“New Years Week”

Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We are TS owners here and come for New Years week almost every year. Most things are good to very good with a few exceptions. One of the biggest deals is the TS PUSH. We try to avoid these folks but they are persistant.Also, check in can be trying as they rarely have any rooms available until 4 PM (yes I know that is what it says, but.....). Then they have limited rooms with any kind of view due to the renovation and everyone wants one of those. Lots of room complaints in general.
Now, a few good things. Great location and just a 5 minute drive to the Gondolla or up to the California lift. Shuttle also runs if needed. Lots of great places to eat and some meals can be cooked in your room. The new rooms have nice but small appliances and are adequate.I sort of liked the flow of the old rooms which had full size appliances, but all is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the lake. Hopefully you will get a partial view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Huntgas
There are newer reviews for Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The LTVR is a tweener--between 3 and 4 stars. Here is the breakdown...

Pros
- Location: About a 5 minute drive to Heavenly. Shuttles available so if you don't want to drive it yourself--it is pretty easy to get there. Some decent restaurants in walking distance and everyting only a short drive away.

- Rooms: We stayed in a remodeled 1 bedroom suite and it was comfortable and clean. Our two young daugthers slept on the pull out in the living room--and it was okay. The small kitchen/kitchenette is convenient for a quick breakfast or simple lunch/dinner. Small oven, microwave and mid-size fridge do the trick.

- Front desk/Concierge: Very friendly and knowledgeable. They know the area well and are usually available for quick questions/dinner tips (and discounts).

- Valet: Pricing notwithstanding, they do Valet about as good as I've seen. The place is packed and there is always a queue--but calling 5-10 minutes before coming down worked like a charm. The parking area/drop off area is really suboptimal but the staff make it work--with a smile.

Dining: Small but decent option if you don't want to venture out one night. Food is solid as is the service.

Cons
- Hard Sell: We came as guests of Diamon Platinum members and the Concierge still made the hard pitch. I realize a lot of people stay here on discounted rates as part of a "pitch" package but many of the Concierge's made no bones about it--they want the spiff for signing you for an appt (which we declined)

Sofa Beds: Let's just say they are about as bad as most--and barely "sleepable". My 4 and 7 year old were okay with it but i can't imagine an adult could weather it without a few "spring" marks....

Little "things: There are a number of small items that knock LTVR down a notch.
1) Fitness center. Accomodates 4-5 people max. A couple of treadmills and elipticals. You can break a sweat but don't get your hopes up. Also, they were out of water and cups for several hours--just not their thing.

2) Cleaning: Came once during our 5 day stay (SOP for condos) but did a mediocre job. Didn't notice that we were out of kleenex (not the end of their world but she only really changed our towels and cleaned up a bit...)

3) Outlets/Lights: Several didn't work in our room. Again, just a minor inconvenience but still not the sign of a well run operation.

4) Views; We had one of a parking lot--but there is a mix of good and not so good views. Just make sure you to manage your expectations...

5) No Ski stoarge: Enough said...

Upshot--if you are looking for solid lodging in a good location that is family friendly, this is a reasonable choice. If you want something slightly more "upscale" in this area, you might want to check out the Marriott in Heavenly village.

Tips:
- Get the discount cards from the concierge when you check in. Good for 10-20% of some local eateries

- Call for valet 10 or 15 minutes in advance during peak times

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wjrosie
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been a timeshare owner here since 1999. I have always been pretty happy with the place. First, the positives. The rooms are pretty large and nicely furnished. Better this year, because the hotel is under going renovations and we got one of the renovated rooms. We stayed in the full 2 bedroom/2 bath unit. Unfortunately we were in a handicapped room, so we didn't get to see the true configurations of the bathrooms and the kitchen, but the new furnishings, cabinets, appliances and fixtures are all really nice. It was time for a refurbishment, even though the older rooms were still acceptable last year. I like the location of this place. It is less than a mile from the Heavenly gondola and all of the activity down there and the casinos. It is a pretty easy walk, so if you take the day off from skiing and everyone else goes, you aren't trapped in the hotel. Also, you just have to walk across the parking lot to Riva Grill, which is a favorite happy hour location for us. The reception was good. We actually got to check in at 2:30, which is normally unheard of. I didn't use the pool or hot tub, but others in our group did. I assume they are still fine. We also didn't eat in the restaurant this time. We have several favorite restaurants in Tahoe, so we like to hit all of those.

