WAVEPARK is it.

I had to go half way around the world to get there, and I hope to do it again...

at WAVEPARK!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LeoM3
Dunsborough, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2011

If you're looking for a Mentawai surf resort, you won't go wrong with WavePark.

My (non-surfing) wife and I stayed here in 2010 and had a fantastic holiday.

Few places in the world can boast a private island in a beautiful and pristine setting. The Mentawais are rightly famous in the surfing world, and at WavePark you have access to more than a dozen breaks within a 20min speedboat ride.

There's heaps of waves on offer, and they run two different speed boats to the surf so that everyone can surf waves suitable to their ability. Shane was our surf guide and knows the area and surf conditions like the back of his hand. I've spent a bit of time in this part of the world, and he made a couple of great calls in finding surf when the weather was tricky.

There's lots of non-surfing activities on offer too - the walk around the island is stunning, there's excellent snorkelling in the lagoon out the front, and complimentary kayaks and paddleboards for guest use. The bar is great, plus they've got all the mod cons to keep you entertained on a remote island - internet, pool table and ping pong.

Chrisite and Alice have a great sense of style - the way the resort has been designed and all the little touches are fantastic. It retains a wonderful tropical island feel while also being decidedly upmarket.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank surfspook
wavepark, Owner at WavePark Mentawai Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us Surf Spook. Great to meet your wife as well, and we look forward to seeing you both again soon. Just an update on your review: in 2012 we knocked down our 2 story beach house and built 3 new bungalows. So now, the only option for our guests ARE the bungalows, no choosing necessary. Check out the photos of the bungalows from the management profile to see how we've brought it up a notch, again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2011

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, unless you know about this place, you won't know about it. With only 12 guests at a time (there were only 7 when I was there) this surf resort would have to be one of the best kept secrets around. That you won't read about it in magazines or see it advertised in glossy publications is what makes the Wavepark experience so special. There are many regulars, in fact there is a homely atmosphere that makes the first-timers soon want to return. It can't be easy, in fact I suspect it's extremely difficult, running a resort 100 nautical miles off the coast of Sumatra but the way that fact escapes the notice of the guests is testament to what a good job Christie and Alice do. Oh, and the surf's good too!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank stephen255060
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My surf-trip/holiday with old school mates in the Mentawais was a dream come true, and Wavepark Hideaways made that possible with Christie, Alice, Brandon and Shane's professional and simply outstanding offering, backed up by a brilliant support crew. By far the best holiday of my life, and then there were the waves, which of course is the best point.

From the amazingly beautiful island itself, to the stylish accommodations, (stay in the new bungalows if you can) to the friendly staff, sussed surf guides, slick transportation, delicious food (I could go on) there was simply nothing to fault, and everything to praise.

The island on which the resort is situated and its 'Hideaways' break is worth the journey from wherever you are, yet Wavepark's knowledge of all the breaks within a short boat ride away (Spankers, Bang Bang, Playgrounds, Rifles, Pistols etc), creates variety in all wind and tide conditions. There was not one day we couldn't surf, and most of us surfed three sessions a day of GREAT surf, and there is snorkeling, fishing, and much else to do besides.

Every dinner begins with a slideshow of pics ably taken by Alice, and its a wonderful way to recap and learn, and of course inspire for the next day.

And of course when one surfs two or three times a day, you need FOOD and lots of it. Over ten days we did not eat the same dish twice, and this is a feat for a chef to achieve anywhere on earth, let alone in as remote a place as the Mentawais. Hats off to Wavepark! I would go back for the Lasagna alone.

Simply the most beautiful place I have ever been, and it cured my fear of coral reefs once and for all! Once again, thank you guys! I will be back!

Don

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank JustinRBoyd
wavepark, Owner at WavePark Mentawai Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Hi WW,
thanks for being our first reviewer! I see that your "sleep quality" was less than perfect, and I do remember your comment about your bed being a little too soft. Don't worry, we're onto it. In 2012 we're changing out all our beds, and hopefully next time you come we can get a 5 start rating for sleep quality!
Thanks again.
Krui Mutun Walur Surf Camp Guest House
Surf Camp Siberut
Surf Camp Siberut
#5 of 7 in Siberut

Been to WavePark Mentawai Resort? Share your experiences!