“36 people in one go”
Review of Dhu Varren Garden

Dhu Varren Garden
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Milltown
More attraction details
Owner description: Dhu Varren Garden provides all the elements of a botanical garden within 2.5acres. Two large landscaped glasshouses provide both subtropical and arid plant displays. Outdoors, landscaped palm and succulent gardens have been created. Alpines, water gardens, herb garden, fernery, yucca avenue and more provide variety. The garden is a wildlife haven for birds and insects. Trees, shrubs and bamboos provide contrast. The centre-piece of a Japanese garden is a koi carp pond with bridge and tea house. Raised decks with seating provide panoramic views of both the garden and the landscape beyond.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had a coach party of 36 not one under 50 and were welcomed to the Gardens with a smile and handshake from Laura who told us a little about the Garden before we were allowed to follow the paths that meandered through the shrubs, flowers and trees. If you needed to know a plants identity you ask Mark and one I asked about Laura sent a text to the Tour Leader to pass on.Everyone enjoyed the garden and hot houses, buying several plants when they left to go back to the coach.The only drawback we had was the entrance is on the main road so everyone had to be dropped off from the coach but you could not fault the gardens and the couple who look after them.

Laura C, Owner at Dhu Varren Garden, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Julie, it was lovely to have your group to the garden - they were refreshing! Glad they all enjoyed it. We are hoping to have a solution to the bus parking issue by next season, so watch this space.... Thank you for choosing to visit Dhu Varren Garden

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Once again we at Recovery Haven Cancer Support House wish to thank you for openning your incredible garden on behalf of our Visitors. The diversity and beauty of such a unique place has inspired so many people who came on the day. Many came just to support the house but left with the seed of wonder at this world of botanical joys firmly set. So many special areas - from the tropical house with its butterflies to the secret garden - wending through dessert & marsh, Arizonian rock canyan & Japanese tea-house - every one a gem. We firmly believe that any fund-raising we undertake should be primarily letting people do something they enjoy, from the feedback we recieved from everyone who attended, both avid gardeners and total non-gardeners, they were blown away. Thank you.

Barney, Marian et al.... you know Recovery Haven is a cause I feel strongly about and we are only too delighted to give something back... the fact that we raise much needed funds while people enjoy themselves is an added bonus. We hope to do it all again next August....

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I visited this garden last May, under tight time pressure with a better half who is a none gardener. To say that I was inspired is putting it mild.
The thought and planning in this garden is a credit to the owners. What shocked me was the short time the garden has been there, Whenever I'm in the area again it is a must see, Even the better half wants a return visit.
A garden well worth the visit, that will not disappoint, and so many areas of interest.
Finally the owners are more than willing to talk and chat about their little growing piece of haven,
Long may it bloom and grow

Fran, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife and we are glad you enjoyed the garden. Thanks for taking time to appraise on Trip Advisor. We look forward to your next visit and hopefully we will manage to have a few surprises...

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I must say I am surprised at and a bit suspicious of the first few reviews of this place. I visited recently and found it to be the worst garden I have ever visited. I felt cheated of the 12 euros my wife and I paid to go in there. However, the euros are not the issue here. It was a half day from my holiday driving there and trailing miserably around. Weeds and ailing plants are the order of the day. It appears the garden is planted in a bog with drains cut to take away the water. Not working. Hundreds of poorly placed, hungry plants struggling for light and room and contesting with rough grass. I am a gardener and was expecting more. The advertising and the posters outside were full of promise. In a word....Sad!

Laura C, Owner at Dhu Varren Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but we find this one very puzzling, bizarre, inaccurate and completely contrary to the postive opinions and genuine documented reviews by many renowned professional gardeners and garden designers both from Ireland and the UK. Jimi Blake of Huntingbrook Gardens described our garden as "one of the most exciting and fascinating new gardens in Ireland". Mr & Mrs O'Brien who own the renowned Knockpatrick Gardens in Limerick visited last week, and having visited gardens all their life commented "one of the most interesting & inspirational gardens ever visited. A wonderful achievement in a short time". An ex-student of the Botanic Gardens Dublin, Ms Greta McCarthy O'Brien has written "A glorious experience, how fantastic to find a mini Botanic Gardens in the midst of Kerry. A very impressive collection and display of species. Enjoyed it very much and will spread the word to all my garden enthusiasts". Charlie Wilkins, one of Ireland's foremost garden journalists, and many members of the garden forum Garden.ie highly recommend visiting our garden. These, and many more complimentary comments are to be viewed in our visitor book, written by visitors from all over the globe.

I refer to your specific comments and in particular the comment "suspicious of the first few reviews" Does the reviewer feel his is the only genuine review - I think this is being highly disingenuous to the other reviewers!

Regarding the comments "poorly placed, hungry plants", "planted in a bog" and "contesting with rough grass", I can only assume you are referring to a wetland, approximately 10% of the garden, that is specifically there to provide a wildlife habitat for amphibians, insects and birdlife which it does. You may not appreciate this concept, but many visitors do.

Our advertising accurately descibes the elements and features within the garden. Our first year of opening has been an enjoyable experience and we have met and enjoyed the company and positive feedback of many visitors. We look forward to doing so for many years to come.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Anyone interested in rare and unusual plants who find themselves in Kerry should make visiting Laura and Mark's garden a priority. There is a mind bogling range of plants to be seen planted whether in one of the glasshouses or enjoying the Kerry rainfall. Mark in particular is a master plantsman and his passion for plants shines out in every border. I have travelled over from England on several occasions just to see how the garden has been developing over the last few years and it just gets better and better!