“Unique and Amazing”
Review of Casa Gregorio

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castro dei Volsci
Casa Gregorio
Reviewed April 14, 2013

When my wife planned our Italian vacation I knew it would be interesting but never imaged it would be unique and amazing. Gregory has managed to combine his talents as a former travel agent, successful interior designer, bilingual (Italo-American) and love of Italian cuisine with his vision of an exquisite hill top villa in the town of his ancestors and relatives.
We laughed, we cooked, we ate and we learned about the culture of this fabulous village (Castro dei Volsci) and surrounding region. We explored Italian cuisine from the farm to the dinner table.
So, when your wife or significant other says "let's go to cooking school at Casa Gregorio"... just say yes. Don't miss out on this unique and amazing experience.
You might be like me and rather eat than cook! Well...I'm planning on making fettuccine for the family this weekend.... I'll let you know how it goes!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter D
There are newer reviews for Casa Gregorio

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my first trip to Italy, scoring a Groupon to Casa Gregorio was a perfect beginning to what I know is the first of many Italian adventures for me. There were 13 of us from all over the U.S. and I couldn’t have asked for a nicer group of women (and two couples) with which to spend my culinary vacation. Casa Gregorio sits on top of a mountain in a picturesque village, with spectacular views out every window and from the lovely patio. Gregory was the ultimate host – welcoming, engaging and informative. Every day we would take a half day tour (and lovely lunch): the olive harvest at a local orchard, a prosciutto factory and country store, farms where we viewed sausage making and cheese making, a farmer’s market and a winery, bringing back local ingredients to incorporate into our feast for the evening. After returning to the Casa and a short respite, we would embark on a cooking lesson, preparing some portion of the dinner that night. The wine flowed amid much laughter and somehow with the skilled hands of Justino, Gregory, Stephania and Alejandra guiding us while simultaneously preparing the rest of the meal, we successfully completed our tasks which enhanced our enjoyment of the sumptuous, varied and flavorful feasts we enjoyed each night around Gregory’s friendly dinner table. A couple of caveats: leave your diets at home – this is a culinary vacation – enjoy everything! Gregory is building a gym, but really, taking a brisk walk in the early morning down the mountain and back is a spectacular way to experience the beauty of Castro del Volsci, observe village life and interact with the residents and get your cardio workout! Be prepared to negotiate a lot of stairs – if this is a challenge for you, pick another vacation spot. That said, this was, hands down, the best vacation I’ve ever had! This experience is perfect for single women, girlfriends and couples.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A girlfriend & I spent a week at Casa Gregorio in October. We purchased our vacation package through a groupon offer %50 off the regular package price.

Overall our vacation with Gregory and his staff was exceptional! Gregory is a gracious and kind host. I cannot imagine letting a bunch of strangers into my home weekly and still being an enjoyable person. Gregory never says a mean word about anyone, but the dude has a wicked sense of humor if you listen closely. I'd like nothing better than to get him liquored up and listen to gossip about past guests.

The Villa could not be placed in a more picturesque village. Literally every time you turn around you see another post card view. The Villa itself is beautiful, comfortable, and a really nice combination of Ikea purchases and antique finds. Each room is decorated in a unique style and it's worth a visit to the other bedrooms.

The food is of course the main draw and the cooking school experience is really quite a hoot. I quickly learned that the quickest way to a smiling room was to ask Alejandra for some wine. Once that started flowing laughter followed and a group of strangers rapidly became a group of friends, and frienmies... the best of all worlds. I was quite lucky to love half the group and absolutely HATE the other half. It made for wonderful conversation and gossip!

The guest chef Justino was personable, and put on quite a show while also offering excellent instruction. I didn't pay too close attention and was happy to receive a cook book with all the recipes so I've been happily cooking my way through and remembering the wine soaked evenings. Each meal was spectacular and the kitchen staff who cleaned around us, and actually did the cooking are to be commended.

