Our family group of 10 rented the main house for a week at the beginning of August. It is set in large gardens which the kids enjoyed running around in and we made use of the gas BBQ one evening. The house is situated up at the end of a country lane, which takes a bit of finding, although unfortunately you soon realise the proximity of the noisy A30. It is within 30 minutes by car of the beaches of Exmouth and Sidmouth, other local attractions and 20 minutes to the nearest decent sized supermarket at Ottery St Mary. There are 3 large reception rooms on the ground floor, including a formal dining room that we never used. There is also another large room set up as an additional bedroom. There is a large TV, although the Wifi is pretty sketchy when multiple devices are fighting for bandwidth and could do with upgrading. The kitchen/diner is great and well equipped to cater for parties of 20 or more and a long table and benches which would comfortably seat 16. There is an Aga for use in winter as well as a regular oven and hob, a large tall fridge/freezer and two dishwashers.
All but one of the five double bedrooms on the 1st floor are en-suite and there is also a large seperate family bathroom. The bathrooms are well equipped, although the hot water did run low on a couple of mornings. Bedrooms are mostly tastefully decorated (apart from the bright pink one!), but some of the mattresses were less than comfortable. The kids enjoyed having the run of the massive loft room, which is set up as a dormitory, with beds to sleep upwards of 14.
Overall, we found this rental to be great value for such a spacious property.
This is a nice old country house conveniently located close to seaside resorts like Sidmouth and Exmouth.
The house is very spacious and certainly has a lot of old-fashioned charm. It also has nice gardens, with plenty of space for young children to run around.
Overall, we enjoyed our family holiday but there are a number of things that could be improved:
1. there is no instruction booklet on how things work, how to turn things on, what to do etc. (Other rented houses we've been to have all had this.)
2. there was some confusion when we arrived as to which beds had been made up in which rooms, with no instructions left about this.
3. the house looks as though it could do with a lick of paint in places to smarten things up, and several window glass panes are cracked.
4. numerous electric bulbs were not working, and although we replaced 4 of these (once we'd found where there were some spares), this still left over a dozen in need of replacement.
5. the house backs on to a very busy road (the A30), which can be very noisy, whether inside the house or out. This could be a problem for some guests.
Apart from the last of these, none of the above would require a lot of time or money to put right. As it his, one is left feeling that the house would benefit from a bit more loving care and attention. We would then be able to recommend it without reservation.