“"Best curry and excellent service"”

Ellora Curry Centre
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Knowle
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

This is the best curry house in all of Solihullif not the world! The curry is made fresh everyday and the proof comes through when you taste the succulent pieces of meat which are always juicy and tender and the sauces intensely flavourful. The restaurant may look unassuming but don't be fooled. The food is absolutely second to none and I have been coming back for over 10 years. The staff are more than welcoming and the manager is like your brother from another mother. I could not recommend this restaurant any higher and after eating so well for so many years am feeling compelled to give something back. I hope you find salvation in their curry as I have.

2  Thank warane

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Decided to visit Ellora based on the positive reviews, but we were left very disappointed. The food was poor across the board, and the service was mediocre. There are much better Indian restaurants available locally, so I will not be returning here.

2  Thank Gary B
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We searched high and low for a decent local indian restaurant and this is by far one of the best outside of Birmingham City centre.

The service was very good and the staff were friendly which was impressive considering how busy the restaurant was.

The food tasted very nice and didn't come with the usual luminous colours that you usually expect from a high street curry house.

The menu is extensive which can be a bit overwhelming, however most if not all specialities seem to be catered for.

The cost for 5 of us was £96 - We had starters, mains, sides (breads and rice etc) plus wine and beer so all in all good value for money.

Well worth a go....

2  Thank GH C
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I booked a table for 3 at 7.30 on a Saturday. When we arrived there were lots of empty tables. We were shown to the bar area, and were asked to order our drinks and whether we wanted poppadums etc. Other people were also ordering at the bar. Confused, I stopped a waiter, explained this was our first visit and could he tell me what the system was for ordering food etc. He said "its OK i'll take you to your table now, we were just getting it ready". We were then seated. All the waiter had to do was to tell us on arrival that they were not quite ready and ask us to wait in the bar area, (the other people ordering at the bar were take away orders). The service then became very typical of so many Indian restaurants- rushed! No sooner had we started on our popadoms, we were asked on two occasions if we were ready to order our meal. On reflection, I now realise that they could not even wait for us to be seated before taking our order! I hate being rushed in this way. I really feel that if I have booked a table, and the restaurant want to get rid of me as soon as possible, to get others diners in, then they should be honest and tell me up front how long I have got to eat my meal, instead of this constant pestering, its incredibly rude. In fact, going forward I have decided to ask that question when booking tables at other restaurants, it will be interesting to see the reaction. When it came, the food was very average, very typical. This restaurant does not deserve its 1st in Knowle rating. I will not be going back in a rush- excuse the pun! and I would not recommend it- unless of course you want basic Indian food and are in a rush- then its will be perfect for you!

3  Thank Yvonne264
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Have visited this restaurant several times over the last couple of month's. The food is always fresh and tasty and the staff are pleasant and have a good knowledge of the dishes available. We have never had a bad experience at this restaurant and have introduced others who have also returned, would recommend Ellora anytime but would recommend advance booking on the weekends as they seem to be extremely busy.

1  Thank ROiS A