“what a nightmare!”

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We would like to give feedback on an unsatisfactory experience with a hotel we booked on CheapTickets in response to an email solicitation that I received. We had a reservation for three nights here at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, which is part of Diamond Resort International.

Upon our arrival, we were told that there would be a $16 per night parking fee. Nowhere on the email confirmation that I had gotten did it mention this fee. The clerk said that this was their policy but I felt that this change was unfair given that we were not told about it when I made the reservation. I called CheapTickets who got a different hotel clerk on the line who told me the exact same thing. She then took me to the hotel’s website and showed me a statement that read “other fees may apply” and used this as her argument that we should have expected this! I asked that the manager be consulted; as a compromise the manager agreed to give us a debit card in the amount of $25, less than half of what we were going to be charged.

This was only the start of the worst hotel stay we have ever experienced. We were told that there was construction going on in the hotel and that it may be noisy; that was an understatement. The drilling above our room began at 9:15am and continued off and on until 5:30pm. This information was not included when we made our reservation.

Additionally, there was no maid service included in our room charge. Nothing, nada, zip. There was one packet of coffee in the room, but a note that said additional coffee could be purchased at the front desk.

The room was not very clean: the rug did not look vacuumed and the bathroom had what looked like toothpaste on the cabinets. Although there was a microwave in our room, the dishes had food particles stuck to them. The small refrigerator ran noisily all night long.

There was “free” Internet in the room, provided you were an AT&T customer. Otherwise, you would be charged $7 a day. There was limited cell phone usage in the room.

Needless to say, this was not a fun get-away. Apparently, Diamond in a “member” resort and I wonder it they treat their members the same way. We will not be staying here or at any other Diamond Resorts in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank travelingfool33
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here on trip advisor for others to read and know before they arrive.

Looking at your reservation you made your reservation through a 3rd party agency. We have disclosed all fees with them and resort updates. I would ask you take your concerns up with them since they did not inform you prior to arrival.

The parking fee has been in place for 15 years now and always has been fee based. The construction at the resort has now reached a one year time point. All 3rd party locations have been advised and have accepted the terms and conditions, inclusive of housekeeping services provided after the 4th day. I am glad to hear you accepted the $25.00 gift card despite the shortfall through your travel agency. My apologies we could not waive the parking fees hence this review.

The housekeeping unit cleanliness is completely un-acceptable and my apologies for this shortfall that was clearly our fault. I wish we knew so we could have re-conducted appropriate housekeeping services to your unit. Nonetheless, I will talk to my team on this issue and make the right improvements.

The renovation is a $24 million project. Exterior and interior repairs are underway. From 8AM to 6PM. This is scheduled to run through 2014. My apologies for the noise level from this project we have been doing for a year now.

We are very fortunate for our Diamond Members. Loyalty Members, Club Members and Owners get free parking, Wi-Fi, Housekeeping and USA Today Paper delivery daily. We are fortunate for them and will always hold them at the highest level.

I am sorry to hear that you will not being staying with us or any other Diamond Resort. I wish you the best on all your future travels.

For anyone needing assistance or requests prior to arrival please do not hesitate to contact me via email.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

First of all, we'll say up front that we used Priceline to get this hotel so we didn't know what we were getting until after we bid and unfortunately, we did not notice in Priceline's "small print" a fact regarding extra charges for parking. However, Lake Tahoe is absolutely stunning and we WILL return - most likely on many occasions.

Pros: The hotel's rooms are spacious enough and provide you with a sink, mini frig and microwave, so that is nice. The valets were friendly and retrieved our car quickly, even when there were many people checking in/out. That was nice. It is also right by the Lake and a short walk across the street to a small cove with a great restaurant (Riva Grill) and shops. Hmmm, I guess that's it.

Cons: The first could be attributed to us because we did not notice Priceline's small print regarding the parking charge - $16/day. When we checked in, we were not informed of any parking charge and we were not informed that no maid service was provided. If they had given us that information, we would have at least expected it. (We couldn't have done anything about it at that point, but being surprised with a parking bill and a dirty room during our stay was unacceptable.

We noticed all the construction and requested a room away from it, and were given a room away from it, which was fine. We WERE told there was no self-parking because of the construction and only valet was available. We wrongly assumed this meant they were "providing" the valet parking. That was incorrect.

