“The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!”

and 1 more site!
Trillium Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Sydney
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The following is based on our 2 night stay July 22 & 23 2013. Here's the facts pertaining to our 2 night stay at the Lakeview #1 chalet. No sugar-coating.

The Good......the staff, they are all very friendly and polite as can be. Couldn't ask for more in this department from the time we arrived till the time we checked out. First day I was not feeling well and the dining staff delivered dinner to our chalet without hesitation.The beds we found very comfortable, and in very good condition. Easy to sleep on for sure.

The Bad.........Let's start with the web site when you book a reservation. It clearly says a $50.00 deposit for each person still on July 28th, as it did back in May when we made our booking. Our CC was debited $300.00 the date of booking, we brought it to the attention of the resort then, and they said they would change it on their website but still have not.
Their seems to be a need for a property management team to come in and fix things, and bring the resort more in line with what one would expect for the money being paid. Ours was a 2 day Couples package with breakfast and dinner included as well as 2 massages. For this we paid $1,153.62 minus $21.90 for lunch one day and $14.00 for 2 glasses of wine at one dinner.
At time of booking we did not realize the chalet was a semi/shared unit (we had 1/2 some one else had the other 1/2). Walls are thin and if you have loud neighbours, you'll hear them.
We also took for granted that since there is television in the units, that there would be reception, however there is NO reception whatsoever, no cable, no rabbit ears, no nothing, you do not get even one channel. There was a DVD player, however it did not work, and Gord from management did get it to play but only on a split screen on the very old, did I say very old and small T.V. set. There is wireless internet service however, but it did disconnect frequently the second day and evening as there was a wind/rain storm. Our lap-top saved us from total bordem.
The chalet was clean enough but is certainly rustic with its green painted walls. We found the front entrance way needed repairs to the screen encompassing it as it had holes and pushed inward. Squeaky old screen door. Once oinside we found that all the windows were incapable of being locked as they would not close properly as the wood seemed swollen, and one would not crank open at all as it was broken along with the screen (living room). One window in the lower bedroom had the thermal seal broken and all mositurized between panes. Same with one big window in the living room area (thermal seal broken and all wet inside)
Kitchenette in our unit but there is not a little table or chairs, just a shelf on the wall with 2 wooden stools. Bathroom adequate but "PLEASE".... get some decent toilet paper and kleenex tissues. This is like 1 ply stuff, the cheapest on the market.....(take your own, as well as paper towels for the kitchen)
The bedroom up stairs was also adequate, but the stair steps were the noisiest squeaky things ever, as they are open with no risors on them for support. Getting up through the night will not go un-noticed!
The beach /lake area is muddy, and very dark water, not inviting for swimming. Never saw one person in the lake swimming over the 2 days.
At the main resort building there is an outside deck with tables and umbrellas, but please, please wipe up the previous days coffee stains etc off the tables before serving breakfast, and wipe the chairs down as well!
The website menu advertises in its menu, "Blueberry" pie for desert...... there was no blueberry pie either of the two days, and this in the height of blueberry season (was counting on this) They were out of coco-nut cream pie as well, and the only apple pie was not fresh as the crust was all wet from sittting in refridgeration too long it seemed.
There is no air conditioning in the chalet at all.

The UGLY.....we paid $130.00 extra for the lakeview, but all it is, is a bush-view, the brush and trees blocked out 95% of any view of the lake. Total let down in this area. Get a chain saw, and clean it up. All others we talked to complained of the same thing reagrding the inability to see the lake. This has also been on the list of complaints in the tripadvisor reviews from last year I notoiced.
The swimming pool is not heated, and it is cold. Get a heater for the 3 summer months at least. The hot tub, is lacking in cleanliness with the scum line clearly visible, and heavily disinfected from the very noticable fumes. Needs work for sure.
The steep hills getting to the chalet and steps everywhere are very tiresome. Management offer no assistance getting your luggage or yourself to and from your unit, except a small wagon provided for you to pull yourself as you cannot drive your car to your unit. The maid service drive golf carts, but offer no rides either.
The bugs, I know management can't control the bugs and the deer flies, but they did make it all but impossible to use the trails these 2 days.
There is one very noticable smel at the bridge at the waterfalls by the Honeymoon Chalet on the way to the Spa building. What on earth is that. It is like a broken sewer pipe. I could not imagine being in that Honeymoon chalet the 2 days we were at the resort.
The decor in the main biuilding where the dining room is, is far far superior and bright to what is in the chalet.
Please fix the broken steps at the front entrance to the main building.
All in all we did endure the two day stay, but without some necessary and immediate improvements would never consider returning again. Three other couples we met all said the same thing about not returning. Not great advertising for sure.
We realized it was not a 5 star resort when we did the booking, but we feel very ripped off big-time paying for the lakeview view, and not recieving what we paid for at all.

