“really good value for money”
Review of King Wok

King Wok
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Theale
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Newbury, United Kingdom
“really good value for money”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went on a sat night for our second visit and still think this is a really good spot.
Firstly this is not gourmet chinese eating but what it is is really good value for money, £60 for a la carte 2 starters (excellent chlli salt squid) mongolian lamb, 3 mains with rice and noodles plus 3 glasses of wine and 2 beers oh and 10% service ( bit cheeky).
Food as good as anywere service not overly attentive and a little slow but not terrible.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank cymanic

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was surprisingly good, very nice place to eat”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My friends and I decided that we wanted a Chinese on a Friday afternoon so that night we were thinking of a place to go, I suggested this place and we all had a great time it was very good

1 Thank Niallishus
Oxfordshire
“Understated little gem”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This review is written based on the experience I had on my visit.

I visited a friend in theale on Friday evening 28th September and rather than her cooking, we went to King Wok, what a lovely little gem, the interior is very minimalist, but nice, chairs all covered in lovely fabric chair covers that made it more homely. The restaurant was not overly busy but filled up during the evening, the menu is fairly varied and lots of lovely dishes to try, and not overly expensive. We both had a starter and main course, the service was reasonably quick and the waitress very pleasant, we did not wait more than 10 mins for our starters to arrive, and they put both of our starters on one plate in the middle of the table and a plate each so we could just pick from the starters, nice touch, the starters very good, spare ribs in chilli and garlic, and spicy chicken in batter with a chili sauce, portion wise it was just right.

Main courses, did not take long to come once the starters had been cleared, again hot and a good sized portion, we had King prawns in Ginger and spices with bean sprouts, served on a sizzling iron, and crispy chilly beef, in a chilli sweet sauce, both dishes very tasty, nice size portions, along with the rice we ordered, was enough.

For the 2 of us including drinks we paid £40.00 this included a service charge, I didn’t leave a tip as they included the service in the bill, the only thing I didn’t like, I like to reward if I have good service, however, We enjoyed our evening and I look forward to be able to visit again in the not too distant future.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Peter K
Reading, United Kingdom
“Never had a bad meal here”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here dozens of times and never had a bad meal yet. The food is always freshly cooked and of a high standard. The staff are friendly and the restaurant and washrooms always spotlessly clean.

One criticism I would have is that the restaurant lacks ambience. After the serious renovation work in the last couple of years it has been modernised and looks good, but could do with a little more colour and some finishing touches. The lighting is quite bright and I don't think they have any background music anymore so if can be a bit quiet if it is a slow evening.

Overall, for food and friendliness I would definitely recommend King Wok, both for dining in or take always.

1 Thank cityt0urist
Reading, United Kingdom
“Eat in or take away”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

It doesn't matter which, the food is excellent. The restaurant is a bit minimalist, but you are there for the food.

2 Thank brian0