“TIKUUUS GEORGIOOO”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mentawai Islands
Aloita Resort & Spa
perth
“TIKUUUS GEORGIOOO”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Spent two weeks at Aloita.

Best waves of my life. Kahn was all over it. We surfed more than 20 times and I reckon Kahn made the right call every time. He's all about avoiding crowds and nailing the right wind/swell combo. He has the place dialled. Listen to him and you will score.

Great food. I half expected to get sick of the same kitchen but I never did - it is very legit indeed. Eating healthy food for two weeks is a bonus. Fresh fish, fresh veges, bannana smoothies, so good.

Rooms were pretty sweet also. Able to sleep between surfs and after surfs. If anyone was raging at the bar - as we sometimes did - you still sleep in peace and quiet in your room which is a big bonus.

Alessandro/Mario/Georgio/Kahn you boys were fantastic, like another family for two weeks. All the staff that help out are on that positive energy trip, testament to the great management of the place.

Loved it, would love to return. Probably take my missus next time.

Craig

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cliffrichards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
Kadina, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My Partner and I spent the first week of July at aloita resort with another couple and loved every minute of it. Its in the perfect location with lovely staff. My partner Stuart is a surfer while I am not, however I never got bored.

Organisation: Everything was very easy to book, allessandro took care of everything and answered all my countless questions by email before we had even arrived. He organised us to stay in a hotel in Padang (the HW hotel, which was also great) the night before we went to aloita due to our flight schedule. he also made sure someone was waiting at the airport for us. We ended up using the speedboat option and while it was expensive we could tell it was the easiest way to get there and back, we would choose this option again. The whole process was all very easy, which was well appreciated after the long day of travelling we had.

Accommodation: The bungalows are very spacious and have everything you need comfy bed, air-con, fridge etc. We loved the outdoor shower out the back which was great for keeping the sand outside. Bungalows were cleaned twice a day which was more than enough.

Surf: awesome, Stuart had some of the best surf of his life even though cahn (the surf guide) thought the conditions weren’t that great as apparently it was quite small while we were there, which was probably a good thing for Stuart as it was the biggest waves he had ever surfed. Cahn was great and got the boys into the best surf for them, checking the reports and taking them to the best locations based on the conditions each day and encouraged them to take waves they thought they never would. I went on the boat with them to watch and take photos twice and cahn even got them to park the boat in the best spot for me to take pictures.

Diving: Myself and my friend tried out diving and ended up doing our open water diving course. Mario the dive instructor made us feel safe the entire time mad explained all the activities very well. We got to see a lot of cool things underwater including an eel, a turtle and countless different types of fish.

Food: all the food was very nice, we had a lot of fresh fish but we also had pasta one night and chops another night. Susanna the cook does an excellent job.

Activities: we went on a day trip to the waterfall, which was amazing. We rode scooters and then went on a bit of a trek to get to the waterfall which was a lot of fun and then got to swim under the waterfall. It was also very well priced at on $30 per person, well worth it. Afterwards we also had a bit of a look around the capital of the mentawais and stocked up on snacks (we couldn’t believe how cheap everything was)
The snorkelling around the resort is also amazing and I spent endless hours swimming around looking at stuff right out the front of our bungalow.

Spa: to be honest im not much of a massage person (pervious experience in Thailand put me off) but I thought id give it a go anyway and it was the best massage I ever had. Ask for nelvie she was great.

I had a birthday while we were there and the staff made me a cake and everything, they sang and made a big fuss. It was lovely.

Overall the whole experience was excellent and we hope to return one day, we made some new friends and had the best holiday. Thanks to all the staff who made our stay so great.
Brooke and Stuart

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same really, we had rooms 4 and 5 and the snorkling out the front otf the was...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Had a great 2 weeks at Aloita. =)
Staff were all friendly and I loved the laid back approach to everything. The diving was all set up around me. I could dive whenever I wanted which was great for me as I was taking photos and I was able to take advantage of the best light. I am a beginner surfer but Kahn took me out in his own time to give me some tips. It was awesome!! Instant success and now I am hooked! =)
Aloita definitely offer a good mix between activities and a relaxing environment. You can be as busy or chilled as you like =) Loved it!

