Innkeeper's Lodge Solihull, Knowle
Forest Hotel(Dorridge)
Hogarths Hotel(Dorridge)
Haigs Hotel(Balsall Common)
  • Pool
The Oak Hotel(Hockley Heath)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubkings armsthe grand union canalfamily roomample parkingcontinental breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 11, 2013

After coming to the Heron's Nest for many years I have been increasingly irritated by the attitude of the staff which has completey changed.No one to serve at the Bar as the girls were waiting at the tables, who were hassled & needed help. I was told that I could not have a starter as a larger main course.
I took a friend to the disabled toilet & she said it was dreadful, loo roll on the floor, which she could not get at, no hot water, no towel & no soap
Not your usual standard!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JillA785
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Having been recommended to go to the Heron's Nest I was hoping that it would be the flagship of the group. However, I was disappointed with my meal. Chicken and Ham pie (don't know where the ham was) covered in puff pastry. When I removed the pastry lid I found the contents barely covered the bottom of the dish. The chips were quite hard and the peas a little shrivelled as if they had been lying around for some time. Again similar to their sister restaurants the coffee sits in a perculator for some time and gets colder and stewed to such a degree that it is impossible to drink without milk. However the atmosphere of this eatery is very good and provides and warm welcome to any traveller. Also the staff are very friendly and attentive. Value if it had been more tasty then I would certainly go there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stopped off for a mid afternoon drink only. The pub is old and characterful and parts of it are probably undergoing renovation as scaffolding was up at the front of the building. Large area for dining then several smaller, cosy areas again for dining. We sat in come comfy chairs to the side of the bar with a view out to the canal.

Service was initially very slow as no one was behind the bar. A waitress was serving a large group of people who were finishing lunch and then eventually after around five minutes of waiting around a guy came down the stairs. From then on service was prompt. The food menu was pretty extensive and looked reasonably priced.

The outdoor terrace is huge - even a 'bottle shed' which is open in the summer months. Also lots of benches on the lawn so directly by the canal. Must be superb in the summer. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Only had a drink so cannot comment on rooms or food
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Thank you for a wonderful stay at the Herons Nest. The family room was very clean and spacious (couldn't ask for anymore). The staff are very friendly and on our arrival, promptly made up the sofa bed for the kids. Will definately return again in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

This was my 2nd time back here for a Xmas party & I'm so glad I wasn't paying. Terrible food, slow service, expensive drinks. Very clean tho'. I had a roast pork belly and it came with a small amount of mash and some gravy, no vegetables were offered to me. I then had cheese and biscuits- a tiny piece of Stilton with a huge amount of biscuits and a teaspoon full of pickle. As I said before I'm glad I wasn't paying because i would of refused to.

• Stayed: December 2012