“Unique and Rustic but Well Located” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mira Olas Pavones Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pavones
Mira Olas Pavones Cabins
You added Mira Olas Pavones Cabins to your Saves list
San Francisco, California
“Unique and Rustic but Well Located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights during Semana Santa. We payed $40/night for the deluxe jungle lodge cabin. It was a great experience, but we were ready to leave when we did. It's very rustic and pretty uncomfortable. The kitchen, loft and deck are totally open air. The bedroom and bath are screened in, and there's a mosquito net over the bed. The double bed is VERY small. My husband and I are super tall and could barely fit during the really hot nights, so he ended up sleep upstairs in the loft (what a guy!). It was difficult cooking/eating dinner in the cabin because the amount of bugs, bats, insects, etc that descended upon us and our food while cooking and eating. There isn't a comfortable place to sit...only 1 hammock or at the kitchen table. So not a lot of lounging comfortably during the day (especially when the hammock was in full sun). The kitchen is basic (mini fridge, camp stove), so don't expect to cook anything gourmet. But it was perfect for lunch and brekie. It is about a 10 minute walk from the main break and the grounds are beautiful. Wifi works when you sit close to her house. Lili was a great hostess...gave us some tips on surfing spots, was responsive when we reported a new bee hive, etc. And her dog is the sweetest. Pavones has limited lodging options (and eating, for that matter), so if you can hang with the rustic nature of Mira Olas, I recommend it. Just mentally prepare what to expect and you'll be fine.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

Very nice rooms in green garden filled with life, just a small walk from centre for affordable price!

Room Tip: Modernas are great!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JohanVerde
anaconda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

My 2010 trip to Pavones was my fourth, in as many years. As usual, I stayed at Mira Olas. Lili is a great host, often leaving apple bananas, a fresh mango or some other treat from the garden on the door knob while I'm away during the day. Accommodations are basic, but everything you need in this environment. The cabins are clean, quiet, comfortable and affordable. They're set in beautiful tropical gardens that host a myriad of birds; toucans, motmots, several species of hummingbirds, just to list a few. Birding is great here - sitting out on the deck with a cup of coffee, binoculars and a bird book is a perfect way to start the day. Being on the outskirts of town, on the edge of the forest, monkeys are also common visitors.
I really like the easy access from the cabins down to the Rio Claro. It's great to walk the trail down to the river at mid-day to swim, wash off the salt from a morning surf and escape the heat of the day.

Town, the surf and the cantina are only a 5 - 10 minute walk from the cabins, depending on how good the waves are, or how hungry you are. I don't mind the walk as I prefer being a bit removed from the center of Pavones for the reasons I've listed above - the wildlife, the quiet and the ambiance of Mira Olas.

I like it enough, that I've already made plans to return in 2011.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank sjgerdes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pavones
Castillo de Pavones
Rancho Burica
Rancho Burica
#3 of 12 in Golfito
5.0 of 5 stars 69 reviews

Been to Mira Olas Pavones Cabins? Share your experiences!