“Wonderful food”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Colyford
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A charming 400 year old pub, in the historic village of Colyford. Visitors are guaranteed a warm welcome and great pub food in a warm country pub setting.
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

This was only a few minutes from Yeomans Acre and it was so handy. The food was excellent and the staff were so friendly. Please go to the Wheelwright Inn, you'll love it.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We ate there one evening, the food was a long time coming and not that good. Customers at a near table sent their meal back. We thought the manager could have been more helpful.

1  Thank Daniele B
Reviewed May 29, 2014

First, don't be fooled into thinking this is a 'gastro pub' - it very clearly is not, certainly not on the experience of a recent mid-week lunch time visit.

The rather elegant website promises so much and yet the menu delivers so much. It's fair to say the staff were delightful and this is no reflection on the front of house team. However the menu is NOT as seen on the website and the dishes all seem to have been 'dumbed down' (the best way I can describe it).

Starters are over priced - a single, small grilled mackerel with a pointless salad leaf or two (and raw white onion!) was a bit OTT at £6.95 and a 'seafood bruschetta' equally pricey, failed to set the taste buds alight. Pollock with parsley sauce boiled potatoes and veg was a bit like the curates egg - only good in parts. The fish was cooked OK but the veg was a bit dull and uninspiring as it was just dumped on the plate. I expected a bit more for £14.95.

Pan fried lambs liver and onions with mash and veg (carrots and cauliflower) was again a bit hit and miss. the liver was fine, the onion and gravy OK, but the mash was lumpy and verging on the grey. Again the veg was seemingly thrown on as a last thought. However I cannot fault the size of the portion and at £8.95, a fair plate of food for the money.

Best way to describe this place is one 'average pub food', with no creativity. If you are looking for an exciting experience and some eye-catching presentation to whet the appetite, then this is not the place to dine. So many other places do it better and to be honest, it felt like they were relaying on past glories to sell the current offering. It felt like the chef(s) had lost interest and this was reflected in how they sent out their food.

The hand pulled beers were fine - though served too cold for real ale - and at £3.30 a pint, about average price. The bar area is nice and the sofas in the corner are a nice touch and looked very welcoming.

Would I go back? Yes, possibly, but for a pint, a sofa and bar snack only, not to eat in the restaurant.
Would I rush back? No - sadly it's on my list of: 'great potential but could do a whole lot better'. Maybe it's time for a rethink and a new managers/tenant?

2  Thank Steve T
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stopped for lunch on a rainy BH weekend. Service was good, friendly staff. Nice ambience and atmosphere, a friendly local pub with a decent and varied menu. Food was served quickly, was piping hot and there was plenty of it. The fare served up was good, but not great. Well prepared and tasty, but not spectacular I thought. OK value for money. May be doing them a little dis service as it was 3pm and were pleased to find them still offering food, it was good, but from the surroundings and ambience, I expected a little more for my money.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I see my companions have beaten me to the review but lets be clear this is not a bunch of spiteful individuals doing a place down. This is an honest review (with a false rating as I understand Trip Advisor lists reviews from best to worst). I would hate for anyone to be misled by the former website as indeed I was when booking this restaurant for a friends stag weekend. What a shame that what was clearly once a pub that took pride in its food has fallen so far. The pictures attached are certainly from the days of the former chef/ management. The real shame is that the current management clearly don't care that a website exists that portrays the venue as something it most certainly is not. Not caring is the polite description of our meal. I would add that unlike one of my fellow diners I did try the Lemon Sole put in front of me, I consider myself quite the dare devil, he was absolutely correct to refuse to even try it. Seems little point mentioning that the caper butter was not even served with it as promised on the "specials" board that we had to discover ourselves. Suffice to say the kitchen staff and management should be ashamed and if it was my job to serve that muck to the unsuspecting public I would hand in my notice. Final point. The wine is supposed to be vintage not the fish...

5  Thank Cheddar_76