After checking in, we headed towards the elevator and were immediately stopped and a sales pitch began regarding their timeshare; we declined and kept walking. Approximately 15 minutes after we were in our room, the phone rang and again we were given a sales pitch; and again we declined. Apparently they didn't believe us because early the next morning (before 9 a.m.) once again our phone rang and once again - the sales pitch. Btw, each time they offered a "gift" for us and my husband told them we had no intention of sitting through a sales presentation and they gave him a couple coupons.

After the second day we noticed our room had not been cleaned and we were out of clean towels. We called the front desk and were informed that because we were "only" staying FOUR nights, we would not be given maid service. ?? We asked for fresh towels and were told they would be brought to our room.

After a full day of hiking we came back to our room to freshen up before dinner. However, our pile of dirty towels were still on the floor. We called the front desk again and were told they would be brought up. Over an hour later, we called - again - and this time it took them about 20 minutes to bring towels to us.

What is confusing is the lack of maid service. We are not stuffy people, however, when we're on vacation, we like to have that service - and we feel that's what we're paying for at a hotel. Not this place. If i were a timeshare owner, I would definitely NOT choose this hotel. I've stayed in timeshares before, and I've been given daily maid service - not at this place. Also, your trash stacks up in your room unless YOU dump it. On more than one occasion while walking down the hallways, we observed bags of trash that guests had placed outside their doors. It just seems very unsanitary to allow trash to either pile up in rooms, or in the hallwalls. Again, we just don't understand the value of not providing this service to your guests - or your timeshare owners.

There is a restaurant onsite which is fine, but don't expect room service. That is not available either.

So, what to do when you visit Lake Tahoe (without bidding on a Priceline room)? Our suggestion would be to choose Embassy Suites or the Marriott. Both of these locations charge more for parking ($25 and $26 respectively) but at least at Embassy Suites you'll get free happy hour and free cooked breakfast. And at both locations, they'll clean your room each day and provide room service.

If you're not set on staying at a hotel such as Embassy Suites or the Marriott, you can stay at a hotel which, in our opinion, is the same level as the Lake Tahoe Resort, which would be a Best Western or Travelodge. However, if you choose Best Western or Travelodge you will pay a lower rate; get free parking; and at Best Western they provide you with a frig and microwave, free Internet access and a fully cooked breakfast. We did not choose to go this route because we had not been to Tahoe before. However, the next time, we will. These hotels are more than comparable to this place, and they'll even clean your room each day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction and ask for maid service on a specific day. Unsure whether th...
4  Thank ScottNZeena
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you very much for your review here on trip advisor.

I want to personally thank you for reaching out to me prior to posting this review in your request to refund your parking charges. As per your email to me you have posted a review as a result of our decision to not refund your parking charges.

I would always advise all guests and owners to “Know before you go”. This will help alleviate any uncertainty during your stay. It is important with terms and conditions and acknowledgement on your registration card of all applicable fees accepted. Parking fees have always been charged here since conception of the resort almost 15 years ago and is completely unrelated to our construction. Whether you select valet or self-park (currently unavailable) there is a $16.00 parking fee. We are still affordable in comparison to other locations mentioned in this review.

Housekeeping is accurate in services after the 4th day in which you will receive a mid week clean. Daily housekeeping can be requested daily and prices for it are available at our guest services desk.

Since we are a vacation ownership property we are in a league of our own in comparison to hotels. We have a fiduciary duty to our HOA board and governed association to ensure our resort is financially stable. Whereas other hotels and inns in the area are being plagued by bankruptcy and financial hardship we manage to be financially stable to not sacrifice service and product to all who walk through our doors. As a matter of fact we are in a 24 million dollar renovation project that consists of an exterior and interior upgrade. We will be the best resort in all of Lake Tahoe as we open new units and sections at our resort. We will learn from this experience at our resort and will be better for it.

I thank you for your business at our resort and wish you all the best on all your future travels.

