“Serene oasis”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bondalem
Shambala Oceanside Retreat
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Thank you Alona. Don, Dewi and everyone at Shangrila for a memorable stay. Rooms are beautiful, yoga is a great start to the day, meals are healthy and delicious. I love the bottomless ginger tea! Totally understand the no child policy as atmosphere is very serene. A little disappointed with cleanliness of beach however it's lovely going to sleep listening to the waves. We left feeling very healthy and relaxed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marn98
There are newer reviews for Shambala Oceanside Retreat

Reviewed April 10, 2012

After some recent challenging times I was looking for somewhere to reflect and recover in peace. Shangrila fulfilled every dream I have ever had of a true ‘retreat’ and my only sadness in writing this review is that I am not still there. I just returned from six nights in the Radha Oceanfront villa and I can’t praise my experience highly enough. Heaven and paradise are the two words that pop into my mind when I reflect on this place. Everything is perfect. The staff, from the moment of arrival are just delightful. They insist that each guest treats the resort like their home and they really mean it. I travelled alone and Shangrila was perfect for that. The staff were kind, discreet and exceptionally caring. The spa was also wonderful and I made the most of several treatments there. My room… well that almost leaves me speechless as it offered panoramic views of the ocean and I found myself transfixed by the beauty of the changing sea every day. The villa was furnished beautifully and was designed to catch the passing breezes. The bed was sensationally comfy and, as I had to do some work while I was there so the desk overlooking the fishing boats next door was perfect. That view was divine. The café was great and I loved the choices of vegetarian food (fish is available if you like it but the vegetarian options are delicious). My favourite meals were the Nasi Campur (accompanied by yummy coconut vegies) and the Shangila crepes with curry. The juices are really delicious and inexpensive. Apart from a short walk to the village, I didn’t leave the resort and 24 hours into my stay I felt every stress and worry drift away. Shangrila truly is a retreat. It offers a peaceful time in a stunning location and there is simply nothing better than that, anywhere. I will dream about Bali Shangrila until I return.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Kbel3
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My experience with ShangriLa was a dream from start to finish. I was picked up from Kuta by a lovely driver who made the drive to the quieter north shore a pleasure and was very informative.
I was welcomed by beautiful staff on arrival with flowers and made to feel right at home. The staff are all very friendly and did everything they could to help me with sight seeing, charging my phone, suggestions on what to do and what not to do. As a solo traveler being treated as a friend rather than a customer really made all the difference to my stay.
There are many things to do but I personally enjoyed the magnificent day spa where I was pampered and left feeling like I was floating on air. I went on a beautiful morning boat ride with a local fisherman to visit the dolphins and also a short trip to an incredible waterfall close by. There is a temple and lots of places to meditate and relax, inside the amazingly decorated rooms in which i felt like a princess, or outside in the gorgeous gardens.
Oh and don't forget to borrow a snorkel and see the colorful underwater world just off shore!
My four days at ShangriLa will stay with me forever. I made wonderful friends and left feeling lighter and radiating love. It is a magical place, magnificent in every way xx

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Fioenixd
Reviewed March 4, 2012

It was a dream.
My bungalow Radha was lovingly and beautifully furnished, the view over the sea from my balcony I'll never forget.
In front of my bungalow, was a beautiful clean beach.
The clean ocean was wonderful for swimming and snorkelling and invited to a beautiful colorful underwater world.
The staff was always very loving.
Food was fresh and delicious every day.
The massage was heaven on earth, so relaxing and to avery good price.
Yoga hours were perfect.
I will come back in any case!
Thank you for everything!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2012

we spent 2 nights in Pura Kecil room,
the location was great, overlooking the sea.
But the cleanliness was poor, with ants in the bedroom and bathroom.
Take care, bring your mosquito repellent because the architecture of the room lets in mosquitoes.
If you like playing tennis, in the room you will find an electric mosquito racket, have fun....
Breakfast was basic and the dinner wasn't at buffet but à la carte with limited choice of courses.
The owner was not present and the staff not so friendly and helpfull.
We had a good yoga lesson in the morning with a teacher from outside, also snorkeling just in front the hotel was not bad.
I suggest to stay in the villas in front of the sea, because if you stay in the ones on the back you can hear dogs barkling or the noise of pigs coming from outside.
We discovered the second day a great villa just next to the ShangriLa, with yoga lessons, very clean, we had dinner there, much better. Prices affordable. If we come back to the north of bali we'll go there, it's called Prana Veda.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank marco-milano74
ILoveMassage, Owner at Shambala Oceanside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

I find this particular review quite shocking. To think of any of our rooms as not clean is a far cry from reality. Ants do crawl around abundantly in Bali, and short of toxifying the entire grounds it is impossible to eliminate these harmless police of nature.

We are living in the tropics after all. It is true that we do not try to "protect" people from mosquitoes. We don't really have many mosquitoes most of the year.

The architecture is very beautiful, and the hand carved wood that frame all our windows and doors are designed to let the air in, as to allow for air circulation so necessary in the tropics. We invite everyone to take a look at our videos for each of our rooms at ShangriLa.

Most Hotel rooms that offer AC are moldy in Bali, not so in ShangriLa. We really don't need AC here. Fans are quite sufficient, if one feels the need for a breeze.
We have dry, airy rooms that feature beautiful mosquito nets on all beds! Beautiful to the eye and practical at night.

In Kuta, most hotels have a person with a gas powered fogger go through the resort 2-3 times per week and spray DDT throughout the entire place. YES that is true. If the guests only knew that, maybe they would prefer more Wellness oriented places to stay.

Since we operate holistically whenever possible, by using organic soaps for laundry, composting, not using toxic pesticides or herbicides, etc. we offer other solutions such as the free use of electric mosquito rackets (while at our neighbor's retreat, the guests must purchase such amazing 'tennis racket like tool).

