“Cosy Place”

The Who'd Have Thought It Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Milton Combe B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 10, 2014

my partner booked a night here as a surprise 50th birthday treat, the staff were friendly and welcoming, the room was well furnished and clean with a very comfy 4 poster bed, the mini fridge had a couple of bottles of water 3 ferrero rochet chocolates and a half bottle of Champagne in the fridge. The champagne was not to my taste (Very Cheap Type) and we ran out of hot water when trying to fill the Jacuzzi in the room we only just managed to fill it to the required level!!! the only meal we had was the compementry breakfast which I found to be of good quality although there was very little choice of Cereal Corn Flakes or Bran Flakes only and only Orange Juice.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah C, Manager at The Who'd Have Thought It Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank-you for your review however you have reviewed the wrong establishment as we don't have a Jacuzzi.

There are newer reviews for The Who'd Have Thought It Inn

Reviewed January 12, 2014

The pub was warm and welcoming on a wet night, the staff friendly and polite, although we waited a little while to be seated this was really not a problem, the food was beyond exceptions everyone said their food was great, to the extent that one of my staff member took a photo of the desert as it looked so fantastic, I had the same - it tasted sublime - heaven on a slate! A great night had by all, a smashing pub thank you to all the staff! - I would add we didn't stay at the pub - but at a holiday cottage owned by the owner in the village.

Room Tip: We stayed at Chapel Cottage owned by the Landlord - not at the pub, what a lovely cottage.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Milton Combe and the pub provide a lovely setting. We took extended family there for lunch. It was clearly popular with many tables reserved and I was glad that I had booked. The barmaid was very friendly and welcoming and the pub full of character.
However we felt that the chef wanted to be cooking somewhere else and not a country pub. We expected hearty portions of honest food. Instead we had to ask for more vegetables when we realised that one tiny bowl had been brought to share between 3. There was no problem with this and another but even smaller bowl appeared. We had enough for 2 rather than 3 even then. The children's portions were good but the choice very limited and then the desserts were tiny. The cheesecake was fancy to the point of laughable, piped onto a slate. If it had been put together properly it would have filled about three thimbles!
So great location, good beers, lovely staff but a chef who wants to be in London rather than at a country pub. It's a pity.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

The staff very friendly
We had a hoot.

The food was amazing
So beautifully presented
And when the bill arrived
Our purses weren;t dented.

Under new management
My experience here
I had to share........!!

1  Thank AlexPlym
Reviewed December 19, 2013

A group of us visited this pub and between us we tried everything on the fine dining menu! All of our enjoyed our meals and I would have been happy to have chosen anything from the menu. Although it was fine dining, the portions were just right. Not tiny and over pretentious, nor over large. Presentation was excellent. The pub is cosy and friendly, and although the village itself is a nightmare for parking, the pub has a huge car park behind. Though the pub does offer a good "pub grub" selection, it is the fine dining that makes it stand out. I shall definitely be returning for that special night out.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I recently visited this establishment as I had heard good things regarding the standard of the food. I went as part of a group, and had the best meal I have had in a long time. The choice of beer and wine is of a very high standard and you can have pub grub or fine dining. Between us we tried everything on the menu, it would appear that whatever you choose you will be delighted! It is unusual to find a menu where it is difficult to narrow down what to have. I didn't try the accomodation but in view of the experience I had last night, I think it would be a good option.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at the Who'd Have Thought It as it merited a return visit. Our room was clean and comfy with a nice en suite bathroom and although mobile reception is not good the wifi in our room was excellent. Getting to sleep was easy as it is in a quiet village with just the sound of the flowing stream outside to lull you to sleep.The husband and wife team who run the place made us most welcome. We ate in for two nights and I have to say the meals were of a high standard with a good choice of menu. The chef is seriously excellent. Together with great beer in the bar it all made for a very pleasant stay.
Well, assuming we are lucky enough to get a room in the summer months we will be back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Buckland Monachorum
Burrator Inn
Burrator Inn
#6 of 9 in Yelverton

Been to The Who'd Have Thought It Inn? Share your experiences!