12  Thank Dean139
Robert H, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Dean139
Welcome to Trip Advisor, Thank You for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Trillium Resort and Spa. We appreciate the Good comments regarding our staff. To address some of your concerns; Our standard deposit is $50 per person, with the packages that do not include spa treatments. I am sorry that you found the 14" insulated walls to be thin, this has not been an issue in the past. We are a Resort and Spa and the demand for televisions in the rooms has not been an issue, as the majority of our guests visit to get away from TV ,however as you know we have the 60" flat screen with satellite in the main Lodge. We do offer a complimentary library of recent DVDs as well . We were happy to hear our free Wi-Fi saved you from boredom during your romance package . The Chalets were just painted with green paint over the winter and our many, many returning guests have been happy with the change. Our 4 outside tables are regularly wiped and cleaned when it is not raining outside. The menu on our website is a "sample" menu and clearly states this. During your stay our pies were baked fresh every 2 days. You were in Chalet #1 with the road right beside the stairs to your chalet. In our experience guests in that chalet do not require assistance, however we are happy to provide if needed. Our 1 ply toilet tissue is the only tissue that can be used with our septic system, This is the case with most Muskoka Resorts ,cottages ,restaurants etc. The smell at the waterfall would have been the Muskoka Nature after and during a rainfall and not broken pipes as you suggested. We regularly clear views for the Chalets as there is constant growth here in cottage country, however we try to keep it natural without clear-cutting. I would have been happy to address and discuss any of your comments personally while you were here, however nothing was brought to our attention only how great things were as we delivered meals to your room while you were not feeling well. We appreciate the fact that you booked with our online reservation system, In the future rather than taking anything for granted you are welcome to call with any questions and we would be happy to help . All of our management team has met and discussed your concerns and will take action..
Robert.

There are newer reviews for Trillium Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just returned from a two-day stay and I wish it had been much longer. The meals were delicious; we even had desserts which we always avoid at home. The resort offered loads of watercraft and the lake was small enough that we covered it both by rowboat and canoe. We saw only one other property on the lake and it was curious; it was a noisy neighbour that used a loud gong for morning wake-up and evening meals. I suppose there is nothing much Trillium can do to correct this, but it was the only sour note in a very enjoyable getaway!

Room Tip: Most cabins were a fair hike to the lake. My wife has mobility issues, and the resort posed some ac...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert H, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Colinshire
Thank you for your nice comments about your recent stay here at Trillium. Yes, we have a camp nearby and periodically they will use the gong to signify different events or activities.. This has not been a big issue over the years however like you some guests do not enjoy that. I apologize for any inconvenience.
We hope to see you again
Robert

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The most relaxing place to go have been there many time and enjoy each time a little bit more A beautiful rustic place and friendly Had the most delicious dinners ever Felt like heaven Thanks to everyone

Room Tip: The cottage are all excellent Have stayed in them all
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert H, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Dawson 064
It was a pleasure to see you again and we were happy to hear you had the time to relax. Thank You for your great comments I have passed them on to all the staff. Please keep us in mind for your fall getaway.
Robert.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Came here for our baby-moon. Such a relaxing place. On the rustic side (think a nice cottage feel), but just perfect! Food was awesome too! Likely won't be back for a while since the resort is adults-only, but will go back as soon as we can :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert H, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Gr8ServiceIsKEY

