“Clean but expensive”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Belmont Motor Lodge
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed in a very clean and modern suite although I found it to be expensive given that Porirua is not a main city like Wellington. When I questioned the price I was told they cater to corporate clients. The central shopping centre was a relatively short walk although there is a big motorway to get across - there is a separate walkway for this. And there are slim pickings for evening meals unless you like takeaways and Denny's & Burger King.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was recommended this property by a business colleague and now I would not stay anywhere else. The units are so clean and immaculately presented, the owners so friendly and helpful.
I loved the fact the property was one level and that I could park outside my room. There was free wireless internet and a great selection of movies which were also free. Great motel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just gotta say a big thanx to Brian and Susie for a most comfortable stay in superior clean and tidy facility. I found them to be very friendly and with an accommodating disposition.My wife and I often travel around this great country of ours and due to having a mobilty issue (amputee) I tend to require a better than average style of accommodation,this motel is up with the best. Our room was serviced every day and although we hadnt booked for 4 nights just had a day by day type of deal we felt really comfy and used the Belmont for a base whilst we explored the region finding it very central to our needs. We then found we were standing on shakey ground (Friday 16th August 6.6 Mag shake), our hosts made us feel safe and secure. We shall return to explore some more one day soon and WILL definitly stay @ The Belmont Porirua. Thanx again "The Hosts" Brian and Susie.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had planned a trip around the North Island, so we wanted to find somewhere to stay in Wellington. When we looked at how much the hotels were charging for car parking, we decided to find somewhere outside Wellington. I used to live in Tawa, near Porirua, so it was the first place we looked ... and we found the Belmont Lodge.

To be honest, our overall experience far exceeded our expectations. Our room was so clean and comfortable, and the elderly couple at reception were so friendly to us. They told us that they were looking after the place while the owners were on holiday, so all we can say is that they did an excellent job!

The good thing about this motel is that it is within walking distance to the train station, so it was very easy for us to go into Wellington or just walk over to Porirua's city centre.

If we ever go back to Wellington again, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We found the facilities to be excellent. We were extremely disappointed however with the poor level of customer service, particularly from the "lady of the manor" who in our view was extremely aggressive and ignorant. "We don't normally have your kind of people staying here" is not the sort of comment one would expect as a paying guest. I'm not sure if it was because we were a family group or not. I just hope it wasn't because of ethnicity.Sadly however I'm forced to conclude it was perhaps a bit of both. Overall very disappointing and not to be recomended.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Tom M
brianpatrick, Owner at Belmont Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

This review was written in conjunction with the review from GabePara and I suspect she wrote this review for him. This woman said she will continue to write bad reviews even though she will never stay here again. Hell hath no fury than a woman caught out intentionally lying so that she can sneak extra people into the room with out paying. There was an intent to defraud and I would have been in my rights to call in the Police and have her charged. In hind sight this is what should have happened, we will not be so lenient in the future.
This woman had sneaked extra guests into her room. When booking in she stated there was two adults and one child and was charged accordingly. Much later in the evening the office received a complaint from another guest about the noise coming from her room. On investigation we found an extra two guests which she had failed to mention. I asked her where were they going to sleep and she said on the floor. We stated we don't sell floor space at that it was probably better for all concerned for them to pack up and leave, as by this stage her and her husband had becoming very aggressive and experience has taught us when incidents like this happen it never ends well. The husband refused to go even though we were the worst motel in the world in his eyes. She eventually came over to the office and apologised for her husband and begged us to to stay. She promised there would be no more trouble, she paid up front including the extra money owing for the other 2 guests and agreed that the room would be left in good condition. On departure the worm turned. Her room was a disgrace with food scattered all over the floor, chewing gum stuck inside cupboards ( I guess they thought that was funny) and the least said about the bedding the better.Her language was appalling including the C word and said this had all come about because the were brown. We suggest it all came about because they tried to defraud us and GOT CAUGHT . Colour did not come into it
Its a pity that we can't rate our guests, That way we could pre warn other motelliers and they would not have to endure a similar experience .

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was extremely disappointed with the service received here. While the rooms and accommodation were very nice and tidy, the customer service delivered by the owners, Susie and Brian, was shocking. Susie was extremely rude, judgmental and aggressive. My family and I stayed here after relocating to NZ from Melbourne. We have 3 children - a 15 year old, 11 year old and 3 year old. While our 3 year old was not making a huge amount of noise, we were attacked by the motel manager/owner Susie for 'not having IT under control' and making too much noise for the other guests. I reminded her that it was only 8pm and she responded that 'we dont normally have you sort of people in our motel'. She then insinuated that we didnt have enough money to pay for the room and that she expected my credit card to decline. When my husband told her not to speak to us in that manner, she then became aggressive and continued with her judgmental nature. My only assumption is that because we are Maori she assumed that we could not afford to stay at the motel, hence her comment 'we dont normally have you sort of people in our motel'.
After returning to NZ from having traveled around the world for work, it was very disappointing to realise that discrimination and ignorance still exists in NZ. Never in the last 10 years have my family and I been treated in such a manner and it is really sad that after traveling extensively and building a strong career overseas, we were subjected to this ignorant and rude behaviour on our return.
Susie is a terrible manager and owner and really should not be in the hospitality industry. She is a negative person who obviously has no idea of customer service or have become bitter and twisted from too many years in the industry. Either way, I would strongly recommend that anyone who has a darker skin complexion find alternative accommodation when visiting Porirua - this place will not welcome you and your children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank GabePara1

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times now on our trips north and no doubt will be back againALways a friendly and efficient welcome and the rooms are spotlessly clean and well laid out.
Location is handy to state highway 1 but the traffic noise isn't too much of an issue.great off street parking and security,close to supermarket,shops and restaurants.An easy and comfortable place to stay and very good value for the high quality of the rooms.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porirua
Amethyst Court Motor Lodge
#1 of 1 in Plimmerton
Marina Motor Lodge
Marina Motor Lodge
#1 of 1 in Mana

Been to Belmont Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!