I will definitely be back soon.

Cheers guys!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have travelled a lot around the world, and I can firmly state that Aloita is the perfect combination between pure, untouched and wild landscape, with all the commodities of a 5 star hotel.
I was impressed, not only for the paradise in which it's located (best consistent surfing waves of the world just around the corner, and an amazing sea life for scuba lovers), but also with the quality of Aloita itself. The rooms are very clean, with all necessary amenities, the food is out of this world (great variety of seafood served every day), massages are outstanding, and what is most important, you'll always feel as comfortable as home. Also, Khan, the Surf guide is the best of the area, that's for sure.
I guarantee you won't find a better place to stay at in the Mentawai Islands, or in all West Sumatra.
Price-quality is simply perfect.

Thanks Alessandro, Mario, Giorgio, Khan an the rest of the crew for the best trip ever, and giving me the chance to catch the biggest wave of my life! We'll be back soon.
Fuerte Abrazo. AG

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Agancedo
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

We travelled here with another couple. Stoked about the surf for the guys, spa and fishing for the ladies, and relaxing for all. Two complaints... we felt a bit deceived in a couple areas due to the website and the surfguide Caan. Overall we had a great time and enjoyed the other guests and staff during meals, playing pool, hanging out in the bar, surfing, and trekking. For being so remote, we appreciated the functionality and island life at Aloita immensely.

Location: beautiful, dreamy, off the radar, perfect!

Accommodation: Think luxury camping not 5 star resort. For being off the grid the accommodations were perfect. Our AC broke for 2 nights, but was fixed ASAP. Daily cleaning - change of sheets on request. Eco friendly attempts. Our bed was pretty uncomfortable (2 cushion lacking twins pushed together - when I specifically confirmed in the bookings that a "double" did not mean twins).

Food/Service: Very friendly, a variety of meals with some staple items throughout the week. We celebrated a birthday and they prepared a cake with a name and everything- very thoughtfull! I wanted to jump in the kitchen with Suzanna and take a cooking class.

Surf: What is not to love about the Mentawais? Seriously. A wave just a short walk from the resort if you are not up for a boat ride. The boat was full with at least 10 surfers half the week then mellowed out. Was disappointed in the surfguide - seemed to be out for himself, standoffish, and an aggressive encounter towards guests on 2 occasions.

Fishing: Super friendly, great effort, had fun. However, inexperienced and poor equipment. Not what I was hoping for. Made the best, as well as snorkeled during the outing.

Spa: The spa facility had so much potential! It felt like an abandoned part of the resort. Only one type of massage was available. No facials, no body treatments. The massages I did receive were nice traditional Balinese style with friendly, competent staff. There was a motor of some sort outside somewhere during the massage and no AC. This was not a SPA. It was not an awful experience, just a bit disappointed.

Trekking to the waterfall was a fun adventure off the island. Saw a bit of the town and followed a couple locals with machetes through the forest.

NBA flight is what we took, however be advised boards are not included, so add about $200-300 roundtrip and a shoddy airline (the job gets done, it’s not your big budget airline – all part of the adventure right?!) With all the traveling and after talking with ferry riders, it seems this is the best method for transport from Padang.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 858Hokie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

We felt like at home, best place to stay in sipura island, waves like suicides and icelands nearby and much much more!
Super clean and the best is clearly the food and service!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Peet88_
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

After an overnight ferry I was stoked to be greeted by friendly people on what only can be described as a dreamland.

White sand, palm fringed beaches, clear blue water and warm smiles.

We had 7 nights of sun, great surf, laughs and many bintangs.

Great service and beautiful, clean rooms. The only suggestion I have is to serve dinner a little earlier.

Thanks to everyone at Aloita

Room Tip: Lower numbers are closer to restaurant and bar
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Matungou - Mentawai Surf
Surf Camp Siberut
Surf Camp Siberut
#5 of 7 in Siberut

Been to Aloita Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!