“Great food, reasonable prices”

Peppermill Deli and cafe
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Porirua
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Find this to be a great stop for breakfast or brunch, have never been disappointed by the food, though the service can be quite "relaxed" so if you're in a hurry mention it to the staff. For some reason the coffee comes in either rather small cups or a glass, but you can ask for a takeout cup if you prefer, and the large is a decent size. I would pick this over many Wellington cafes for quality and value.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

The last time I came here a few years ago, I wasn't impressed. Thought we'd give it a go again and unfortunately for us, it still wasn't good and the place was pretty clueless.

We arrived and the place was about 1/3 full. The girl that seated us told they didn't have any menus left and started to walk away. We had to ask if she'd give us some when they became available.

Menus came and we sat waiting for someone to take our order. My wife had to go track someone down to come over. Someone eventually came and didn't so much as acknowledge us but did manage to take our order. Instead of asking me my order, just stared at me.

It took about 15 minutes for the food to come. I had pretty low expectations by that point, figured the coffee and food would be cold and poor. Surprisingly, food and coffee was warm though average overall. I had eggs benedict. The yolk was solid, cooked through when it should have been liquid. Average and uninspired otherwise, only coming with spinach and some sort of bread. My wife had sunny-side up eggs with side of bacon and hash browns. The bacon was tasty, but all was average otherwise.

One of our little girls had the kids pancakes, which was just one pancake with banana and bacon. Our other little girl had the lunch box. Both were serviceable.

When I have a below-average or worse experience at a cafe, I don't go back for a good long time. I won't be going back here for at least a few years.

3  Thank Friday013
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Recently my husband, work colleague and I went to Peppermill for a late lunch. We arrived about 1.45 and it was extremely difficult to establish even eye contact with any of the staff working there. Eventually I asked if I could take some menus to the table we had selected; there had been no offer to show us to the table. If was hard to find a table and surrounding area that was clean. Our orders were taken from the menu as the only counter food available at that stage was desserts/slices. About 10 minutes later we asked a waitress for our drinks order to be taken, 20 minutes later, with still no sign of the drinks or meals, we asked the same waitress when we could expect our orders to arrive. She said there was no record of our meal order. The young man who had taken our order had gone and had never given our order to the kitchen staff. She apologized for what had happened, but by this stage it was 2.20 we were hungry and thought our chances of getting any food or drinks were slim. We headed down the road to Kaizen where we served right away and had three delicious lunches for under $50.

4  Thank Jennifer269
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Been here a few times for weekend brunch/lunch. A find the food to be a little over priced, but it is still very nice. Great coffee. The service is a little hit and miss, we got told there was a half hour wait after we had ordered just because it got a little bit busy. Would recommend if you are in the area, but they could do with a little work on service.

2  Thank Carstina
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Went there for lunch. We waited and waited, then called someone over to order. Drinks came out after half an hour later and food over 50 minutes later. Other tables that ordered after us got their food long before us. We had to request cutlery. No water for the table and they didn't ask us if we wanted more drinks.
Food was great and big portions, quite expensive for a brunch though. However they did use fresh ingredients (raspberries, avocado).
Toilets were disgustingly dirty.

1  Thank 960Caroline