“Warm welcome”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barfleur
Hotel le Conquerant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barfleur
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Our second visit in as many years and the homely atmosphere is inspiring. The hosts are very welcoming, giving that personal touch, nothing is too much trouble. Wonderful building and gardens, formerly, I believe, a rich merchants house. Large, clean, comfortable rooms. Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jedijacka
There are newer reviews for Hotel le Conquerant

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at Le Conquerant for 3 nights recently in May. The property is magnificent! The friendly owners, Pierre and Catherine, were delightful. They were so pleasant and helpful from the moment that we checked in. They gave us great advice about local eating and things to visit. The room overlooking both the street and the incredible garden was large and comfortable. The shower was excellent. Breakfast is one of 4 choices and perfect for every need. Excellent location in the center of the small fishing town of Barfleur. No wifi or elevator. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Get a room looking out on the garden! Talk to Pierre and Catherine about things to see and do in an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger M
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here with a friend in August 2012 and was very impressed. Our garden view room was large and comfortable, and the shower was amazing. The hotel was close to the "center" of the small town, so it was easy to get dinner and beer at one of the local pubs. Our whole experience in Barfleur was relaxing and enjoyable. I would highly recommend this hotel if you plan on doing a drive up to this region to see the Normandy beaches, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel (the only hotel in town) is an historic building with a beautiful, large, walled garden. Our spacious room had a view of this garden and we could just see the port beyond. The furnishings are fairly simple and there is no wifi but there is a lot of charm and there are some nice touches - we were allowed to hang a little washing to dry in a discreet corner of the garden! The breakfast (good croissants and home-made jam) can be eaten in the garden on warm days. The town is a picturesque fishing port and makes an excellent base for exploring the Cotentin peninsula. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oldbirder
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights on a B+B basis. It was very clean and well maintained. The landlord was very helpful and took all are luggage up to our room. It was large and roomy and had a great shower. The pictures and detail impressed me. He made sure I understood how the tv worked so I could watch the Euro football in the evening. The breakfast in the morning was very good and the coffee tasted great. I hope to visit the area again next year and I will make this my first stop.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Riding back towards Cherbourg, getting absolutely drenched yet once again, I really only wanted to get onto the ferry and get home; however we had one last night to go and so my expectations were high. To be fair, nowhere looks appealing in the rain, much less so a port town built of dark stone, and I was wet and tired so perhaps not in the best of moods.

However, the room was of generous size, separate loo always appreciated and large bathroom - everything was very clean, absolutely no question about that, so things looked up. Then I was disappointed that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, the radiators could not be turned on - it is my belief that the temperature should regulate and not the time of year - probably the wettest, coldest June on record.

I suppose after very warm, accommodating reception elsewhere on our travels, this place just felt very cold and dispassionate. Sunshine would have helped.

Room Tip: We could have paid an extra 20 euros for a garden view; I don't know if that would have been wor...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karin J
Pierre D, Propriétaire at Hotel le Conquerant, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

I thank Karin for the compliments on the cleanliness of the room and comfort of the bathroom.
Tea, coffee and other hot and cold drinks are served in the hotel lounge. We also offer tastings of local products.
It was the first time that Karin saw Barfleur ; it was after a long trip on a motorbike and under the rain. So she "was so wet and tired perhaps not in the best of moods."
May be a next time, with the sun, and I'm sure her opinion will be less negative.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

It was our last night in France, we were on a motorbike and it had rained, rained, rained...

I guess if it had been sunny and our room overlooked the pleasant gardens it would have been better but the room, though of reasonable standard looked out on to the street. It was simple with little charm or warmth and no view. The curtains had to be drawn to ensure any privacy.

As we rode up someone was smoking out of the front window (next to our room)

Although June we were cold and wet, the heating was off and we had no means to dry our gear. This was the first time in 10 days that we faced the prospect of a wet start.

The staff were businesslike but not really friendly or engaging. There was no mobile reception and no WiFi. It is a quiet village which probably makes sense when the sun shines.

There are a range of chargeable breakfast options but it was hardly inspiring.

I guess the point for me is that when compared to out earlier experience at the Ibis in Perigueux ( http://bit.ly/Nq43C6 ) this hotel left me feeling barely welcomed and more than a little short-changed.

On a positive the owner did give us 8 bin bags to put our feet in for the journey back and he relinquished the charge for leaving the bike outside in his drive.

Room Tip: Don't expect a garden view at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B
Pierre D, Propriétaire at Hotel le Conquerant, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Andrew is not negative and Andrew is right : "it had rained, rained, rained and if it had been sunny it would have been better". That is true that the rooms overlooking the garden are more enjoyable.
It is true that we propose 4 different menus for the breakfast with different options and that we offered the parking for the bike.
So I hope Andrew will come back in Barfleur a sunny day, booking a room on our pleasant garden. And, of course, I will offer again the parking for his bike ...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barfleur
Au Moyne de Saire
Hotel Ambassadeur
Hotel Ambassadeur
#4 of 26 in Cherbourg-Octeville
Logis Grand Hotel du Louvre

Been to Hotel le Conquerant? Share your experiences!