“had problems with billing- charged twice for taxes and gratuities”

and 1 more site!
Trillium Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Sydney
Reviewed September 11, 2012

room was ok and comfortable and food was good. spa, not good at all. I asked for rmt and did not get a receipt. I was told because I got the deal from jaunt, I am not entitled to the full receipt but the difference which is about $15. forget it I said. come billing time, I was charged taxes & gratuities for the package (room, meals and spa services) and then was charged again at the spa for the full taxes and gratuities ($150 value to be spent at the spa). I inquired and was told sorry we cannot do anything because you bought a discounted package. so I said ok so I thougt I was saving but in the end, I had to pay almost 30% taxes and 30% gratuities on the $150 part of the package. never again because of this. bad customer service!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hopesup11
Robert_K_Henry, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear hopesup 11
Thank You for your review and your comments regarding your stay. Just to clarify some of your concerns, the voucher that you purchased through jaunt clearly indicated that taxes and gratuities were not included in the package and were payable upon departure. The spa also has a sign displayed on the desk saying there will be a 15% gratuity added to the bill. This has become an industry standard for guests convenience, but not mandatory. In regards to the spa credit, from what we understand from our management company is you cannot receive a spa credit and then claim it, which is why they do not offer a receipt on top of the credit. I have spoken to our management company to be sure they are letting our guests know all billing policies as well as putting it on confirmations. We had some great feedback from that program and were voted 1 of top 50 jaunts offered over the entire year period.

There are newer reviews for Trillium Resort and Spa

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at the Trillium Resort from August 20th to August 22nd. My husband and I stayed in a regular cottage (Terrace 1 Left), and my sister and her husband (who had opted for the upgrade) were in a lakeview chalet. (#4) LOVED both!! It was so nice having the amazing deck at my sister's chalet, but our cottage was lovely in itself...just not quite the view! The chalet, mind you, was perched atop a very steep hill, and you certainly got quite the workout just walking up to it, but it really was a spectacular chalet! (complete with a bedroom downstairs, as well as one in an adorable upstairs loft!...)(and don't forget peanuts for the resident squirrels and chipmunks!!!) The staff are so friendly. Dinner and a buffet breakfast were included, and both were phenomenal!!..Our waitresses, Jody and Kayla, -- as well as the wine stewart, Doug -- were amazing. They are all assets to the resort...friendly, outgoing, attentive, and thoughtful. Meals were amazing...kudos to the chef!
--and to top things off...we all took advantage of our $75.00 spa credits, and opted for the couples massage! Amazing!!
All in all...a wonderful way to celebrate my sister and brother-in-law's 42nd anniversary, and my husband's 65th birthday! Thanks for a wonderful, relaxing time!
We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Just remember that the lakeview chalets are very hard to get to...a very steep hill that you can'...
1  Thank Diane M
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We are a couple of 40-somethings looking to get away for a couple of days in August in Muskoka, as we were in town anyway to pick up one of our three teen boys from a nearby camp. We booked the Trillium Resort months ago on an internet "deal", it all worked out to $500 Cdn (total, $250 each) for 3 days and 2 nights, we think this was excellent value considering what we got. We would definitely go again.

We were booked into a 2-unit cottage, and our neighbours were very quiet and we hardly knew they were there. The cottage was just as described on the web site, a spacious one room with 2 couches (one a pull-out), a small tv just for movies, a fridge (with a small freezer, perfect for ice), and a bathroom. We had one queen bed. We knew it would not look like a Hilton hotel room, and would be a little rustic, as all good cottages should be, so we were not put off in the least that the paint could use some updating and the floor seemed a little uneven in places, we only slept and changed there, and the bed was plenty comfy.

We arrived on Day 1 at 1 pm for a 3pm check-in, the room was not ready but we were warmly welcomed and told to please use the facilities and come back in an hour. We went for a stroll and realized how beautiful and peaceful this setting is, only 44 beds at max capacity, and adults-only, really a place to get away from it all, no wild parties here. The lake and grounds were just what we love about Muskoka, even the fact that it abuts Ontario Pioneer Camp and you can hear the kids having a great time (they have their own lake) was a plus. I couldn't wait to use their kayaks/canoes/rowboat/mountain bikes/ hiking trails/hot tub/sauna, which I did in time use all of them. The room was ready at 2 pm as promised, and we were away, using all the above mentioned facilities (the weather for 3 days was perfect), we only sunned by the outdoor pool and didn't go in as it is not heated and the lake is warmer. However, the lake has a pretty mucky bottom, so I preferred to fish for small bass and enjoy being out on a canoe, it is a very small lake as you can see from a map, easy to negotiate.

Our first dinner was awesome, the steak was so tasty my wife had it again on the second day, whereas I also had a steak on Day 1 but Mediteranean chicken on Day 2. However, the dessert was positively ridiculously decedent, I had a very enjoyable chocolate cheesecake, but the warm lava cake my wife had was such a chocolate lover's delight we both had it the second night as well!! The breakfast buffet was well presented and filling, you are on your own for lunch but we never needed it after such a filling breakfast, I loved the banana pancakes with fresh whipped cream and a pot of maple syrup, awesome! The other guests we encountered were like minded, all 40-50-60 somethings, looking for peace and quiet, super friendly, as were the staff. On Day 2 we used our $75 spa credit for a couple's massage in the on-site spa, we don't do that very often so it was a treat and we both felt great afterwards. I am not a spa veteran so I can't comment on how it stacks up, but we were treated very well there and I felt great, and it smelled nice, I think that is what it is supposed to be about??