We also offer natural mosquito lotion for sale in our office. However we do not sell very much because for most of the year, mosquitoes are difficult to find at ShangriLa. Occasionally, depending on the season, they can become a nuisance, hence the rackets and tents. Most of our guests do not even close the mosquito tents at night and are not bothered at all, especially in the Ocean Front houses.

As to the comment about unfriendly service, I really had to wonder about this one. Since we get about 98% rave reviews, most in the form of Emails to our office or headquarters, we are surprised to read our staff was unfriendly.

Most every single guest has felt deeply touched by the care and love from our staff. Our staff is so friendly that many guests are at times (actually fairly often) moved to tears when they have to leave, because they rarely feel so much care. We love our guests and take them to heart
Our staff was heartbroken to hear of this comment about them. Bail people take these things to heart, especially here in the North, where tourism is still more of a family affair.

This kind of review is so out of style with what we hear day in and day out, that we wonder about the integrity of this review.

On the positive side, it is a well known fact that some "not so pleasant" reviews actually boost customer confidence in a business. This is because it is very difficult to believe in 100% positive reviews. Although we strive to treat everyone that comes to ShangriLa like they have arrived in Heaven on Earth, we realize that some people cannot be made to be happy, even in Heaven.

May all those people come to Shangrila who are ready to experience Heaven on Earth, with its artistic beauty, attention to details in design and decor, holistic wellness offers, vegetarian food, no alcohol, take time to let your soul rejuvenate.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

We never experienced before such a relaxing and peaceful place. Food is delicous, Staff is very friendly and helpfull, accomodation luxurous. Snorkeling and swimming in the Ocean lovely!
We went with the local fisherman´s boats looking or dophins in the early morning. We were very fortunate to see the dolphins for almost one hour playing around the boats. We also were very lucky to see whales! We visited the local pasar in the morning and made a daytrip to the ricefields and mountains. We also visited Less Waterall, which is a very spiritual place.
We enyoyed our stay at Shangrila very much. Also the massages were a treat!
Heaven on Earth. We will come back!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Our dream was to produce a world-class retreat for a guest list that included people from all around the world, for an immersion into a transformational way of living and being. To make our retreat dream come true, I was looking for something more than just a perfect venue, I needed an extraordinary environment, I needed staff that worked with heart and genuine love and care for each guest they encountered. I needed the whole package; venue, environment, setting and the pure heart of loving service in action.
Finding Shangri-La was like finding the missing piece I needed to make our dream come true.
From the moment I started interacting with Ilona, the owner of Shangri-La, I knew I had found such a place. Ilona responded to all my email queries with full sincerity, and an abundance of possibilities and offerings that allowed me to feel the beauty and magic that Shangri-La had in store for us. All my emails were responded to promptly, and with loving care and attention.
Even when we needed things beyond the scope of our initial requirements, all my requests were received with a deep sincerity and desire to meet our needs. And they were all met, beyond my expectations – and I have very high standards, so that says a lot!
By the time I arrived at Shangri-La, the whole team was ready and all efforts had been made to greet our guests and bring to life a warm, loving and caring environment.
The staff at Shangri-La are outstanding. They are an asset to any retreat organiser. The staff at Shangri-La made my job heavenly. Everything was on time. I never needed to repeat any request, the staff response was not only immediate but was also delivered with love and dedication. The staff really felt like an extension of our group and we all developed a lovely bond and a deep appreciation for their efforts in bringing such diligence, love and care into the group environment, which enabled our retreat work to unfold.
There are very few places in the world where such beauty, care and perfection exist in every aspect of the venue. At Shangri-La not only are the staff exceptional, so is the venue itself. The facilities at Shangri-La are perfect for a retreat setting. All the accommodation villas circumnavigate the temple. The temple is the main room where the group talks and activities were held. The temple is beautifully equipped with audio and visual equipment and also yoga and meditation props and cushions. The temple could not have more perfect in layout and fittings, it has everything you would need for a retreat group – no matter what the focus of the group is, be it; theory or movement.
There is a lovely on-site spa with an extensive list of treatments on offer – and all the therapists are very knowledgeable and nurturing. To have this on-site spa was invaluable in a week of intense personal growth work. Shangri-La even went out of their way to change the spa opening hours so that it corresponded with when it would be most needed by our retreat guests – this was above and beyond the call of duty and just goes to show the true hospitality of this exceptional venue.
Each accommodation villa is beautifully hand crafted Balinese workmanship. Each villa has it’s own bathroom, and is decorated and furnished with exotic textures, fabrics, fixtures and fittings. Everything is clean and spotless.
The food was freshly prepared everyday and was delicious. A beautiful and colourful variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and juices, salads and cooked meals were presented to us three times a day, each day. Even the meat-eaters in our group were astounded at the flavour of the vegetarian food and were surprised by how they were not missing eating meat! Rest assured you will not go hungry in this paradise venue!
Apart from our own retreat schedule and plans, the Shangri-La staff consistently went out of their way to add special touches to our scheduled group activities and events to make it even more enjoyable, beautiful and memorable. Whether it be the decorations, the music, singing, presenting us with special celebratory cakes and so many more things that truly leave you speechless. I cannot praise the Shangri-La venue and staff enough, this is a first class retreat venue and truly a very special place. I would recommend Shangri-La to every retreat organiser – you are assured of a magnificent experience and a successful retreat.

Room Tip: All the rooms and villas are beautiful in setting, design and furniture and fittings. They are all v...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank o b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bondalem
The Villas Tejakula
Bondalem Beach Club
#1 of 2 in Bondalem
Poinciana Oceanside Resort & Retreat Centre
Cili Emas Oceanside Resort

Been to Shambala Oceanside Retreat? Share your experiences!