“Just Ideal”

Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park
Ranked #1 of 3 Kawhia B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2013

After a week's work around Auckland and Hamilton, i was ready for a quiet, idyllic spot and Kawhia offers this. The Beach-side S-cape was perfect, with generous and friendly hosts and a fantastic view form a cabin that couldn't be closer to the water. Small but well appointed with a nice deck to sit on too. The town is a sleepy place with a 1960s vibe and look, but if anything that is an upside not a detraction. Thanks to Snow and Bronwyn.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
oysterfiend, Owner at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for trying out Kawhia on your work related travels.
And all the way from Australia.

We are pleased you enjoyed the scenery and your stay.
The town is very small and definitely does have a 60's vibe about it.
Many people come back time and time again to recapture some nostolgia from their youth.

Thanks very much for taking the time to review our property as referral assists us in generating income to keep the property at a high standard for our guests.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

After Auckland, Rotorua and Waitomo with their respective i-Sites I wanted to go somewhere off the tourist track. On the map I saw "Kawhia". After an exhilirating hitchhike, doing 90 kilometers an hour in the curves past the bay, I wound up at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape & Harbourview Cottages. And indeed it was off the tourist track and relaxing. I stayed five days. Bronwyn brought me by car to the beach with the hotholes, after which I walked back. Snow was nice to talk to during his never-ending "home-improvements". With Christmas I did not have any food. Contrary to advise that all restaurants and supermarkets would be closed I expected I would solve it. Helas. I thought it sort of funny: the whole world eating good and a lot; me fasting for a day. Until I opened my refrigerator. Bronwyn and Snow had stacked it with half a chicken, potatoes, carrots, colliflower, white cabbage and cheese! Wow, a good Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
oysterfiend, Owner at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thats what kiwis do.
Well most of them anyhow-they look after people when they need assistance.

If we weren't always on a perpetual diet you would have had even better but then Snow and I have to watch our weight and preserve our good looks- and humility is also one of our strong points - joking!
So pleased you gave us a try, and to stay five days as well, when you had only just ambled up unannounced.
That is what we love about our business- you never know who is going to drop in and how long they will stay-
Life is certainly an adventure if you want it to be.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We knew nothing about kAWHIA and had never been there before.After a comfortable three hour drive from Auckland we arrived to be pleasantly welcomed and shown to a two bedroom motel unit.
The unit has been very well upgraded. It was spotless and very generously supplied with towels and coffee and the like.
The owners went out of their way to make us welcome. Nothing was too much trouble including the loan of the "magic shovel" for our excursion to Ocean Beach.
For a pleasant weekend away from it all we really recommend this accommodation

