“Customer Service - SHOCKING”
Review of The Black Boy

The Black Boy
Ranked #16 of 23 Restaurants in Knowle
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham
“Customer Service - SHOCKING”
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I took my Aunt for something to eat there today, as a treat. My memories of The Black Boy were always good.

We arrived, lovely grounds brought back alot of memories.

We found a table , which hadnt been cleared , but thats normal so no issue. I went to the bar to order drinks and food. I was served and my server a guy in his mid twenties asked for my table number. I said table 7 and asked if it could be cleared and cleaned. to which he replied... " if you having food yes".

Does that mean if we were not they wouldnt do anything!!!

Had to flag someone down to clean table as the message wasnt passed on.

Food wait was 40 mins.

After 45 mins had passed since sitting down I went and asked the manager how long it would be , politely. His abrupt response was , " well thats an approx time! " He said this quite loudly and then proceeded to embass me further while opening the kitchen door
and stated " this customer wants to know why he has waited 45 mins and no food !"

Totally handled that wrong.

Food arrived 55 mins after ordering.

We ordered a jumbo cod and chips , mixed grill , onion rings and bread and butter.

Both meals arrived semi warm. I asked no peas and got peas. Bread and butter arrived after asking where it was. Bread arrived 10 mins later. Obviously straight out of the freezer and still very cold . Un eatable.

Staff were rude and very lathargick , misserable and had no sense of urgency. Customer service was not existant.

Also Christmas songs in June??? The book broken windows comes to mind.

I will never be back here, and hope you dont waste your timd here.

2 Thank Indiana_Tricky

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Textbook lesson in how not to treat customers”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

After ordering and paying for the food I was only then informed that we could expect a wait of an hour for the food even though there were several empty tables inside the pub. One hour and fifteen minutes later the food finally turned up. The jacket potato was burnt, it was actually like charcoal underneath - totally black. Halfway through the meal I then discovered a hair in the chicken, I pointed this out to a member of the staff who after consulting with another member of staff agreed to issue a refund. Considering the wait we had already endured I had hoped that as a gesture of goodwill and good customer service that both meals would be refunded but alas only the cost of my meal was reimbursed. The waiter upon returning my money asked whether I would like to order anything else - this after waiting an eternity for the first (poor) meal to arrive!
I declined as by this stage I was a tad disillusioned with the whole place. But if this fiasco was not enough then what happened next left me dumbfounded - my partner overheard the manager discussing what the issue was with my meal to another member of staff, 'Just one hair'? was his reply - 'just one hair'?!?!?!? - I do not work in the food industry but I am pretty certain that one hair is more than enough grounds to return a meal. The manager then walked off shaking his head in disbelief that I had had the audacity to reject a meal because it had 'just one hair' in it. This establishment literally left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I can only sum it up as a disgrace and I will certainly never set foot in there again.

2 Thank Mark L
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Over an hour wait for unpalatable food....”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I have eaten here in the past, though not very often due to the poor service often received and the less than welcoming bar/service staff.

Today we visited as a 'last chance' as we were passing. We (surprisingly) found a clean table straight away, but that was the only plus point of the visit. We ordered our meals at the counter, paid and were then told they would be an hour. Thanks....but that kinda Information should be given prior to ordering.

Then came the hurdle of purchasing a drink from the bar. As per, there were plenty of staff to serve, yet it somehow took a good ten minutes to get an orange juice and a glass of water....

Then came the wait for the food, and what a wait it was. After waiting over a full hour and ten minutes, my boyfriend queried it's whereabouts. It did then appear, though we lived to regret it doing so.

I had a sandwich of cheese and ham. I can honestly say I have had a better sandwich from Subway. This was by no stretch of the imagination worthy of the £5.95 price. Accompanied by chips which can only be described as rock hard, my meal was less than acceptable. Though how can I compare that with (luckily) spotting a long black hair across the table on my boyfriends chicken meal! Gross! I stopped him in his tracks, and he went to the bar to report it. Fair enough, he was offered a refund - for his meal only though. I couldn't face eating the rest of my poor example of a meal, and the sight of the rogue hair put me right off. As we finished our drinks and prepared to leave, I could hear the bar staff making comments to each other about what had just happened! Stunned by this, I heard one say 'they refunded just because there was one hair?'.

Amazing. That is the word I would use to sum up todays visit. Sadly it is not intended in a flattering way. I will not visit this shambles of a pub again, it should have it's licence revoked. AVOID.

2 Thank GreenyG80
“Prices have gone up”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a lovely big pub by the canal side in Knowle, lovely seated area to front and back and a slide and play area for the children. Food has always been good here with a great selection, but feel they have really hiked up the prices and don't feel they are value for money any more and not worth me travelling the distance to go there again unfortunately, which is a shame as this pub and food was always a favourite of mine but feel the price increases are too high.

• Visited May 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The Black Boy does it again!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have been here with my family numerous times. Th pub is lovely, friendly, and food is fab. The outside area is great too. For me theres nothing better after a stressful week at work chilling with a nice lager watching the barges pass up and down the river.

• Visited May 2013