“Nice but surprised by additional meal charge”

Amethyst Court Motor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Porirua B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“Nice but surprised by additional meal charge”
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Nice motel, though we were charged an additional 10% on the meals that were ordered in (9 meals for our group, so a fair-sized additional cost) - by the motel, not the restaurant concerned.

On querying this, I was told it's standard motel practice - I've never encountered it before, and in any case would have expected to have been told in advance, when I asked them for a restaurant recommendation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
court02, Owner at Amethyst Court Motor Lodge, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
The 10% Surcharge applies only to meals charged back to our complex and this is stated in our compendium.
The compendium requests that if a guest is wanting to charge back the meal charge, management is to be notified. - in this case we were not advised about the chargeback.

When advised about a chargeback then we advise the guest of the 10% surcharge (the fee covers management expenses e.g. cleaning up of restaurant dishes, credit card commissions etc) in case any guest has not read the compendium.

Even though your group were unhappy with regards to the meal surcharge we thankyou for recommending our complex as a place to stay.

Murray & Helen Mears

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
NAPIER
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Found this motel just off State Highway one on way Ferry .Qualmark 4 star plus in rating you wouldnt know that this sort of quality was available in Porirua without been told about it .Only 1 minute off the motor way just opposite the North City shopping centre.Wife was very happy shopping while I was at work .Newly built so nice and quite with all all rooms being internally accessed very safe for travellers.
Present owners have not been there long but must have previous motel experience by the way the motel is run. Hosts were very friendly & helpful in every way.
I like the Host Accommodation FREE 12 night bonus as it means that my boss pays for my holiday each year

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Porirua
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Me and my husband paid for a room for 1 night and the owners Murray and Helen were very rude to us. They spoke rudely to us on the phone and in person. My husband commented on their rude customer service and said is that how they speak to all their guest. My husband then decided to lay a complaint and then they tried to kick us out. My husband spoke to them in a calm manner and they screamed and hsouted at him as soon as he walked in the motel. Murray and Helen are the new owners of the motel and are not from the area, their bussiness will not survive in Porirua if they are rude to their guest, we feel they treated us like that because of our ethnicity, once they saw my name, they judged us straight away. Porirua is a city that is made up of many cultures and that is what makes it a close knit community. They did not offer an apology until my husband told them he would write a letter to the local paper. We did not stay at the motel in the end and they never offered us anything else so in the end they kept our money. What makes it worse is that they are owners. To be paying customers and treated that way is not on and we dont want anyone else to be treated like that.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAMS13
court02, Owner at Amethyst Court Motor Lodge, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
This reservation refers to a Internet Booking made by the guest 1 week prior. On the day of arrival a different guest was given the voucher by the person who made the booking. We asked her for some ID and Credit Card Details and she informed us she was not the person who was checking in and had no ID or Credit Card Details on her. We advised her to get the person who made the reservation to get a voucher in her name if she wanted to stay. Approxiametely 6pm on the same day we receieved a telephone call from the person who was named on the voucher and we explained to her that the voucher was non transferable and she would need to go back to the Internet Site where she booked and obtain an new voucher in the correct name for the guest who would be staying. At 9.30pm after our office had closed we received a telephone call, Murray went out to reception and the husband verbally abused me, we tried to explain that we had a legal contract with the Internet Site and we had to abide by their rules. We asked him if he has contacted the Internet Site to amend the name of the voucher and he had not. He became abusive so we asked him to vacate out complex. We have not and will not receive any monies from this reservation as stated by the guest in his review. This abusive guest thought we should bend the rules just to satisfy him.
We have been in the hospitality for the past 6 years and have never had a bad review only good ones in our las 3 properties owned.

Murray & Helen Mears
Amethyst Court Motor Lodge
Auckland
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Lovely motel with great hosts and staff. The rooms were well equipped and the service was of a high standard. Very convenient location for our sports related trip.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 16, 2010

This is the second time we are staying here, both are one week stays, on business, the owners, Eliott and Jenny are superb hosts, i challenge you to find better hosts anywhere in New Zealand, very good rooms, excellent service, drinks on arrival, queit motel, free broadband, good amenities, comfortable beds, better than any other motel in Porirua, the second time we stayed here was actually for a business trip to wellington city, but we chose to stay at amethyst again because it is that good !!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Warwickshire
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We were looking for a one night stop in Wellington after the ferry journey from Picton. When we came to book there was nothing available that got a decent review on here in the city so we looked farther afield and came up with Amethyst Court. I knew we were on to a good thing when after the formalities the usual question in a NZ motel is what sort of milk do you want. Here it was do you want a complimentary beer, wine or fruit juice. That should become industry standard! When we got to our room it was large, airy and very well equipped with all you would expect in a modern motel. The decor was very elegant. If I am looking for something to be critical about it is that it is not near eating places, but they have thought of that by selling a variety of meals at reception that you can heat up in the microwave. The other is less easy to fix. Most motel units have a wash basin in the bathroom and a sink in the kitchen area. This only has a small basin in the bathroom which made washing the pots more difficult.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I stayed at the Amethyst Court with colleagues for one night during a work trip to Wellington. I was expecting an old-fashioned motel (you know, concrete bricks and tatty curtains) but I was very happily surprised to find a huge, new, sparkling clean hotel with lovely rooms.

What I liked:
- the rooms are large, newly and nicely decorated, shiny and clean. I could swear I was the first person to stay in the room I used.
- the amenities provided are hotel-standard: coffee/tea/etc, shampoo and soap, tv and radio
- the breakfast fruit was tasty.

What I didn't like so much:
- Porirua is quite far from the Wellington CBD - we only stayed there because every central hotel was booked out for the AC/DC concert. The motel's very handy if you need to be in Porirua though.
- room service breakfast was delivered about ten minutes earlier than the time I requested, and I was still in the shower. That's a pretty minor problem for such a nice motel, and I know it's hard to deliver every single breakfast on time.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porirua
No photo provided
#9 of 14 in Lower Hutt
Fernhill Motor Lodge
Fernhill Motor Lodge
#5 of 5 in Lower Hutt

Been to Amethyst Court Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!