“Good place - just needs some more hands-on management”
Review of The Globe

The Globe
Ranked #1 of 6 Topsham B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Topsham is a lovely place to go for a break. The Globe is a traditional inn owned by St Austell Brewery. Stayed 3 nights in an inside room (there are further motel-style rooms in the courtyard). The room was fine and nicely decorated for an old building but it was noisy at night due to its proximity to the bar (despite being on the first floor).

I thought having the landing door to the rooms open was a fire requirement but on departure the cleaner assured me it wasn't. So, like most hotels would, why didn't the management close it to keep out the noise of the bar? My friend, who had a courtyard room, was kept awake by a noisy party of youths on a group booking. Fortunately he was moved on his second night. But why was this allowed to carry on?

The food at the Globe was very good and breakfasts very enjoyable. The staff were ok but it desperately needed some strong management to keep the place in order. If the Globe fail to get to grips with incidents like this, the place will start to drift downhill. For their sake, I hope they resolve the issues quickly. It's either a nice-quality gastro pub with good quality accommodation or it's a stop-off on a pub crawl for parties of drunks. You choose........

1  Thank Tex26

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We popped into this traditional coaching inn and had an excellent coffee in the bar and admired the low ceilings with their authentic beams. This hotel is right in the centre of Topsham and has comfortable public areas and food on offer from breakfast onwards. It is the perfect spot for morning coffee or something stronger.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed in The Globe for 2 nights as my partner had an interview to attend in Bicton. We were welcomed with very friendly staff. The room was lovely and well equipped and the breakfast was one of the best i had ever had! The chap that cleans the courtyard areas was so friendly and helpful i wish more places had one like him!!!! We will definately be back if ever we stayed in the area. Topsham is a beautiful village with great people. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside balcony area were great as somewhere to sit outside if you want.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen R
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night short break at The Globe. Good rooms, spotlessly clean. excellent showers, nice breakfast. Parking no real issue. Great atmosphere in the bar. Adam and his staff made us very welcome. Hotel well situated in the centre of Topsham. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

A beautyful place to visit and lovely hotel our only issue was the poor customer services over the bank holiday weekend with the facilities closing early and no customer services when needed.An example being over the bank holiday the cash machine in the village stoppped working and having paid for all the rooms well in advance they then made no cash back facility availible to purchase goods in the hotel or village.

As a group of mature visitors with thirty years of using the hotel we were made to feel unwelcome having spent thousands of pounds over the years using it as a base for a cricket tour most of the party being over 30 years old so not a group of teenagers.

The hotel had changed owners and claimed no desire to help for future years as the did not see the need for our business !!! We were not noisy or disruptive and how any business can turn away business in this day and age amazes me.

I would be happy to stay in the hotel again but would not recommend the management or staff to anyone needing assistance.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at The Globe for three nights. Bedroom was well appointed. King sized bed very comfortable, and very large white fluffy towels a delight. Shame there was no safe in the room. Breakfast was good each day. Staff were stretched on Sunday morning when the dining room was full.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for one night, having stayed the night before in another St Austell pub, where we had been given a loyalty card for 10% discount off future stays at any of the 4 St Austell pubs in Devon, but were warned that we may not be able to get the 10% discount at the Globe, as we had already booked.
We arrived at the pub, and sure enough as others had said, the entrance to the car park was really tiny, but we drove round the back, into a road called Globefields, and there was an easy way in. We parked the car and went off to explore the stunning area, walking down as far as Dawlish Warren.
When we checked in late afternoon, I told the receptionist about the loyalty card (it was in another bag)and asked if we would be able to claim the discount. He was chuffed to hear that we had a card as it was a new initiative and it was to be the first time he would have been presented with one. We went for a drink in the lovely bar, then I found the loyalty card and took it to reception, where I spoke to a different receptionist, who also assured me that I could use the card. We then went up to our room, and were really pleasantly surprised to find that we had been allocated a double room rather than a twin, as when I booked there was only a twin room left, so I booked it but asked if possible could we change to a double room should one become available. The room was nice enough, but there were no surfaces in the bathroom to store your stuff; nowhere for your toothbrushes and things, and the toiletries in the shower, although nice quality, being pump action bottles were awkward to use with wet hands and nowhere to rest them whilst using them.
We had dinner in the restaurant, and the food was excellent, and reasonably priced. After a good night's sleep in a very comfy bed (although the room was too warm as we couldn't switch off the radiator), we went to breakfast which was a little bit surreal in my experience: I chose to have a continental breakfast. I went up to the breakfast station and there was a good choice of fruit, yoghurts, cereals, salamis and goats cheese, croissants and Danish pastries, but no bread or butter. I asked the waitress if I could have some bread and butter and she said 'but there are croissants'; I said, 'but I want some meat and cheese and I don't want to eat that with a croissant' so off she went to get some bread but I was under the impression she thought it odd that I would want bread. My husband's full English was really good.
Went to check out and there was another receptionist on the desk, who told me that I wouldn't be able to use the loyalty card to claim a discount, because the computer wouldn't be able to accept it as we should have mentioned it on booking.
All in all though, The Globe is a lovely place, the restaurant is very good, and Topsham is beautiful. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank annierose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Topsham
Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
The Devon Hotel
The Devon Hotel
#4 of 31 in Exeter
Broadway House Luxury Serviced Rooms

Been to The Globe? Share your experiences!