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
oysterfiend, Owner at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us over Easter with family members.
We really appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to write a review,
as reviews give us credibility and future guests the confidence to book with us.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and your accommodations and found things clean and satisfactory.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The owner was a credit to the hospitality industry. Although my wife and I arrived while she was still cleaning and was on her way to have a coffee, we were given a tour of the property so that we could decide for ourselves if we would stay in our tent or one of the cabins or motel units. We stayed in the motel unit on the waters edge. Bronwyn was very helpfull with things to do and see around the area. Kawhia is a laid back place very peaceful a great place to relax in. We dined in the village and were pleasantly surprised at the verity and quality of the meals.
Kawhia and the Harbourview cottages are well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the water front motels the sun sets and sunrises are brilliant
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
oysterfiend, Owner at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you very much for your most kind review.
Reviews are extremely important as they give prospective guests confidence in making a booking with us.
Kawhia is extremely laid back and that is part of it's charm.
If you want night clubs and slot machines you won't find them here.
But you will find people who will stop and have a chat in a locality that is rustically beautiful.
You are spot on about staying at the water's edge on our property- either in a motel or in a tent/van.
The sun comes up over the hills in the morning about 5.30- 6 am and the water glistens as the sun rises throughout the day.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review our place. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We found the town of Kawhia through a review of what to visit while in NZ. After that I started looking in the internet for places to stay in the town, and found Kawhia Beachside S-Cape, and contacted the place. I got a quick response, so there we went for a night before heading to Taupo (where we participated in NZ Ironman 2013). The owners Bronwyn and Snow were the most gracious and helpful managers we encountered in our 14 day visit to the northern island. The place is beautiful, beach-side as it's name says and everything was squeaky clean.
We used a powered place to park our campervan and took advantage of the spacious and clean kitchen. They have tons of pots, pans, dishware and the like, so we didn't need to bring our own. They have lots of fridge space too, in case you want to stay for a week or two. There are two showers with free hot water and the wi-fi was also complimentary, yes!
We had the best time chatting with other guests, they were the nicest and most friendly people we met on the trip. (lucky for us, after the nightmarish episode of renting our campervan, but that's another review).
There is a hot beach near town, and Bronwyn lent us a spade to go during low tide to dig our own hot pool.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gloria S
oysterfiend, Owner at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Awwhh Shucks!
Hey,
Thank you very much for the ever so complimentary review.
Snow and I try very hard to make our guests stay enjoyable- we are far from perfect and don't always get it right but nevertheless we keep trying.
We travel ourselves as much as we can afford to do so,
and appreciate that friendly service makes a big impression on people and gives them fond memories of a region.
Kawhia is a very out of the way destination and guests need to be committed and very motivated to get here-
So thank you for giving Kawhia a try despite all your transport woes.
It is not the typical tourist spot, but has it's very own rural/seaside charm and the locals are friendly.
All the best for your future travels
And again, many thanks for taking the time to review our property and upload photos,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Kawhia is a magical beach town on the West coast of the North Island. It has an important place in Maoritanga - you can still see the amazing tree where the Tainui tied up their canoe when first migrating to NZ hundreds of years ago. It's a sleepy town - a couple of casual cafes and the best fish and chips in NZ at the chip shop by the wharf, and this lovely cabin, camping, and motel spot - S-Cape. I used to stay here as a kid, either camping or in the cabins, and this summer I returned with my mother and my young daughter and stayed in one of the new motel units. The owners have been developing this property for years: planting native trees, updating the amenities for the campers, and now the wonderful self contained units. The kitchen was equipped for basic cooking, there was satellite tv, and a lovely bathroom, and the unit comfortably slept three of us. There were chairs on the little deck, so we could sit and look out at the inner harbour, and the real draw of this place is that at low tide, you can walk straight out from the grass to the harbour flats and walk out for hundreds of yards. It's amazing. When the tide is in, you can swim or rent a kayak.

It's not a fancy place, but it's a comfortable place built for families on holiday or casual travelers, and there are facilities if you want to cook fish you've caught or have a barbecue. I plan to stay here every time I go back to Kawhia.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit looking at the sea, or if you are camping, for one of the camp sites right by the har...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
oysterfiend, Owner at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and all the improvements we have been making.
Kawhia is a unique place and we have grown to love it as you obviously do also.
People like you who appreciate what we have to offer are our life blood.
Without guests it would be all for nothing and we appreciate your loyal support and encouragement.
Please tell all your friends in the States about us and hopefully we will see more of you to in the future.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to review our property,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had booked one of the waterfront studio units at Beachside Escape and therefore when, on arrival, I found they were not available and I had been allocated another unit with not quite such a good view, I was somewhat uncertain about staying here. However the owner had thought the problem through well and the unit was larger, had a full kitchen and was very well fitted out (and colour coordinated). I was impressed by the quality of the shower, the cleanliness, the quality of the towels, the availability of DVDs and books, unexpected breakfast provisions and generous amounts of tea, coffee, biscuits and mints. Although some parts of this Motorcamp are a bit shabby the units are excellent - I suspect that renovations are in progress. I can recommend staying here just for the view, as each unit has a small balcony with table and chairs. Very relaxing!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bev S
oysterfiend, Owner at Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for your review.
As I explained to you we had some gentlemen staying in the front units for about 5 days and even if I had shifted one of them it would not have been a satisfactory option for you as they had a big AQUA plane boat on their truck which they bring each year to spray weeds etc around the harbour.
This may well have impeded your view and annoyed you when they went travelling out.
We have worked very hard on painting and restoration of our old camp buildings and it saddens me to think that people always focus on the negative.
You have given us a very positive review and yet only 4 out of 5 stars, even with an upgraded motel unit ($25 Value) and free internet. All this with a 1 night booking and a single rate discount as well.
This is our life and our passion and every time we are ranked poorly it is reflected in our tripadvisor ratings. We strive for 5/5 but obviously we were not good enough this time.

Been to Kawhia Beachside S-Cape Holiday Park? Share your experiences!