“Wonderful venue for a rustic wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trillium Resort and Spa

Trillium Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Sydney
Montreal, Canada
“Wonderful venue for a rustic wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were married at the Trillium in September 2011. I just wanted to say that it was a truly perfect weekend and I would highly recommend the Trillium to any couple looking for a beautiful, rustic venue. There's a reason that this place hosts a wedding on almost every weekend during the season! Here's a story about our experience: http://www.weddingbells.ca/real-weddings/a-rustic-wedding-in-the-woods-in-muskoka-ontario/

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

To date, I have stayed at Trillium Resort in both the winter and early summer - the winter weekend was in a lakefront chalet, and I basically had the resort to myself (heaven!), while the summer weekend was in a lovely, quiet cottage. The food and service were both fantastic, and hiking around the property a joy. My only regret is that I have yet to be there during the fall to see the full colours.

I was surprised (and grateful) that a 'singles' supplement was not applied to my account (additional charge for single occupancy) at Trillium - that in itself turned me into a loyal/repeat customer. Additionally, I found no fault with the spa - the atmosphere was relaxing, and the attendant both competent and pleasant.

I would recommend this resort property to any of my friends/family, and plan to return there this winter.

Room Tip: A lakefront chalet is definitely the way to go!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank shift_outofmyway
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I've thought long and hard as to what type of review to write of this place and what was fair. In the end we had a great wedding and I was happy. I feel though there is still room for Trillium to grow in it's customer service area, dealing with weddings specifically.

I reserved Trillium for my wedding - the primary attraction for me was the privacy of the resort as well as the cost. At my viewing I was able to see the rooms - I didn't expect 5 star accommodation - if you're looking for that then head to the Marriott on Lake Rousseau. They were nothing to write home about but were quaint, mostly clean, a little bit older but functional and charming.

Robert and Joanne were very kind and understanding. I imagine they've dealt with a few crazy brides with all the weddings they host. However, I did run into a few issues during my booking process and stay.

I didn't want the "standard wedding" packages they offered, I needed mine a bit more tailored. They were happy to comply but there were several communication errors arose from doing this and I had to try to contact them a few times in a row sometimes to get a response.
I had mentioned guests wanted to arrive on Thursday to them when I was there in April. A month before the wedding was told that Thursday was not blocked off for me. My fiancée and I had to move 3 times during our 4 night stay there. That was exhausting and also made it difficult to find items needed for the wedding. Several of our wedding party had to move around as well.
They also were confused on our room list and schedule after I had sat down with them in the morning and given them a copy of the itinerary and room list. Again, minor issues but still things I had to try and deal with during my wedding.
In the honeymoon suite there was some sort of leak that leaked all over one of our canvas clothing bags and soaked it. Robert explained that it broke a day prior to arrival and a repairman was on his way. It would have been nice to know that prior so we set our bags elsewhere. The toilet in our room also broke somehow and wouldn't flush.

I wasn't impressed with the food at the tasting in April. I told this to Robert and was sceptical about the family dinner. The food turned out to be amazing and quiet impressive. They did a wonderful job catering the dinner as well and setting up the dining room. The breakfasts were also wonderful and well catered.

We had a few other kinks - on every single wedding package it says that it comes with "A dedicated on-site wedding coordinator" I did not find that at all. The DJ was shut down around 11 pm both nights due to a noise complaint. He was set up outside. If I wasn't busy entertaining guests I would have had him go into the main lodge - this is something I thought Joanne would suggest to them or bring to my attention as we were planning on having the dances till 2 am. It was/still is a huge disappointment we had no music.

Overall we had a lovely time at Trillium with our friends and family. It was nice that everything was so close and that we were the only ones at the resort. I would definitely hire your own on-site wedding co-ordinator and make sure all the details are finalized a few months prior. You can expect great food, good food/bar service, nice views and decent rooms. Robert was a good host, understanding and eager to make sure we left happy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank mscalgary8
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were married this summer at Trillium and had guests from all over the world attend and stay for up to 5 days. The staff were very helpful with having the overseas guests book into the resort and inform them of other services.
As a bride planning a wedding from Australia, I had such helpful service from the Inn keeper Robert with the planning process. He was extremely helpful with every detail of the plans and we can't thank him and the staff enough for making it an exceptional time and a wedding day to remember!
The resort itself had so many ammenities that guests could take part in such as bikes, tennis, canoes and this was a great way for family to spend time together while enjoying the beuatiful summer weather!
Each morning we started with the breakfast buffet, which was delicious and varied in choice. The staff were also very accomodating for those with dietary constraints.

I would highly recommend Trillium to anyone looking for a gorgeous wedding location, as well as for a lovely getaway! As soon as you drive up the lane way to the resort, you feel like you have left the busy city behind and you can begin to truly relax on a property surrounded by forest and the gorgeous lake!
Thank you again to Trillium for making all our wedding dreams come true and showing our overseas family what a true Canadian nature resort looks like with true Canadian hospitality!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JenAndJulesS
toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

room was ok and comfortable and food was good. spa, not good at all. I asked for rmt and did not get a receipt. I was told because I got the deal from jaunt, I am not entitled to the full receipt but the difference which is about $15. forget it I said. come billing time, I was charged taxes & gratuities for the package (room, meals and spa services) and then was charged again at the spa for the full taxes and gratuities ($150 value to be spent at the spa). I inquired and was told sorry we cannot do anything because you bought a discounted package. so I said ok so I thougt I was saving but in the end, I had to pay almost 30% taxes and 30% gratuities on the $150 part of the package. never again because of this. bad customer service!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank hopesup11
Robert_K_Henry, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear hopesup 11
Thank You for your review and your comments regarding your stay. Just to clarify some of your concerns, the voucher that you purchased through jaunt clearly indicated that taxes and gratuities were not included in the package and were payable upon departure. The spa also has a sign displayed on the desk saying there will be a 15% gratuity added to the bill. This has become an industry standard for guests convenience, but not mandatory. In regards to the spa credit, from what we understand from our management company is you cannot receive a spa credit and then claim it, which is why they do not offer a receipt on top of the credit. I have spoken to our management company to be sure they are letting our guests know all billing policies as well as putting it on confirmations. We had some great feedback from that program and were voted 1 of top 50 jaunts offered over the entire year period.
Sincerely

