All reviewscooking schoolitalian countrysidethe kitchenother guestsprosciuttoat homeolive oilcooking classpizzaattention to detailculinary experiencefirst classwonderful experiencegreat groupbucket listcooking vacationlocal restaurants
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The statement above is the only way I can sum this up. My stay at Casa Gregorio was amazing! Being a single traveler who had never been outside the US before, I was a little nervous of the trip at first. All of that hesitation was gone from the first moment I saw where I would be staying. From the moment I got out of the car, the view left me speechless. Also, from day one at Castro Gregorio I was treated like family instead of a customer/hotel guest. The food was delicious and our cooking lessons were all taught by some of the nicesest people I've ever met.

Finally, with all the locations that we went to, I was loaded down with so much stuff I contemplated leaving clothes behind to fit all of it in my suitcase. I just want to say thank you to Gregory and his whole staff for a vacation I will never forget. Everyone has to give Casa Gregorio a try, and that includes my fellow single travelers out there. 5 stars hands down!

P.S. Shout out to the fantastic couple that shared the vacation with me. You two made my fantastic trip 100 times better!

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank A_Blessing1234
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We just completed a 3 day two night stay at Casa Gregorio and what a fantastic experience it was. The owner Gregory, and staff of Analese, and a couple of others, we're just awesome. The hotel, or B & B, is an old 17th century home that Greg bought, and completely redesigned and remodeled. It is now just the most wonderful, relaxing and charming places we have ever stayed at in Italy. Greg is also hosting a cooking school, which my brother in law attended one day, and said it was one of the most fun and educational experiences he had in our week trip through Italy. We all can't wait to go back. Highly recommended!!!!

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed April 9, 2012

There's a selfish part of me that almost doesn't want to share this rare and beautiful jewel with you. To do so would rob Gregory (the owner) of the accolades he deserves for transforming an aging house of nobility into a richly appointed B&B that offers a one-of-a-kind authentic, cultural and culinary experience. My husband and I enjoyed a 6-night stay to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and every aspect of this milestone journey was beyond our expectations - the absolute ultimate in romance. Not only did we fall in love all over again, but we also developed a passion for the locals, the food, the breathtaking mountainous countryside, and the traditions of Italian culture. Let's break this love affair down, shall we?

The Village of Castro dei Volsci: It was love at first sight with the old world charm of this medieval village. I've been fortunate enough to have traveled the world over, and I can honestly say that no other place has captured my heart quite like this. Storybook cobblestone pathways to lead you to one visual treasure after another, with it's flowerbox windows, its steep stairways that beckon you to discover what lies at the top, the ancient stonework that seems to whisper to you across the centuries, or the local villager who appears out of a window to hang some laundry and reciprocate a friendly "Buongiourno". With no other tourists to bump into, we selfishly indulged ourselves in the tranquil setting and let our imaginations run uninterrupted as we contemplated life in this village from one generation to the next.

The Culinary Experience: As full-time working parents of two young children, cooking at home tends to be quick and convenient and can leave a lot to be desired, so when we stepped into Casa Gregorio's beautiful kitchen, we looked forward to taking our time to prepare slow food the old-fashioned way and under the supervision of those who do it best: the Italian mothers and grandmothers. The homemade recipes we learned to prepare (over a glass of wine, great music, and lots of laughter) are easy enough to replicate back home in our own kitchen. And each time we prepare the dishes that we learned, we will forever be reminded of the ambiance we shared with the locals who lovingly lent us their expertise.

The Tours: To me, travel is all about discovering something new and developing cross-cultural connections. Each day, Gregory gave us just that by escorting us to local artisans who demonstrated the art of making cheese, sausage, olive oil, and wine. We sampled the most delicious foods at their finest and made the way nature intended: organically and on small farm scale. The locals put their heart and soul into making the freshest, finest products, and they were proud to share their process and philosophy behind it.

The B&B: Casa Gregorio is a stunning representation of entrepreneurial spirit. It's incredible what Gregory has done with this ages-old palazzo. Elegantly appointed in every room and expertly designed with comfort and class in mind, this B&B was a gorgeous place to call home for the week. The outdoor terrace was a pleasure for the senses with its spectacular view of the mountains and the valley below, the fresh, unpolluted air, the gong of the church bell, the sound of the bullet train on its way to Naples, and the warmth of the Italian sunshine. Every day the vast expanse of beauty seemed to transform itself into something new to behold with its lazy haze or dense fog to its brilliant sunbeams reaching down through the clouds.

The Owner Himself: Gregory is everything you could hope for in a host. Gracious, accommodating, knowledgeable, friendly, fun…..these are just a few words that narrowly capture a man who has a brilliant vision of bringing guests to this little haven of heaven on a hillside. We consider ourselves truly blessed to have had this unique experience and to be treated like guests in his home instead of just a couple of tourists who merely see Italy from a tour bus window.

So, the secret is out. Discover for yourself why Casa Gregorio and Castro dei Volsci give affectionate (and delicious, I might add!) meaning to the phrase "La Vita e Bella".

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Annemeredith
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed in Casa Gregorio for one night in our way to Amalfi Coast and just fell in love with this place. Imagine small medieval Italian town on the top of the hill, old palazzo, restored with great taste, care and attention for every detail - candles, cozy sofas, big terrace with view over the valley, 5 guest rooms, each with spacious modern bathroom, and super comfortable beds - soft and inviting. There is a small charming pizzeria in the basement, open in the weekends and cooking lessons from April to October.
It was so amazing that we canceled our last night in Amalfi and came back to Gregorio. What can I say more?...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lena P
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My husband, daughter and I have been planning our dream vacation to Italy for years. Upon arrival we were whisked away in luxury transportation to our castle in the sky-Casa Gregorio! What a dream come true! Hospitality, scenery and the delicious food was above and beyond. Greg, sophisticated, charming and above all down to earth was incredibly accommodating to all our needs. When I walked into my bathroom suite and saw the jacuzzi tub, I thought what a nice welcome and way to relax after a long flight overseas. Our week was over before we knew it and all we could think about was going back and reliving our fabulous week all over again. Thank you Greg, Grazie Mille to the staff!! Tony, Christina and Nicole

Room Tip: Luxury rooms and amenities beyond belief!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family