Thank You for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Trillium Resort and Spa. We have just reopened after a devastating lighting strike and fire that hit us in September 2012. It was nice to have many regulars return with some new guests and hear the feedback. Best wishes with your new addition and keep us in mind for a getaway down the road.
Robert

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were married at the Trillium in September 2011. I just wanted to say that it was a truly perfect weekend and I would highly recommend the Trillium to any couple looking for a beautiful, rustic venue. There's a reason that this place hosts a wedding on almost every weekend during the season! Here's a story about our experience: http://www.weddingbells.ca/real-weddings/a-rustic-wedding-in-the-woods-in-muskoka-ontario/

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

To date, I have stayed at Trillium Resort in both the winter and early summer - the winter weekend was in a lakefront chalet, and I basically had the resort to myself (heaven!), while the summer weekend was in a lovely, quiet cottage. The food and service were both fantastic, and hiking around the property a joy. My only regret is that I have yet to be there during the fall to see the full colours.

I was surprised (and grateful) that a 'singles' supplement was not applied to my account (additional charge for single occupancy) at Trillium - that in itself turned me into a loyal/repeat customer. Additionally, I found no fault with the spa - the atmosphere was relaxing, and the attendant both competent and pleasant.

I would recommend this resort property to any of my friends/family, and plan to return there this winter.

Room Tip: A lakefront chalet is definitely the way to go!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank shift_outofmyway
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've thought long and hard as to what type of review to write of this place and what was fair. In the end we had a great wedding and I was happy. I feel though there is still room for Trillium to grow in it's customer service area, dealing with weddings specifically.

I reserved Trillium for my wedding - the primary attraction for me was the privacy of the resort as well as the cost. At my viewing I was able to see the rooms - I didn't expect 5 star accommodation - if you're looking for that then head to the Marriott on Lake Rousseau. They were nothing to write home about but were quaint, mostly clean, a little bit older but functional and charming.

Robert and Joanne were very kind and understanding. I imagine they've dealt with a few crazy brides with all the weddings they host. However, I did run into a few issues during my booking process and stay.

I didn't want the "standard wedding" packages they offered, I needed mine a bit more tailored. They were happy to comply but there were several communication errors arose from doing this and I had to try to contact them a few times in a row sometimes to get a response.
I had mentioned guests wanted to arrive on Thursday to them when I was there in April. A month before the wedding was told that Thursday was not blocked off for me. My fiancée and I had to move 3 times during our 4 night stay there. That was exhausting and also made it difficult to find items needed for the wedding. Several of our wedding party had to move around as well.
They also were confused on our room list and schedule after I had sat down with them in the morning and given them a copy of the itinerary and room list. Again, minor issues but still things I had to try and deal with during my wedding.
In the honeymoon suite there was some sort of leak that leaked all over one of our canvas clothing bags and soaked it. Robert explained that it broke a day prior to arrival and a repairman was on his way. It would have been nice to know that prior so we set our bags elsewhere. The toilet in our room also broke somehow and wouldn't flush.

I wasn't impressed with the food at the tasting in April. I told this to Robert and was sceptical about the family dinner. The food turned out to be amazing and quiet impressive. They did a wonderful job catering the dinner as well and setting up the dining room. The breakfasts were also wonderful and well catered.

We had a few other kinks - on every single wedding package it says that it comes with "A dedicated on-site wedding coordinator" I did not find that at all. The DJ was shut down around 11 pm both nights due to a noise complaint. He was set up outside. If I wasn't busy entertaining guests I would have had him go into the main lodge - this is something I thought Joanne would suggest to them or bring to my attention as we were planning on having the dances till 2 am. It was/still is a huge disappointment we had no music.

Overall we had a lovely time at Trillium with our friends and family. It was nice that everything was so close and that we were the only ones at the resort. I would definitely hire your own on-site wedding co-ordinator and make sure all the details are finalized a few months prior. You can expect great food, good food/bar service, nice views and decent rooms. Robert was a good host, understanding and eager to make sure we left happy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Windermere House Resort & Hotel
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
#3 of 18 in Huntsville

Been to Trillium Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!