Robert Henry
Havelock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at the Trillium Resort from August 20th to August 22nd. My husband and I stayed in a regular cottage (Terrace 1 Left), and my sister and her husband (who had opted for the upgrade) were in a lakeview chalet. (#4) LOVED both!! It was so nice having the amazing deck at my sister's chalet, but our cottage was lovely in itself...just not quite the view! The chalet, mind you, was perched atop a very steep hill, and you certainly got quite the workout just walking up to it, but it really was a spectacular chalet! (complete with a bedroom downstairs, as well as one in an adorable upstairs loft!...)(and don't forget peanuts for the resident squirrels and chipmunks!!!) The staff are so friendly. Dinner and a buffet breakfast were included, and both were phenomenal!!..Our waitresses, Jody and Kayla, -- as well as the wine stewart, Doug -- were amazing. They are all assets to the resort...friendly, outgoing, attentive, and thoughtful. Meals were amazing...kudos to the chef!
--and to top things off...we all took advantage of our $75.00 spa credits, and opted for the couples massage! Amazing!!
All in all...a wonderful way to celebrate my sister and brother-in-law's 42nd anniversary, and my husband's 65th birthday! Thanks for a wonderful, relaxing time!
We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Just remember that the lakeview chalets are very hard to get to...a very steep hill that you can'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane M
Oakville, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We are a couple of 40-somethings looking to get away for a couple of days in August in Muskoka, as we were in town anyway to pick up one of our three teen boys from a nearby camp. We booked the Trillium Resort months ago on an internet "deal", it all worked out to $500 Cdn (total, $250 each) for 3 days and 2 nights, we think this was excellent value considering what we got. We would definitely go again.

We were booked into a 2-unit cottage, and our neighbours were very quiet and we hardly knew they were there. The cottage was just as described on the web site, a spacious one room with 2 couches (one a pull-out), a small tv just for movies, a fridge (with a small freezer, perfect for ice), and a bathroom. We had one queen bed. We knew it would not look like a Hilton hotel room, and would be a little rustic, as all good cottages should be, so we were not put off in the least that the paint could use some updating and the floor seemed a little uneven in places, we only slept and changed there, and the bed was plenty comfy.

We arrived on Day 1 at 1 pm for a 3pm check-in, the room was not ready but we were warmly welcomed and told to please use the facilities and come back in an hour. We went for a stroll and realized how beautiful and peaceful this setting is, only 44 beds at max capacity, and adults-only, really a place to get away from it all, no wild parties here. The lake and grounds were just what we love about Muskoka, even the fact that it abuts Ontario Pioneer Camp and you can hear the kids having a great time (they have their own lake) was a plus. I couldn't wait to use their kayaks/canoes/rowboat/mountain bikes/ hiking trails/hot tub/sauna, which I did in time use all of them. The room was ready at 2 pm as promised, and we were away, using all the above mentioned facilities (the weather for 3 days was perfect), we only sunned by the outdoor pool and didn't go in as it is not heated and the lake is warmer. However, the lake has a pretty mucky bottom, so I preferred to fish for small bass and enjoy being out on a canoe, it is a very small lake as you can see from a map, easy to negotiate.

Our first dinner was awesome, the steak was so tasty my wife had it again on the second day, whereas I also had a steak on Day 1 but Mediteranean chicken on Day 2. However, the dessert was positively ridiculously decedent, I had a very enjoyable chocolate cheesecake, but the warm lava cake my wife had was such a chocolate lover's delight we both had it the second night as well!! The breakfast buffet was well presented and filling, you are on your own for lunch but we never needed it after such a filling breakfast, I loved the banana pancakes with fresh whipped cream and a pot of maple syrup, awesome! The other guests we encountered were like minded, all 40-50-60 somethings, looking for peace and quiet, super friendly, as were the staff. On Day 2 we used our $75 spa credit for a couple's massage in the on-site spa, we don't do that very often so it was a treat and we both felt great afterwards. I am not a spa veteran so I can't comment on how it stacks up, but we were treated very well there and I felt great, and it smelled nice, I think that is what it is supposed to be about??

This resort is used most weekends for weddings, where the wedding party must book the whole place, hence you will see many reviews on this site about weddings. We did see two couples being toured around while we were there, and when we left they had only 1 open date for 2013, so they must do a great job!! They have ample photos in the cozy library/tv room/ sitting room so you can see what a wedding would look like in all seasons, I thought it would make a great site for a wedding, max 60 beds if they use the couches, but they can seat over 100 guests for the dinner if people wish to just spend the day or stay nearby.

I think that is it, that's a lot, would recommend this place without hesitation, especially considering what we got for the money and that we are the type to try all the facilities and amenities to add to the experience. Will add a couple of snapshots, but there are lots on the site already, loved the mist off the lake in the morning, hard to capture that in a photo. Relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage (Pleasant Dreams), but they have chalets as well which are slightly larger an...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
#3 of 18 in Huntsville
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,664 reviews

Been to Trillium Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!