“Gorgeous Wedding Venue, but thats about it”

Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cherry Valley
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We just spent the day there on Friday April 20th for an amazing wedding held under the 1100 year old Oak Tree. What a gorgeous venue. The grounds are stunning and the staff was very friendly, and available at all times, but yet were discreetly not around... in a good way. A few suggestions? Wear flat shoes. The grounds are very uneven because you are in true natural spaces, so ladies leave the heels at home or bring a purse big enough to secretly change into some flip flops. And bring an umbrella, the guests sat in the open sun, while bridal party was under the shade of the tree. We weren't in shade until the reception, held under a gorgeous line of olive trees, all lit up, with one side opening up to lavender fields.
So romantic

I wish we would've had an opportunity to really explore the grounds because there seemed to be lots of options of things to look at, however based on what I saw, I believe the buildings needed upgrading desperately.

Be aware that the use of the RESORT, is used very loosely. This is not a resort but seemed more like a camp ground. I wouldn't choose to stay here but for the wedding services, great choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank clavautoo

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I took my husband here for a Valentines day weekend and was sadly a bit disappointing. I'll start with the good. The food/restaurant is EXCELLENT! Very tasty, interesting lavender infusions and very vintage atmosphere. Beautiful views. The bar was also very neat. The decor was of the history of the place and very fun and pleasant. I wish it would have carried over into the accommodations. When we got into our room, somebody had just left because nothing had been clean. Bed sheets were still slept in. When we finally did get a "clean" room, The room had no TV, it was very stale smelling and was reminiscent of a hostel I stayed at in France. The "king" bed was simply two twins pushed together with a bottom sheet thrown on top to keep them together. This of course didn't happen, because on the slick floor as soon as my husband rolled over to make a move the two twins slid apart and he was headed for the floor (great entertainment however). The grounds are in gross need of remodeling. The pool area needs to be completely redone, and the grounds are in disrepair. I felt as though I was in the twilight zone. This place has so much potential if only someone would invest in some remodeling and staff.

Room Tip: get one at morongo
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank gnatB
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Despite what it sounds like below, I do recommend this place due to it's location and the beautiful grounds.

My wife and I stayed here for the second time last weekend. Last year we stayed there the weekend after the Annual Lavender Festival and we had a fantastic weekend. We strolled around the grounds anywhere we liked and we were practically the only ones there. This year we came during the Lavender Festival and it wasn't as relaxing for the most part.

On both visits we had trouble with our reservations since we used the reservation system on their web page. The first time we stayed there someone was already in our room and we found out when saw their stuff in the room when we opened the door, with a key (now they have key cards like other hotels). Luckily they were not in the room at the time. When we went back and told the front desk, we were upgraded to a nicer room in the 800s facing the lavender field at no extra charge. Last weekend, we arrived and were told there was a problem and then that "a pipe in our room had burst" after the front desk person had a consultation with the hotel President. We had to downgrade to the 700s, with the lower rate that came with the room.

CALL FOR RESERVATIONS IF YOU WANT TO BE GUARANTEED A ROOM WHEN YOU ARRIVE!!

With that said, this last visit they gave us 2 coupons for admission to the festival (which we didn't need), a coupon for 2 free lavender flavored drinks at the festival (which we did use and saved about $7) and a gift certificate to the onsite restaurant that almost covered the cost of dinner. The food at the restaurant was good however it was a long wait to get it. Probably due to it being the weekend of the festival and the place was packed. Even with a reservation we had to wait for a table. Also the chairs at our table were very uncomfortable. There were other chairs that looked like they were not as bad.

The grounds are what makes this place worth it. They have open spaces, shaded grassy areas, a few ponds and lavender fields you can roam around like you own the place. There is a long lane lined with olive trees that was the entrance at one point several decades ago. It's very quiet and peaceful.

Now that we know to call for reservations, we feel better about going back to stay here. It will be on a weekend when the festival is not going on. We will drive out for the day to attend the Festival.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lavender fields.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pgvet1
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had rooms in the "700" area and our room was very large and nice. You can tell they are still working on renovations as the main part of the room was updated but the bathroom still needed work.
I would say this is more of a retreat than resort because what you think of being in the rooms of a resort. We had no coffee maker, no drink glasses, no ice, etc.
I will say that the grounds are lovely even with it being the end of summer. We did not have a chance to visit the restaurant, a little spendy for my budget but it sounded and smelled wonderful.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I would try for the rooms in the "700" area.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KlondikeKitty
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We perchased a two night get-a-way for our son and his new bride. "BIG MISTAKE!" They found a number of dead bugs in the bed linnens, the floors were dusty, dirty bathroom, no continental breakfast that was supposed to be there. We asked for a simple DVD player to be placed in the room which we were told that would be done, "NOT". Not even a simple coffee maker in the room or a blowdryer in the bathroom! OK, Forget the blowdryer. If we wanted that extreme amenity we should have had a reservation at the nearest Motel 6. We will be contacting the Riverside Co. Health Dept. and the BBB. Not to mention our credir card to remove the charge. Sad Sad Sad.

Room Tip: "Nearest Motel 6 (NOT KIDDING)"
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mike S
HSResort1884, General Manager at Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Dear Mike S.,

I was dismayed to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory due to several issues. We addressed the reported pest problem immediately with our pest control provider Ecolab (California's premier pest elimination services). We had a field expert come to the room your son stayed in, and after spending several hours going inspecting the room thoroughly he was not able to find evidence of any pests or insects in the room or bed.

Unfortunately, our rooms do not come equipped with dvd players. I understand that our front desk personnel informed you and your son, before checking in, that this would not be available. Other amenities are available upon request when checking in (such as hair dryers, ice, irons, etc.). Continental breakfasts are currently offered on the weekends only. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding regarding our amenities and for the issue with your son's room, and would be happy to discuss your complaint further.

My e-mail address is tina.k@hsresort.com, and I look forward to hearing from you with hopes we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Best Regards,
Tina Kummerle
President

Reviewed September 2, 2011

Rooms: The rooms were cozy and had character. The rooms were big enough for our needs although we didn't spend much time in the room. We were mostly out and about on the property or eating.

Location: We were on vacation so we were in no rush. But it was roughly 2 hours outside LA.

Value: The experience of staying in a heritage inn was great fun. We enjoyed our stay.

Reason for stars: Although the property wasn't prestigious, I give it 5 stars for the experience and the stay. The property had a lot of charm and character. We also visited their restaurant which was also great. It was quiet and gave us some "family time". We also took a short trip to the Cabazon Outlet Mall which was great as well. I have suggested the resort to friends who have enjoyed their stays as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank feedthetraveller
Reviewed August 29, 2011

So disappointed in this historic resort! The rooms (800 series) are just awful. The rooms are huge and have beautiful new hardwood floors but the decor, the exterior and amenities are outdated by decades! The furniture is a mix mash of different styles. The sights and the property should be breathtaking, but the grounds aren't kept up and very little of the usable land is utilized. The rooms could use a reference binder about the property, the front desk hours, the directions to the pool, etc. This at one time was a glorious gem, but is very close to reverting to coal.

Dear HSR - hire a property management expert and get some investors.

Room Tip: Don't assume they all come with basics such as radios, dresser, TV and internet access
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Ayres Hotel Redlands
#1 of 9 in Redlands
Morongo Casino, Resort & Spa
Days Inn Banning Casino/Outlet Mall

Been to Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!