“Fabulous food, Fantastic service!”
Review of Duck Creek - CLOSED

Duck Creek
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

So pleased we stopped in at Duck Creek Cafe!
We had no booking but they managed to squeeze us in on a busy Saturday afternoon.
Excellent staff and service, moving us inside when it got a little windy.
Our meals were amazing, I had the Pumpkin & spinach risotto and it was one of the best I've ever had! So tasty and moreish. Will definitely go back just for this risotto!
Lovely setting and not noisy even though they were busy.
Next time we will make a reservation :)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We visited Duck Creek as we were keen to go out for a meal but didn't want to travel into town. Visiting from Auckland with family my sister knew of this local restaurant but had not yet visited so we thought we would give it a try. We were certainly glad that we did!!! The staff were amazing and very accommodating of my five year old niece, supplying her with paper and coloured pencils and were very encouraging, helping her to choose her own food and make her order. We all decided to get an entree, main, and dessert and make a night of it :-) Every course was beautifully presented and exceptional. The kitchen were very helpful to my husband who was even able to do a few swaps on his main course as there were a few things on the menu that he liked on different dishes and they made it work. This equalled one very happy husband!!! Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

OK, i'm going to start with the bad. Then i'll get to the good.

I went here 21/8. We had a booking for 7pm so we showed up at 6.50, best to be early always the way. When we arrived we had the table by the door. Because they were packed, which wasn't too bad. It was all set and lovely. What did surprised me was they had ran out of menus. We had a booking, it was very obvious we were coming we did have a booking you'd think there would be menus ready too.

After about half an hour my brother ended up going up to the front and getting the one they had for us to share. About that time they came and took our drinks order too. Even though we had mentioned getting drinks as soon as we sat down it took them half an hour to get back to us to take our order, despite many attempts to wave at any waiter.

To my second bad point. We arrived at the same time as a rather large group. Of course the large group would be the priority of the staff - more money. But they weren't ready to get us drinks until they had drinks and our waiter was really really nervous about taking our order before the big groups. It's a good job he did, we were ready to walk out at this point!

I know it's a sit down meal and it's supposed to be all about talking and things but waiting 50 mins to place an order seemed a bit ridiculous. If you knew we were booked and they were why not mention on the phone that we may want to arrive 15 mins early? Beat the rush.

Service was quite fast once our order had been taken. Maybe they realized we were an in and out sort of family.

To the good.
Our waiter was really friendly (the only one) and i wish i had got his name to write it. He kept apologizing for the slow service and got our order in before the big table (which is a huge bonus and the only reason this review has this many stars) If we had left we would have missed out on a really nice meal.

We ordered pate as a starter which arrived quite quickly.

The steak, cooked to perfection, the sauce and butter were to die for. It really was a lovely steak. The fish and chips was quite a small portion but lovely still. The food was almost worth the wait.

3  Thank kate_adams_1993
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My partner and I had been meaning to come and try out this restaurant for quite a while.

The food was really delicious, the atmosphere was good. It was pretty busy for a Thursday night.

I thought that our waiter was a bit to informal, he was however attentive. For example when he came over to take my order he pointed at me and said "what do you want". Rather than saying something like "what would you like to order".

1  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Lovely restaurant, niece atmosphere, sat in the sun today and had a lovely lunch, food was good service was good prices reasonable. The lamb burger was flavourful, filling and large. They have deserts if you want. Almost out in the country, what more do you want ? definitely worth a return.