“Estary apartment, part of Globe Hotel”
Review of The Globe

The Globe
Ranked #1 of 6 Topsham B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We have stayed at the Globe Hotel a few times before, and it is a nice hotel. They now have three self catering apartments 1 minutes walk from the hotel. The attractive part is that you get a 2 room apartment with a splendid view, and a nicely equiped kitchen. Breakfast is not provided.

We decided to try one for a weekend and have been very impressed. At £100 it is a bit more expensive that the main hotel, but it has a lovely view, very quiet , and free WiFi. The apartments are above the Route2Cafe which looks like a good place for breakfast, but we brought our own.

There is parking just over the road, at £1.70 for the day and a good choice of restaurants in Topsham.

Spotlessly clean, and actually very quiet at night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael_East_Sussex
There are newer reviews for The Globe

Reviewed September 11, 2010

For the last 8 years along with friends I have taken the first week of September to walk the South West Coastal Path. In this time we have used a variety of accommodation including B@B's, Hotels and Pubs and the majority have been perfectly acceptable. However the rooms at The Globe Hotel are a disgrace [Twins £93, Single £73] The three rooms we occupied were shabby with low cost fittings and cheap curtains and bed coverings and one room in particular had a very unpleasant damp smell. I find it staggering that a hotel of this standard can display awards.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank dellLichfield
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Regularly come here and it's a lovely place to eat. We've had a xmas do here and it was fantastic. I've also come on my own and with friends and had family parties here. Lovely food every time and great service. Would recommend it to anyone - great at lunch and dinner!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank alissa_lea123
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Rooms above a pub, 2 floors up. Room was spacious and clean exactly as photo on website. Had to lodge the key with the bar staff when going out. Bar staff not always around. Luckily for us the pub itself was not busy but they do have karaoke and disco or live bands sometimes in the evenings. Good location in the centre of town right next door to the Plough Arts Centre. The car park at the back but was full so we had to use the public car park. Had to wait a very long time for breakfast in the morning.

I did hear stories of other guests being locked in.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Fantastic hotel - steeped in history, with so much character.

Really think the other reviews on here are not fair - it's a two star hotel and you get much more than a two star at this hotel!

The room I stayed in was spacious, in fact it was huge, with a very comfy bed, view over Topsham High Street, great shower and tastefully decorated in an old English style. I had my own tea and coffee making facilities - including delicious hot chocolate, a decent tv, spacious dressing table, chaise longue, massive wardrobe and drawers, there was even a chair in the bathroom.

Breakfast is highly recommended - again it's a two star hotel, but there was delicious fresh melon, yoghurt, fruit, a choice of cereals and juice to help yourself to and then several different options of cooked breakfast and toast. I stayed two nights and had a fry up both mornings, which was perfectly cooked, used local produce and was really good.

Service throughout my stay was great, the staff are really friendly and happy to help in any way that they can.

I also ate there one night, having a huge salad which I couldn't finish, but it was really very good indeed, a very generous helping and again used local produce.

It's like no other hotel I've ever stayed in and it's quirkiness is definitely part of its charm.

The only down side is the parking facilities in the courtyard - but saying that I never struggled to get my car in or out at any point.

Definitely would recommend this for a weekend break - Topsham itself has so much to offer and is a lovely part of the country, the little shops are adorable and really high quality. The rates aren't cheap, but it's the only hotel in Topsham, the location is fab and it's just worth it for the experience of staying in a 16th century coaching inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank scubastarlet
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We visted Topsham earlier this month and 'treated' ourselves to an overnight at The Globe, in Room 5 with the four-poster. £98 inc breakfast.The room was small but the bed was very comfortable. Small niggles included only one cup for tea/coffee and broken extractor fan in the shower room. The shower cubicle was very small - even though the room was large enough to have allowed for a 2 person shower. The real downer was the indescribably ghastly shiny peach canopy on the fourposter. WHY????!!! Completely ruined the bed.
Breakfast was adequate though very limited and unexciting. The blonde lady serving bought my partners cooked breakfast while he was only half way through his cereal. She thrust it at him with a curt 'this is for you!'.

With a bit of TLC this could be a fabulous place to stay but the overall impression is that whoever owns it probably earns enough and just can't be bothered anymore.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Greenpixie
ExeterGeorgie_P, Owner at The Globe, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2010

Really sorry that you didn't like the bed drapes. It's very difficult to please everyone's tastes. Apologies if you were rushed at breakfast, the service doesn't sound like it met our standard at all on that day, I am sorry.
We do take great pride in ensuring we provide the best service and quality for our customers - we do care a lot - we are always trying to improve facilities and service for our guests and were shocked when we read the reviews. We carry out customer satifisfaction surveys at the Hotel and it appears that we have a very good satisifaction rating throughout with many customers returning again and again. We will though take account of all the reviews as we always strive to improve so always welcome constructive criticism.

Reviewed June 24, 2010

The Globe is a very quaint Country Inn with Olde Worlde decor.However the accomodation leaves a lot to be desired.Our room (No 6) was very small and the decor very tired to say the least.(wallpaper peeling off and shabby paintwork)The window had to be wedged open.There was a very strange "shawl" arrangement covering the fireplace. At the window there were two strips of fabric which acted as curtains.The TV remote did not work.The bathroom suite was very Avocado green which in itself is a matter of taste, however the same could not be said for the BLACK mould which was growing all around the bathtub! and the carpeted floor.There were again two strips of fabric at the bathroom window for curtains which barely covered the window( which was clear glass looking directly out onto a roof terrace.)The level of cleanliness was not what I am used to.I paid £93.00 for my nights' stay which included breakfast.This was not bad if you like hard eggs!I stay in Hotels/Guest houses often as I work away from home on a regular basis and I can say that the Globe in my opinion was not worth the money, I wouldn't stay there in the future and I would not recommend it to anyone. It's a great shame as it has fantastic potential.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank arnie010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Topsham
Hotel du Vin Exeter
Exeter Court Hotel
Exeter Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kennford
Holiday Inn Express Exeter

Been to The Globe? Share your experiences!