If we can be of any service to any of our future guests prior to your arrival just give us a call or email.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just returned from our 10 year anniversary trip... The room was top notch and the service was even better. Michael Pena was personally in our arrival and special requests and his entire staff was engaged in our special vacation. I read many reviews prior to choosing this resort, don't listen... Try and you will be very happy with your choice! All resorts need to update and expand in order to keep competitive in this resort game... Thanks for the experience and Will see you again!! Thanks again!!
John Curtis

Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank jcurtis77777

Thank you very much for your excellent review.

We appreciate you sharing your special time with us here at the resort and I want you to know that you can consider us your home away from home.

We are constantly working our hardest to ensure that all of our guests are taken cared of no matter what time of the year it is or what project we are working on.

You will always be treated with World Class hospitality here at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort.
See you back soon.

We are here to serve. If we can be of any service prior to your arrival or have feedback for us do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

During our week stay at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, both the property and many of the streets, including sidewalks and bike paths were under construction. Lake Tahoe Blvd. was in the process of getting completely rebuilt in both directions from the resort. Although it meant doubling back for as much as a block or two at a time to cross at a controlled intersection when construction would not allow us to travel any further on that side of the road, we took it in stride whether on foot (no pun intended) or on our bicycles.

The Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort’s exterior fits beautifully with the rugged landscape of the Lake Tahoe area. Despite having been informed of it at the time of booking, the level of renovation being done to the building was far greater than we expected. We had been told that the construction would be confined to normal business hours, which it was. Upon arrival though, we saw cranes and other heavy equipment and immediately thought that it would constitute a major imposition upon us in the course of our vacation. This was not so. On the couple of days in which we returned to the room mid-day to rest prior to engagements in the evening, we were totally unaware of any extraneous noises once we were in the room.

The biggest inconvenience caused by the resort renovation was the valet parking. Most vehicles had to be parked in a multi-level parking structure across the street. This meant that the valets were hustling during most of the day to minimize the guest’s waiting time, and during peak times they were at a dead run. The longest we had to wait for our car was about 40 minutes after we called down to have it brought around.

Despite arriving late on a Saturday night, or perhaps because of it, the check-in procedure was quick and simple; nothing out of the ordinary. Shortly after taking possession of our room though, we became aware of a couple of problems. The lighted makeup mirror in the bathroom did not light and the air conditioning failed to cool sufficiently. We immediately reported it to maintenance and an engineer was dispatched to remedy our concerns. Ten minutes with the air conditioning system was all that was needed to get the unit back in working order. The makeup mirror, on the other hand, was a different matter. The engineer initially thought the problem to be a burned out bulb, but after a trip to the maintenance room for a replacement, changed his thinking. He apologized for not having been able to fix it then and there, but assured us he would try to return on Sunday, or as soon thereafter as possible, with a replacement mirror. I’m sure he must have been busy, as it wasn’t replaced until Wednesday, after my having made mention of it to the front desk staff on Tuesday afternoon.

As I briefly mentioned earlier, our room was quiet even during the middle of the day with construction at its peak. Our room was somewhat small, especially with our bicycles parked inside, but everything in the room was very convenient and well laid out, including the kitchenette. The bed was VERY comfortable. It was a bit awkward having to traverse two hallways and two elevators to get to our sixth floor room, but we made the best of it we could.

Every individual staff member was pleasant and cordial, and eager to please every guest. The one pool which goes from indoors to outdoors was clean and well maintained without being over chlorinated. Both the indoor and the outdoor spas were also maintained at the proper chemical levels and were very close to the prescribed 103 degree F. temperature. We also made use of the sauna which was well received by both my wife & myself.

Since this is a Diamond Resorts timeshare property, they want you to listen to their sales pitch, which we eventually did, but only after much badgering by the concierge staff. Overall, the only detractors from our vacation due to the accommodations were minor. These included the initial mirror and a/c problems, somewhat poor room lighting, and a lack of sufficient electrical outlets in the bedroom area for two laptops, two cell phones, an iPod and a camera battery charger. Thanks to our frequent travels, the lack of outlets was easily solved as we carry an extension cord with us when we travel.

Although we had asked for an extra hour to check out on Saturday morning, in case it became necessary, our early check-out proceeded smoothly. The valet brought a luggage cart to our room, loaded it, and delivered our luggage to our car and loaded it for us with such a big smile on his face, I thought perhaps he was glad to see us go, but I know that wasn’t the case.

