Country Hotel Velani
$160
$121
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of $164/night.

$101
Koni Village(Stalis)
$94
$82
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $110/night.

Ibiscus Hotel(Malia)(Great Value!)
$39
  • Pool
All reviewswelcoming hostsbumpy roadheraklion airportair conditioningsabinelassithinascretegreekholiday
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have been to Velani for riding and while I rode, my friends took lunch and a bath in the swimming pool. The food was extraordinary, the view, the place it self, the horses, the swimming pool...everything was just...amazing. I was so sad I didn't discover them earlier so that we could have stayed there all our holiday and not at our hotel in Heraklion..

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Raluca42
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We spent a week at Velani and we had great time. The hotel is situated among beautiful Cretan mountains, the views are amazing. The room was comfortable, the pool usually only for us (we used it in the evenings) and the food at Velani restaurant is simply delicious (lamb chops and grilled smoked pork ribs - yum! salads, starters, everything). The owners, Sabine and Manolis, are very nice and helpful.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OlaBM
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visited for a week in the middle of June. The accommodation was first class. There are only about 12 rooms in total, so it's never busy. Very clean, the bathroom had a bath and a "proper" shower (although Greek showers are fine by us!), and we had a lovely balcony with fantastic views over the valley. Sabine and Manolis were the perfect hosts and the food in the taverna was first class. The pool was a joy to sit by - kept very clean and being that the majority of guests were out horse riding, when we weren't out exploring the area, we had the place to ourselves! A car is essential, but being off the beaten track this was an idyllic location. Quiet with only the cicadas serenading us! An ideal place to stay to visit the east of the island (we spent the first week here then moved on to a village in the west of the island for our second week). Incredible views from the terrace of the taverna. If you want a change, there are two traditional tavernas in the village of Avdou, although unless you are super fit, a car is needed as the track leading down to the village is not only not a made up road, but it's quite far to walk! Uphill at the end of your meal! A relaxing, charming place to stay, ideally situated for exploring, with a vehicle, the east of Crete. If you're a horse rider, they organise excellent treks. Sabine is Dutch and both she and Manolis speak perfect English, so if you're like us, and a bit hesitant to speak Greek, you won't struggle here (although we found the locals really appreciated us making an effort to order our food and drink etc in Greek).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SCSEngland
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was at Odysseia stables at the start of May. I won't bother repeating all the detailed positive descriptions in the other reviews: THEY'RE ALL TRUE! Trying to summarize: the hosts Sabine and Manolis are serious and professional, very pleasant company, and try very hard to look after guests. Food is delicious, fresh, local, and changes daily (for example, try the succulent 'kleftiko' or the wonderful tasty salads). The site of the hotel is very beautiful, and the buildings thoughtfully laid out. Its easy to get to from Heraklion, but not too close, and feels like a world of its own. Its also a nice base for exploring areas like the Lasithi plateau, and North and South coasts. I was there as a horse riding beginner, so can't provide in depth comments about the horses and daily hacks: see the other reviews. I was very happy with the lessons even if I discovered I was less flexible and talented than I supposed I would be :-). I would very happily go back and in fact hope to after I get some more riding experience. Almost forgot: probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank subarinio
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I read all the good reviews of Hotel Velani, but I had no idea how ideallic the place really is.
Hotel Velani or country hotel lies against the hills behind Avdou. Which is about 20 minutes from Chersonissos.

The place looks fantastic. I think hotel is not the right word, as it feels so homely. Just 2 houses with a couple of rooms, like you're own small appartment. The rooms are spacious, with a separate toilet and a bathroom with a shower and a bath/shower. The water is always warm.

Manolis runs the hotel accomodation and is very friendly and cooks well. He does a lot of things. He serves/cooks/runs the business/black smith/riding teader etc etc. And a great father for his 2 daughters. Always friendly.

Sabine is dutch and runs the stables. The horses are well feed, friendly, reliable and good working horses on the trail. Sabine got now one big Friesian horse, but the rest is a bit smaller. And 2 ponies. Both work so hard that they can keep up with the bigger horses when you are in canter.

We had just a fantastic week in Hotel Velani. We did the panorama rides. See also my review on the Odysseia stables. But my husband he stayed at the hotel. He did some walks in the surroundings and enjoyed it a lot. Once he was invited by greek people who had a church service to eat and drink. That is the real greek culture. Or the day that the shepperd called his sheeps for food and they all came running down.

As the number of quest is limited you have more talks with the other quests, which I like.

So we were for a week in paradise.

How to get to this paradise?
Several possiblities:
1. Call Sabine and she will arrange a taxi from the heraklion airport
2. Take the bus to lissiti plateau (but just once a day, so you most probably you will miss this one) This is the only bus which stops in Avdou. Give Sabine or Manolis a call and somebody will pick you up from the village.
3. Which we did, after we found out that the bus was not going on that day. Take the bus to Chersonissos ( €3 per person) and next to the bus stop there are 2 taxi stands. I asked the further one to drive us up to Avdou. He wanted €30 which I found to expensive. The taxi stand very close to the bus, opposite of Subway took us for 820 to Avdou. But as Hotel Velani is just a bit further and the road not very good, he charged us €25. Which is a good price (Manolis said)

If you want something special, quiet, relaxing, real authentic and fun choose Hotel Velani. You will not regret it.

Small Improvements: the beds are a bit hard. We slept ok, but we are used ot more softer beds at home. Wifi is for free at the restaurant. And next year there will be also wifi in the rooms. The rooms are cleaned and towels are changed every 2 days.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family