This resort is used most weekends for weddings, where the wedding party must book the whole place, hence you will see many reviews on this site about weddings. We did see two couples being toured around while we were there, and when we left they had only 1 open date for 2013, so they must do a great job!! They have ample photos in the cozy library/tv room/ sitting room so you can see what a wedding would look like in all seasons, I thought it would make a great site for a wedding, max 60 beds if they use the couches, but they can seat over 100 guests for the dinner if people wish to just spend the day or stay nearby.

I think that is it, that's a lot, would recommend this place without hesitation, especially considering what we got for the money and that we are the type to try all the facilities and amenities to add to the experience. Will add a couple of snapshots, but there are lots on the site already, loved the mist off the lake in the morning, hard to capture that in a photo. Relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage (Pleasant Dreams), but they have chalets as well which are slightly larger an...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank tbone16
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We found the perfect spot for a summer holiday on a weekend in August at Trillium Resort and Spa. It was our first time in the "Falling Waters Chalet", a very special place in the woods overlooking the Trillium Waterfall from its huge deck. Known as the "honeymoon chalet" it was the perfect private accommodation with a full kitchen, where we cooked some of our meals, a separate dining room and bedroom with a queen bed. The Chalet was extremely spacious with a wall of living room windows reflecting the forest view. For me the bathroom was easily converted into an accessible facility with a bath chair, tub mat and extension shower head.

We have booked a 5 day holiday in September in this same chalet. I will cook some of our meals, while we will go to the dining room for dinner when we are not motoring about Muskoka, with its boat tours, train rides, galleries, restaurants and lots of wonderful scenery.
And of course, there is the beach at Trillium's Devine Lake and the pool. hot tub and sauna near the main buildings and The Spa, We can't wait for our return!!

Room Tip: Since I wrote my review, "A Gem of a Resort" about a cottage vacation last March, I have...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_K_Henry, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Ann64W
Thank You for your great comments regarding your return visit to Trillium Resort and Spa. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Falling Water Chalet. The staff are saying you are starting to become family, which is nice to hear. We will look forward to your September visit, Let us know if there is anything we can have ready for your arrival.

Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Well we went from the worst to one of the best in one weekend .... Lol.
The Trilium really is a great place to get away from the busy lives we all lead. We had a gorgeous view of the lake every morning when we had coffee on the deck of our cottage. The staff was extremely helpful and curtious and a pleasure to deal. There are plans to fix the pool, which is a bit tired looking, and because they are on a well and septic, the water pressure is quite low, but overall a great stay, just no long showers.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Patrick F

Dear Allwetwatersports.
Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay at Trillium Resort and Spa. Yes, this year has been difficult all over Muskoka with such dry conditions; our well pump has been working overtime. Traditionally our pool has not been a big attraction as most guests prefer the lake. As you mentioned we are looking at some different options for next year that will see big improvements in that area and hope you will return to see them.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Here is my review

1. Lakeview Chalet - nice, but bathroom needs updating, as well as kitchenette. Beds were cozy. Freezer was not working, and porch "overlooking the lake", which you cannot see due to the abundance of trees, needs a serious cleaning and paint job.
No cable in rooms, and very small television.

2. Food - very good. Waitresses were great as well.

3. Spa - now here is where it went all wrong. My services were terrible. I had a massage by an esthetician, and paid the same as a massage from a RMT. The facial was the worst facial I have ever had. This is due to the esthetican I had, because my mother had the same services and she thought they were great (different esthetician)
The spa decor however was beautiful, but way too many stairs - WATCH YOUR STEP!

4. Staff - no complaints. All staff were friendly and attentive

5. Location and Resort - very nice. We were not able to take advantage of any outdoor amenities as it rained the whole weekend, but the beach and pool looked nice. Outdoor pool not heated.

Room Tip: Make sure you have coffee in your room for the morning. Lakeview does not mean full lakeview - you...
2  Thank Corine G
Robert_K_Henry, Innkeeper at Trillium Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Connie G
Thank You for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Trillium Resort and Spa. To address some of your comments. After reading your review I did go up to the deck and agree that we should open the view up a little. We will mark some tees for removal. The freezer should work I will also look into that. The demand for Television is not very big and our Resort and Spa, however we are happy to provide a complimentary library of DVD’s. I have firmly passed on your spa concerns to our management company, who have since met and discussed concerns as well as taken steps to ensure our guests are getting high quality treatments. We were happy to compensate you accordingly. Again Thank you for you great comments regarding the food and staff.
We hope to host you again
Robert Henry.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed at the Trillium Resort and Spa this past weekend, and both me and my friend were very impressed.
We stayed in Lakeview 1 chalet and the only downside to this was that there are many stairs to get into the chalet which posed a bit of an issue for my friend who is currently walking with a cane. We managed quite well and the staff were very accomodating throughout the Resort.

Even though it rained the whole weekend, the weather broke enough that we were able to enjoy the hot tub, sauna, pool and beach. Best of all there were no kids since this is an adult only resort. The food was very enjoyable and the chef made a garlic butter sauce for my linguini that was the absolute best. The wait staff were very attentive and friendly. Over all I would highly recommend this resort for a quick or long getaway. We are already planning our trip there next year. This would be a great place to go to in winter or summer. They have a main lodge that is very comfortable for reading, playing games, or sitting quietly.

The spa was not really the best, it seemed that the ladies were not really enjoying their jobs, so next year we will not make the spa a highlight (most reservations come with a spa credit).

Dear My3 dragonflies
Thank You for all your Great comments. It was nice having both of you here and seeing you enjoy, regardless of the weather.
We have addressed the Spa points and have gotten much greater feedback over the last several days. We Look forward to hosting you again soon in Lakeview #2.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Sydney
Windermere House Resort & Hotel
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
#3 of 18 in Huntsville

Been to Trillium Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!