A negative would be paid internet. Lucky for me, I have AT&T at home, which is what they have in the hotel, so I can log in for free, but I find it completely unacceptable to have to pay for internet at an "upscale" hotel when I can get it for free at any Comfort Inn. The parking is also a pain. They use strictly valet. You used to be able to park in the lot if you were lucky enough to find a spot, but with the renovations, you can't do that anymore, so you have to valet everytime. Two free cars are included if you are an owner, but if not, it is a whopping $16 a day. That is crazy. Also, you have to give it about 10 minutes for your car to come around because the valet lot is across highway 50. I am not bashing the valet people, they are friendly and do a good job, it is the set up that is kind of an issue. I left my kindle in the car one night and just decided to live without it until morning, because it seemed like too much hassle to have someone bring the car around for that. Also, having to come up with tips was a hassle since we don't really use cash for much. The only other issue concerns the timeshare sales. The concierge desk doubles as the timeshare recruiters desk. I dodged them and their phone calls this year, but in past years if I wanted the restaurant discount card, I had to talk to them, where they would pressure me into a timeshare tour (which have been awful, when we have done them) and then I would have to remember to call later to cancel it. That is just an unnecessary hassle.

Overall, I am still happy with the quality of this resort and I am used to some of the hassles, so I know how to deal with them, but if I was new to this place and didn't get the free parking and free internet, I would be extremely annoyed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank advonefin
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The rooms were very small. Our room was only cleaned 1 time the entire week we were there. The service was horible. The only time we heard from anyone was when they continually bothered us about joining the time share...they even called us at 8 am to talk o us about joining.
We ate at the bar....our empty dishes were still there hours later. You have to pay for off site parking and wait for your car to be delivered.
For the price of this resort you could stay at a 5 star hotel or rent a vaccation home and get better service or take care of yourself like you have to at this place.

Room Tip: Stay at another resort.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kboggi
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Pros: Very nice remodeled rooms, Hotel bar happy hour daily and great prices, Restaurant and gift shop fair prices, you can walk to numerous restaurants in the area, Heavenly free bus picks up right out in front of resort, You can take free bus downtown to casinos.
Cons: Major one is the huge remodel going on, our rooms were nice but as far away from the lobby you could be! We had to walk through construction area. They knew we were skiers and we did not have a car so we had to lug our equipment back and forth through the halls daily! Mainly because this SKI? resort has NO ski storage available!! Really stupid planning, besides walking through the halls with the equipment will result in nicked up walls on a new remodel! We had trouble with the free internet all week, but we complained and the service guy came right away to fix the router! We were on the first floor and had a view of a huge white visqueen wall, fencing and caution tape. Terrible! They do not have parking available because of the remodel but if you are a Diamond owner you do not have to pay for valet service. We did not have a car but I can see how this would be a hassle. ALWAYS a con is the big push to get you to come to the owners meeting or presentation!

Room Tip: We asked for our rooms to be close to each other and got stuck far away from the lobby and no view...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pmain
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here the first week in March for a ski vacation and got a brand new, renovated 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo unit. It is absolutely beautiful! There is a flat screen TV in each bedroom and the living room. The kitchen is fully equipped with new appliances, glasses, cutlery, pots and pans, etc., and has a large table for 4. The living room sofa makes into a queen bed. The living room also has a gas fireplace and balcony with 2 chairs and a cocktail table. The beds are very comfortable (2 queens in one bedroom and a king in the other bedroom). The bedroom with the 2 queens also has a small kitchenette. The bathrooms are very large with lots of counterspace, a tub/shower, and a hook on the door for clothing and towels. The unit we were in on the top floor was extremely quiet. There are laundry facilities on the floor near the elevator.

The ground floor contains a small store, small restaurant with full bar (we didn't sample), pool table, indoor/outdoor pool (very nicely heated), and a hot tub which could use a few more jets but was well heated. There appears to be lots of kid activites there also but we don't have any so we didn't look into that.

The resort has a shuttle to take you to the Heavenly Valley ski resort.

They only have valet parking but we had no wait getting our car or dropping it off.

My two minor complaints (which I brought to management's attention) is that the tap water tasted a little off, like there was a bit of salt in it. I drank bottled water. The second is that the pool has a sign to leave your pool towel (there will be 4 or 6 in your unit depending on its size) at the pool. DO NOT do that. Take your pool towel with you. The front desk charges $25 for each missing towel!

I'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The top floor near the elevator was where we stayed was great!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Decent vacation rental. Biggest room only one bedroom but at least had a pull out couch to accommodate out family of 4. Worst part was the pressure from the manager when we decided NOT to go through the tour the first day of our stay. No need to question the guests with sarcasm. The resort was under renovation so there was not a lot to see out of the window but construction. Even though the resort was average, the location made up for it. Good food options close and shuttle to the ski lift was convenient. I wish the had two bedroom units, but I would stay there again because of the surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family