“Not great, not bad” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wheelwright Inn

The Wheelwright Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Colyford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Not great, not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Stopped for lunch on a rainy BH weekend. Service was good, friendly staff. Nice ambience and atmosphere, a friendly local pub with a decent and varied menu. Food was served quickly, was piping hot and there was plenty of it. The fare served up was good, but not great. Well prepared and tasty, but not spectacular I thought. OK value for money. May be doing them a little dis service as it was 3pm and were pleased to find them still offering food, it was good, but from the surroundings and ambience, I expected a little more for my money.

Visited May 2014

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Gave it Five So I Could Register My DISGUST!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I see my companions have beaten me to the review but lets be clear this is not a bunch of spiteful individuals doing a place down. This is an honest review (with a false rating as I understand Trip Advisor lists reviews from best to worst). I would hate for anyone to be misled by the former website as indeed I was when booking this restaurant for a friends stag weekend. What a shame that what was clearly once a pub that took pride in its food has fallen so far. The pictures attached are certainly from the days of the former chef/ management. The real shame is that the current management clearly don't care that a website exists that portrays the venue as something it most certainly is not. Not caring is the polite description of our meal. I would add that unlike one of my fellow diners I did try the Lemon Sole put in front of me, I consider myself quite the dare devil, he was absolutely correct to refuse to even try it. Seems little point mentioning that the caper butter was not even served with it as promised on the "specials" board that we had to discover ourselves. Suffice to say the kitchen staff and management should be ashamed and if it was my job to serve that muck to the unsuspecting public I would hand in my notice. Final point. The wine is supposed to be vintage not the fish...

5 Thank Cheddar_76
Corsham, United Kingdom
“Hysterical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

First off I'm giving this place a five purely for it's comedy value. And NOT it's hospitality. The whole experience was a great source of laughter for me and my friends on a pre-marital weekend away and will be for many years to come, and during those years I will be telling as many people as possible to AVOID this so called 'gastropub!'
As a foody and ex chef I am very proud of the produce we have in this country. And establishments like the wheelwrights should hang their heads in shame at the abhorrent way they disrespect them. And that's being kind. We were told by 'our waitress' that the produce is all locally
sourced, it also states this on the signage outside. It fails to state WHEN it was sourced. I'm pretty sure what was left of a lemon sole put in front of me was possibly older than me. After examining the charred remains of the fish for only a few seconds, which also smelled more plimsole than
lemon sole, I realised it was not only hard to look at but also in- edible. So I sent it back with out even a forkful. Thankfully. The 3 others on my table also followed suit and submitted their odious mess back to the seemingly unsurprised waitress, who seemed used to such qualms, and was agreed to take them off our bill. I do have to commend the person in the kitchen, who is clearly as far removed from the description of 'chef' as is possible, because I think it's actually harder to do what he did to our food than it was to cook it properly. And what ever it was they did before they used the microwaves in the
wheelwrights, should go back to that, because they should not be working in a kitchen. You will make someone seriously I'll soon. I'm just glad it wasn't us. This was just one element of the whole, frankly, frightening experience but I simply don't have the time nor the muster.
To the wheelwrights patrons- please stop giving British food such a bad name. And to prospective punters- the worst plates of food I have ever witnessed in my life, and I'm
including school. Another example of a lovely venue wasted. Avoid, for everyone's sake.

4 Thank Woodsmoke80
London, United Kingdom
“The chef can not cook!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

When i was 15 i remember cooking a meal for my mum for Mother's Day. Politely she nibbled at it but it was plainly obvious it was disgusting. Well, that meal i cooked some 20 years ago surpassed either of the dishes i was served up at the Wheelwright Inn. The food was so bad i could have bought a frozen meal, defrosted it, reheated it and it would still have been better!

Whoever in the kitchen cooked and prepared those dishes simply has no basic understanding of cooking. My starter was billed as smoked salmon with prawns. It was really a plate of defrosted prawns with a huge dollop of Marie Rose to disguise how unfresh the prawns were. The centre piece (the defrosted salmon) was clinging to the side of the plate in small bunches probably trying to escape attention or have its name associated to a dish 30 years behind the times and quite frankly, disgusting!

The main was an abomination. Pork fillet in a white wine and onion sauce with veg. Once i found the fillet buried beneath a tonne of what could only be described more as a bechemel concoction with thick uncooked onions, i wasn't too surprised to see a delicate piece of meat fried to a point where it was so tough it resembled the bottom of a plimsol! Less said about the nuked tasteless veg the better. How a chef cant even steam vegetables is beyond me!

Other than the food the place lacked atmosphere and the bill was incorrect. The service wasn't great but then again, if i were serving people there i'd be ashamed to bring people food like that. By the way, i'm still waiting for my table water! How this has any good reviews is beyond me. I never really send food back so this is a first for me but when i order food that doesn't have one basic component right or any care in the preparation or execution its a given.

Avoid.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kidsmarts
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
“Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Good food and service adjacent to the B&B so no need to drive so everyone able to drink if they so wished

Visited May 2014