“About the best that Calvinia has to offer ....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calvinia
Die Blou Nartjie Guest House
Ranked #4 of 10 Calvinia B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I rode around Calvinia quite a bit, either driving past or popping in at a number of B & B's that were sign-posted. Most reflected the harshness of the Karoo region .... Stark, dry and unwelcoming. The Blou Nartjie stood out from the rest. Rooms are standard, clean, with TV and all the small necessities (coffee, tea, sugar and basic toiletries). No aircon, hairdryers or luxuries. But I'd stay there again if I ever find myself that way again ....

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed November 26, 2012

After a long drive from Cape Town and the check in at a b/b we were directed to Die Blou Nartje for dinner. Despite no booking we were quickly seated and despite being the only waiter - also when all the table were filled (on a Monday!!) - we had our starters and karoo lamb (and one fish) served without delays. The restaurant is full of rustic charm, high celinged and a cosy bar.

South Africa's hinterland has many pleasant surprises, this was one of them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PBChristiansen
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I expected more. There are lovely gardens but the room is basic as in formula one style hotels. Lovey breakfast. The beds are firm but you feel cramped with a shower in your room and a motel feel. Be nice if the decor was better and there was a separate bathroom. There should be some basic lounge for all guests. Otherwise friendly manager. The room was noisy from the guests and lights outside entered our door all night.

Look around, maybe there is better value with an airy hotel feel instead.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

When entering Calvinia, after hours of driving with a lot of roadworks, I was not too impressed with the supply of accommodation in this little town. When I nearly exited town I saw something up to my standards, getting out my vehicle something else struck my eye, an old building, but modernly styled, 2 streets away and yes, it's a guesthouse! The reception area was brilliant, paperwork everywhere, it could have been my desk! Room, breakfast included for a right price, dinner was also possible. Wow! I'm going nowhere.

Dinners are also available for the public, there's a catch. With a full house, they simply have not enough tables for own guests and public. The concept of guesthouse and restaurant is good, though catering for own guests needs attentention, so they don't have to queue. Food was great, though!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I read all the reviews and were a bit dubious when one of the reviews were not so good. Well, were we very surprised. The accommodation was very pleasant.....all we ever needed for an overnight stay. Clean sheets, coffee, tea and wonderful setting. We booked to have dinner in the restaurant. What fantastic steaks. Well done to the chef as well as the waitress who did an excellent job with the restaurant being totally full. The breakfast was just as tasty. We recommend this establishment to anyone, and what's more.....it was the cheapest rate in the 2 weeks we spent looking at the flowers. Thank you Blue Naartjie.
Garth & Noelene Slatem

Room Tip: All of them are the same.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed over for one night. The welcome was warm and friendly. The room was quite adequate for one night. We were provided with an excellent breakfast the following morning after a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ExplorerZA2602
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We spent 2 nights in a twin room at Blou Nartjie. The room was comfortable with all the basic necessities, including tea/ coffee making facility and soap and fresh towels each morning. The beds were comfortable and warm in the cold Karoo nights ( it went down to -3 degrees ) with the air conditioner providing extra heating to warm the room before getting up. Our room (Room 2) had a separate toilet, but the shower opened into the bedroom, so might not be ideal for someone wanting more privacy, but there was plenty of hot water.The staff were extremely hospitable. Breakfast was basic but tasty , while the dinners of bobotie and lamb pie from the restuarant were superb and excellent value for money. The town of Calvinia is welcoming and a lovely place for a quiet relaxing break- previously we have only overnighted there on our way through, but it is worth a 'get away from it all' visit. At the price ( R250 pppn b&b) this B&B represented great value for money and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family