“Worst meal in 8 days”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
london
“Worst meal in 8 days”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I don't write negative reviews too often, but this was a truly dreadful experience and our worst meal out of more than 10 during our time in Lanzarote.

I was served a steak that was absolutely covered in fat. Not just marbling, but huge quantities around the meat too. I barely managed to cut through all the fat with the rubbish knife they gave me. It was covered with a truly awful sickly sweet mushroom sauce that was so thick and gloopy I can only imagine it was full of flour.

Maybe part of the problem was that I had accidentally ordered sirloin rather than flllet due to language problems for which I would hold my hands up to, but if the cut of meat can't take being cooked rare then it shouldn't be offered. What's more I didn't order it rare, I ordered it medium.

So did they take money off the bill, offer a free drink? Er, no. In fact I was lectured firstly about how everyone else who had the sauce hadn't complained and then a second time he actually returned to our table to further point out my mistakes in ordering the crap on my plate.

Maybe my mistake was in ordering something other than seafood/fish. Even so, the waiter's reaction was unbelievable. Perhaps it was a language gap thing, but even so...I thought we were about to come to blows at one point.

• Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Try this unassuming looking place!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

OK it doesn't look special from the outside, but so worth a visit. The waiters are incredibly helpful and friendly. One facilitated my first taste of "baby goat" (delicious) and several fish new to me. A real education. Coffee not so great but that seems standard in North Lanzarote.

• Visited March 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Went twice while on holiday. One was a long lazy lunch the other was a very pleasant evening meal. The staff were good the food was good the prices were reasonable

Farnham, Surrey
“Reliable seafood restaurant with a good wine list”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had lunch last week again at El Lago. We always visit during our stay in the island as it is a quality, reliable place for good seafood. The restaurant has sea views and a terrace. Parking is no problem in front of or alongside the restaurant.

The décor is now just a little faded but the owner and his staff are welcoming and knowledgeable - and the fish is always fresh. He always finds something new for us to try, this time an El Grifo Malvasia Collection dry white wine, only available in restaurants in sensible 50cl bottles, given the strict alcohol limit in the island (25 cf 80 mg/l in UK). Do try it if you like quality white wine!

Non fish eaters are catered for but seafood is the “reason d’ etre” of the place. A two course meal with wine and coffee for 2 will cost about €55 – depending on choice of fish.

• Visited January 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Surprise Meal August 2012”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

A friend in Costa Teguise booked us a table at El Lago as a suprise. When we arrived, we were greeted by Anas (who I later realised I had met earlier on the holiday and who was friendly even though I didn't know him). All the staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough to ensure our visit was enjoyable. We were seated on a table outside which had a fantastic view of the sea, also the area was very quiet and relaxed. The food was really nice - I had a three course meal of parma ham and melon, carbonara and a mix of deserts. Anas helped us decide on what to each and the chef even made the desert specially as it wasn't on the menu. We were looked after very well and I would definitely return again.
Oh, ask to see the lobsters!

• Visited August 2012