All reviewswonderful staffshort stayyoga teacher trainingbeautiful placevegetarianspadreamnatureaccommodationparadisebugspossibilitybalimealscontentchaosteas
Reviewed April 27, 2015

I brought a yoga group there and we were all really happy. Such a wonderful place - like Heaven on Earth (which "Shangrila" means...). The rooms are uncredibly beautiful. You rarely find such beautifully decorated places - with soo much love in really ALL THE DETAILS!!

And the Staff is so kind and heartful. I never saw something similar anywhere else. They are all really spiritual. We had the possibility to attend in a local fulmoon-ceremony in Bondalem's temple. The security man plays guitar and sings Mantras on the beach. The gardener is part of the local Gamelan orchester. And so on. The welcomed us with Young coconuts and a rain of flowers... We had a great farewell ceremony - which the staff gave us on our last day in Shangrila - with a flower mandala and mantra chanting and dancing... so gorgeous!

There is a beautiful Yoga-Temple (octagonal - as all the rooms / huts in Shangrila). And a nice pool under palms... And it's own Spa. You can go with the fishermen of the neighbourhood to a spectacular sunrise-dolphin-tour in the morning... we were blessed and saw nearly 100 dolphins that morning... (and even without dolphins it's absolutely worthwile).

For me Shangrila is really an Insider Tip. A place I recommend to everyone who goes to Bali. Also for individual trips it's highly recommendable!

And the food!! I forgot about the DELICIOUS food! It's vegetarian and sometimes there is fish. Such a variety and freshness. We LOVED the food!

In the sea in front of Shangrila you can go snorkeling.

There are three houses in front of the ocean. And more in the second raw. The oceanfront-houses are really beautiful! But you may need earplugs for sleeping (the ocean can be noisy...).

We were in Shangrila once with my family and this time with a yoga group. We loved both! And will surely come back.

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ellysunshine
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed in January 2011 for a week. Right by the ocean this resort is so well designed and such a beautiful environment. I found it so healing and the staff so caring and loving that I extended another couple of weeks!! In January it rains a lot, and there are very few guests, so I was thoroughly lavished with attention and wonderful guest activities including Balinese cooking classes, Balinese dancing lessons, some local chanting sessions and visits to nearby attractions. The sound of the roaring ocean at night in my exquisite cabin had the effect of calming my nerves and stress, and giving me new energy for life. Ilona and Don welcomed me into their hearts and home and their staff are truly exceptional. This place is special. What a blessing to spend time with authentic Balinese cultural traditions, language and nature in Bali.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tjikatu
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We have just spent 6 nights at this divine place. The perfect place to get away from our stressful lives.. Beautiful, perfection is all I can say. The rooms, gardens and setting are wonderful but what really makes this place so good is the wonderful staff. We just fell in love with them all
They are so giving and really want to make you happy. Talk to them as they will bend over backwards to cater to your wants and needs. The food is great too and the spa was truly bliss. Don't worry about a few bugs and the noise from the waves - all part of nature. We will be back. And let Eddie (not sure if the spelling is right) rearrange your schedule - he gets it right. And Dewi is a true healer, she is inspiring. Make the most of all the facilities and activities available. Loved the cooking and dance class and also going to the market and meeting some of the local people

Room Tip: As right on the sea may need some earplugs as waves can be loud, but do not let this put you off as this place is magic
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was so fortunate to spend 2 days and 2 nights at Bali ShangriLa Oceanside Retreat and Spa. I have experienced many great 5 Star resorts in my travels as a Travel Agent and an Entertainer, but this one truly outshined all the others. The beauty of the accomodations, where every detail was of the highest Aestetics and Beauty, the outstanding vegetarian or vegetarian with fish meals, the staff, who is of the most exquisite quality and energy, the spa in which one can enter heavenly states through the expert hands of the Balinese massage therapists, the beautiful temple, where there is Yoga and where the meetings take place, the walkways of lush flowers and plants, the ocean right in front for snorkelling and encounterring dolphins- simply everything had that most exquisite touch, that makes the stay into a transforming and unforgettable experience, one will treasure forever. Thank you everyone at ShangriLa , if there is a Heaven on Earth it for sure is here !!! I will return many more times!! Thank you Ilona and Don for making my stay so filled with love and beauty, that forever will be like a jewel in my heart!!!! I feel showered with the imperishable healing energy of Love!! See you soon again!!!

Room Tip: All the Balinese houses are great - I stayed in the one called " Krishna " right by the ocean absolutely gorgeuos !!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bettine C
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 wonderful days here our room right on beach front and very beautiful .did get hot with no air con.but do understand why not eco etc and the shower was cold for two mornings suggest shower heads like in spa my wife loved yoga with j dewi and also breakfast of special porridge. The staff are wonderful thank u all

• Stayed: June 2013