“An Eye Candy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ancient City (Mueang Boran)

Ancient City (Mueang Boran)
Book In Advance
More Info
$87.50*
and up
Ancient City Museum Tour from Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the world’s largest outdoor museums features a 200-acre city with 109 scaled-down copies of Thailand’s most famous monuments and architectural attractions.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Muntinlupa City, Philippines
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“An Eye Candy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We arrived to this place around 12:00NN. Since the sun was mercilessly beating down on us we ditched the idea of riding the bike and decided to ride on the tram scheduled to leave on 1:00PM. The entrance fee is Thb 500 which includes the choice of using a bike or riding the tram.

We decided to eat our lunch in a small caferia just across the ticket office and found ourselves eating huge servings of tasty fried thai rice (I had pork fried rice while my sister had chicken fried rice) and a can of coke for only Thb. 60.00.

I cannot really recommend the tram ride for three major reasons - (1) the driver and guide speaks only in Thai. (2) it only stops at specific places - in our case in 4 major places, the last one being the Floating Village and (3) apparently, in our last stop, the Floating Village, we were left behind to fend for ourselves. Imagine our dismay when we found out we were left behind. While walking back to the entrance is possible, it is not recommended since if you look at the map the Floating Village is somewhere in the middle and walking in the hot afternoon sun and trying to wade you way back is not a very good idea since some of the signs are in Thai. It took sometime for us to find someone who can speak a bit of english so they could radio someone to pick us up with another tram.

My best suggestion for this place is to hire the golf cart. We would have done the same if not for the fact that my sister has no confidence yet in my driving skills (she cant drive yet). I guess, biking around is ok, but for me, when I saw the other tourist biking around sweating and looking like crabs (they are very red) because of the sun and heat, I rather have a covered transporation anyday. Even the tram.

Despite our not-so-spectacular experience with the tram the place itself is spectacular. Definitely an eye-candy and worthy of draining the batteries of your camera. There is not much tourist in this area so you get to enjoy the view and structures for yourself.

Will definitely go back to this place again and explore it properly. I am pretty sure we missed a lot of places since our trip is limited to the areas of the route of the tram.

Getting to this area - ride the BTS until Bearing station. From there ride a taxi (i suggest you print out the name of Mueang Boran in Thai and give it to the driver). Cost should be around Thb 120-150 depending on the traffic.

Visited November 2012

• Vietnamese first
South Australia, Australia
156 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 547 helpful votes
“Fantastic - something not to be missed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you are not in Bangkok for long then this fantastic place called the Ancient City is definitely worth a visit, it is only 40 kilometers from Suwananbhumi Airport. It is like going to all the important highlights of each province in Thailand in a day.

The Ancient City is in a 250 acre park shaped like Thailand and there are magnificent restored buildings, full size replicas & scaled down versions, Temples, Palaces, Floating Markets, restaurants and so much more.

We booked our day out with a great company that we have used before called We Tour Thailand; we had a private guide & used public transport. Our guide Rabbit was so much fun and very knowledgeable, he made sure we knew the history of everything we went to.

The Ancient City was the idea of a man called Lek Viriyaphant; he wanted to give back to the people of Thailand and make sure that future generations know their past. He is also responsible for the Erawan Museum. Lek passed away November 2000 and his family is continuing to build upon his dream.

We hired a 4 seater golf cart to get around, this was perfect for us as this place is huge and we could stop whenever we wanted to, you can also hire push bikes. We really enjoyed our time at the Ancient City; to see everything properly you really need to spend the day there, fantastic place to take the family. There are plenty of shady rest spots, toilets and food and drink stops.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Cathy&Gary
Central Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A look back into Ancient Siam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

As you enter this 200 acre park at first I was not impressed at all, but as we moved closer inside and then out to walk and look at each of the building replicas, I began to enjoy the architecture and understand more of the ancient culture. You may visit each one by riding a bicycle (free of charge) or by renting a golf cart. I opted to walk much of it as it was a fairly nice day. There is upkeep that is needed and there was also some restoration going on in some areas, but overall it was an enjoyable visit and beaufitul sights to see.

Visited October 2012
Ban Pong, Ratchaburi, Thailand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ancient City. Not really.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nice place to visit all ancient cities in Thailand concluded in one place. They were duplicated or renovated with the same quality originally.

Singapore, null, Singapore
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“All of Thailand in one place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

For the traveller who wishes to see all the splendor Thailand has to offer but could only visit Bangkok.

This theme park is in the shape of Thailand and has all the attractions rebuilt at a smaller scale. This was no sloppy reconstruction of attractions, these attractions wow-ed me. They even had a miniature floating market! A nice place to take pictures and have picnics.If you have access to a car, it's possible to go in and drive around. Otherwise, you could rent a bike or take the trolley. The food sold inside are pretty cheap as well!

When I was there, some of the sections were still under construction. It was still a very pleasant trip and I couldn't even finish going around the entire park in the 5 hours I was there,

Visited February 2012