I have been a timeshare owner here since 1999. I have always been pretty happy with the place. First, the positives. The rooms are pretty large and nicely furnished. Better this year, because the hotel is under going renovations and we got one of the renovated rooms. We stayed in the full 2 bedroom/2 bath unit. Unfortunately we were in a handicapped room, so we didn't get to see the true configurations of the bathrooms and the kitchen, but the new furnishings, cabinets, appliances and fixtures are all really nice. It was time for a refurbishment, even though the older rooms were still acceptable last year. I like the location of this place. It is less than a mile from the Heavenly gondola and all of the activity down there and the casinos. It is a pretty easy walk, so if you take the day off from skiing and everyone else goes, you aren't trapped in the hotel. Also, you just have to walk across the parking lot to Riva Grill, which is a favorite happy hour location for us. The reception was good. We actually got to check in at 2:30, which is normally unheard of. I didn't use the pool or hot tub, but others in our group did. I assume they are still fine. We also didn't eat in the restaurant this time. We have several favorite restaurants in Tahoe, so we like to hit all of those.
A negative would be paid internet. Lucky for me, I have AT&T at home, which is what they have in the hotel, so I can log in for free, but I find it completely unacceptable to have to pay for internet at an "upscale" hotel when I can get it for free at any Comfort Inn. The parking is also a pain. They use strictly valet. You used to be able to park in the lot if you were lucky enough to find a spot, but with the renovations, you can't do that anymore, so you have to valet everytime. Two free cars are included if you are an owner, but if not, it is a whopping $16 a day. That is crazy. Also, you have to give it about 10 minutes for your car to come around because the valet lot is across highway 50. I am not bashing the valet people, they are friendly and do a good job, it is the set up that is kind of an issue. I left my kindle in the car one night and just decided to live without it until morning, because it seemed like too much hassle to have someone bring the car around for that. Also, having to come up with tips was a hassle since we don't really use cash for much. The only other issue concerns the timeshare sales. The concierge desk doubles as the timeshare recruiters desk. I dodged them and their phone calls this year, but in past years if I wanted the restaurant discount card, I had to talk to them, where they would pressure me into a timeshare tour (which have been awful, when we have done them) and then I would have to remember to call later to cancel it. That is just an unnecessary hassle.
Overall, I am still happy with the quality of this resort and I am used to some of the hassles, so I know how to deal with them, but if I was new to this place and didn't get the free parking and free internet, I would be extremely annoyed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort puts you amid the setting for the vacation of a lifetime. Come each season, you will find different scenery, not to mention a variety of different seasonal activities. It's hard to imagine anything could beat the views and variety you get when you plan your visit to beautiful South Lake Tahoe, California. This is an area built around the reason for the breathtaking panorama, Lake Tahoe, America's largest Alpine lake. From sight to touch, you will revel in the wonders of the sapphire-blue water of the lake, perfectly situated right at the base of the stunning, snow-capped mountain peaks of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Vacatia, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Tahoe Vacation Hotel Lake Tahoe (California)
- Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort CA