The outings were hit and miss for me. Each one had a focus on food. My favorites were to the farmer's market, the cheese outing, the sausage factory, and the prosciutto shop. By the end I'd stopped going on the outings and enjoyed wine and reading on the gorgeous balconies back at Casa Gregorio. Gregory did say he is looking to expand the Villa offering small private casitas and those guests will be able to pick and choose their experience. That sounds brilliant to me. I like a nice balance between excitement and relaxation.

I've recommended Casa Gregorio to multiple friends and would like to return to the casitas if they ever become a reality.

Much Love to everyone and the Sausage and Peppers recipe is my new go-to for group entertaining smash!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank geminijen77
Reviewed January 5, 2013

An overstatement? NO. Casa Gregorio is in the center of the authentic Italian countryside..
A beautiful villa to suit the taste of experienced travelers, exciting and fun cooking classes, tours of the breathtaking countryside, delicious Italian cuisine...and wine, on a mountaintop in a village lined with cobblestones and ancient arched pathways....trips to wine and olive vineyards, a Mediterranean coastal city, all transportation provided....seriously Gregory realy knows how to entertain and make his guest fell pampered. An this is really a trip for anyone of any age. We enjoyed meeting the other guests and everyone was friendly. I will return! I am a painter and i found time to steel away for some quick outdoor painting....truly spectacular vacation. And we never saw ANY tourists for 7 days!...Do not go here if you are looking to mingle with hoards of tourists! Thanks you Gregory for this window to your Italian paradise!

Room Tip: Great rooms but you wont want to stay in your room while in this charming little village!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jppadgett
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was the BEST week ever. The accommodations, the food, the cooking classes, the other vacationers, the staff was wonderful. My daughter and I had a great time. And the best way to discover Italian cooking is to have hands on. Everything we made, we had for that days dinner - from pasta to meats and vegetables to main courses and desserts. There was never a dull moment in the kitchen. Would do it all over again.

Room Tip: The rooms are on a first come, first served basis according to when you book the trip. If you are t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joni R
Reviewed December 23, 2012

It is hard to decide where to start this review - The entire experience was wonderful. Gregory was a wonderful host (despite having something akin to the flu when we arrived) the property is gorgeous, the classes were great and the tour locations were both informative and entertaining. The only complaint is that we came back weighing somewhat more than when we arrived.

We booked our trip for the last week of the season and while the weather was rainy and the temperatures were quite cold we had a wonderful time. Usually, we come away from these types of trips with dozens of ideas as to how we would improve the experience, but in this case there is nothing I would do differently. The trip very much exceeded our high expectations.

A good sign is that we have been back for two weeks and our friends and neighbors are now avoiding us because they are tired of hearing us talk about how wonderful the experience was ;-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I really don't know how to put into words the experience of the last week. The "Roman Countryside" our group experienced had a peacefulness about it that I have never felt before. The whole journey happened with just the right mix of tours, classes and down time. I was so relaxed the whole week. In all my travels, I have never received such individualized service. Gregory and his wonderful staff make each minute so fun and comfortable. I felt like I finally experienced the authentic Italy that I had hoped for. We had lunch with the owner of the olive oil company. He was so gracious to answer all our questions and his mother's strudel was melt in your mouth delightful. Another highlight was having Thanksgiving lunch at the winery where every bite made you sigh with joy.
Gregory was on hand at every turn to explain things and show us some of his personal favorite shopping spots. I will be forever grateful to Gregory for convincing me to try on the brown spectator pumps in the window. I also really enjoyed being able to shop at a grocery store so I could bring home some of my favorite tastes to share.
The cooking classes with Guistino, Pasquelina, Anna and crew were run like a well oiled machine. They are so organized that all the guests have to do is enjoy learning the wide variety of dishes and techniques being taught. The staff is patient and funny and our group laughed our way through most of the classes.
This was trip I will enjoy remembering and talking about forever.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Agriturismo Il Ruspante
Agriturismo Il Ruspante
#1 of 2 in Castro dei Volsci
Nena al Borgo Castello

Been to Casa Gregorio? Share your experiences!