“Eating Out”

Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Thought the quality of the food and service were both excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed our evening there

1  Thank Fiona C
There are newer reviews for The Wheelwright Inn

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Food was to die for very pleasantly presented, a range of different colours and flavours. I don't know how anyone could find faults, i had plaice - was so delicious and my husband had the lamb the Waitress told us up to 25 minutes to cook which it did, was very nice to be told., and the lamb was just faultless. A very nice welcome was greeted by a very friendly bar lady who got us some drinks and offered to tab straight away, was only two of them working on a busy Monday night which I thought was incredible. Service was brilliant, I believe in a successful establishment you shouldn't wait 15 minutes when the food is coming out as delightful as it is. Then at the end was asked hour our meal was by the waitress and offered a business card and told she couldnt wait for our return. Been back 5-6 times after our first go all been the same different dishes amazing, they even had a shop!!!!

1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Both had chicken ceasar salad, my friend and I were both violently sick exactly 36 hours later.
My elderly friend had to have the doctor who felt chicken was to blame.

Obviously one cannot definitely blame our meal but it has put us off.

2  Thank Watson_Winker
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having read the excellent reviews my husband and I were looking forward to our meal. Ambience was good and we were quickly shown to our table. Food service was on the slow side but not enough to spoil our evening, hopefully a good sign of freshly cooked food. A friendly waitress came quite quickly to take any drinks orders and I asked if they had a wine list. Puzzled reply 'yes, do you want to see it?' Once we had the wine list a reasonably priced bottle of Chenin Blanc was ordered and good point came in a wine cooler. Our shared starter of whitebait and breadboard was excellent. Unfortunately several items were unavailable from the menu but I chose salmon which was ok but slightly overcooked and presented skin side up. My husband's ham with bubble and squeak was very disappointing. A large gammon steak with a bit of potato on the side with a poached egg. It was edible but was very unattractive on the plate. Top of creme brulee for dessert was overdone but flavour was ok. All in all nothing bad enough to send back but not a place to rush back to. Unfortunately we ended up there again for lunch the following day as we were being taken to lunch by a relative we were visiting and he took us to 'his favourite restaurant'. He enjoyed his lunch but my husband and I had a caesar salad each, his with chicken. We both agreed that it was the worst caesar salad we have eaten anywhere. Water in bottom of bowl from lettuce, hunt the parmesan, all three minute shavings of it and instead of croutons a couple of minute pieces of toasted stale ciabatta.Why did we not complain? If it had been just the two of us we would have but not with company. To be fair staff were very friendly and it was service with a smile. Other patrons seemed happy so maybe we were just very unlucky but we wouldn't return.

1  Thank karen t
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Cosy atmosphere, friendly helpful staff, great menu and fabulous locally sourced produce. A really lovely evening

1  Thank LondonTraceyjeff