Room Tip: When informed of ongoing construction, talk to the General Manager prior to check-in and ask to be p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I want you to know how much we appreciate your business with us. This time at our resort where we are making huge improvements to product, amenities and overall experience is a manageable feat. We will do whatever it takes to make you happy and have an enjoyable stay while in South Lake Tahoe.

We appreciate your feedback in regards to your stay with us and I will share with the team on your experience at our resort. We are very fortunate for all of our owners and guests. You have my word that we will continue to listen to our guests and owners to be the best resort here in South Lake Tahoe.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your quick return back to our resort. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here end of Sept 2012. Didn't know they were renovating but it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. We stayed in a remodeled Studio Standard, had 2 queen beds with a small kitchenette (hot plate, microwave small refrig., coffee maker and sink). The resort is located off the lake across the street from Heavenly Valley. We had a good view of the lake from our room. Room was nice and perfect for what we needed. It was nice to have real plates and silverware for food we wanted to reheat. Only thing is you have to clean your own dishes which I didn't mind. There is no daily housekeeping, but we asked for more soap, towels, etc. it was brought by in 5 min. Beds were nice and firm which is what we like. The front desk staff and Concierge were very friendly and helpful with lots of information about the area. We were able to use a resort discount at one of the restaurants. Parking is valet only, complimentary if you are an owner. Sometimes it takes a little time to get your car, but we never waited more than 10 minutes because I would call prior to leaving the room. I didn't know if we should tip each time to get our car, cause valet is mandatory and if you're in and out a lot this could get costly, also you're paying $16.00 per day. The valets are really friendly and courteous though. There is a nice bar area with a pool table just past the lobby and an on site restaurant called the Bear Moon Grill. The pool and jacuzzi area are nice and located indoors. There are washing machines and dryers available but you have to purchase "high efficiency" detergent. When we stayed at Bent Creek Golf Resort, another Diamond property they provided detergent for free. Ice machines and soda vending machines are located in the laundry room. We experienced some serious road construction on Wed and Thur, but Fri and Sat they weren't working on the road, so maybe they don't work on the roads on Fri, Sat and Sun to avoid totally messing up traffic over the weekend. We may be coming back in May 2013 and hope our stay is as pleasant as it was in Sept.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the lake choose a room towards the back of the resort.
1  Thank Like2Hike

Thank you for your review here on trip advisor.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay while at our resort and found your stay to be pleasant. I want you to know that we are working are hardest to ensure that your next stay with us will exceed your previous stay so it can be the best.

Thank you for mentioning your tip on the valet. If you call down about 15 minutes before you need your car that will help us to have it ready for you when you come down. Great point - Thank you.

We look forward to your next stay with us and I want to personally thank you for your business with us.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Currently staying here. Totally unhappy with accommodations. Asked for a remodeled unit approx one month ago and verbally assured one would be available. Upon arrival assigned to one of the old units. Called about dirty kitchen floor and housekeeping came promptly. Chair in living room has 6" tear on both sides of the cushion. Called yesterday, told we'd get new one by 9 last night. None arrived as of this am. We've stayed at several Diamond properties in the past and this is the first time we've encountered these inferior accommodations. Would advise anyone against staying here until the remodel has been completed in the next year or two.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay with us here.

We do have a new wing that opened up with the renovation of the resort about a month ago. We did receive many calls months in advance for guests wanting to stay in that section. With only a certain amount of units in the new wing we are unable to accommodate all requests since all arriving want to be in one. Being that requests are not guaranteed we do try our best to accommodate as much as we physically can.

As our renovation progresses more renovated units will become available for guests staying with us.

I am sorry to hear about the condition of your chair in your unit. I hope you now find it better now that we have found you a better cushion for it. My apologies for the condition of your chair and assure you we are working not only on this item in the units but the whole entire unit with our 24 Million dollar renovation.

I wish you the best on all you future travels and hope to see you back soon as soon as we wrap up our renovation.

If we can be of any assistance prior to arrival do not hesitate to contact me via email:

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We visited for a week in September 2012 for a honeymoon. This was my first visit to Lake Tahoe. We booked the venue via AMEX vacations. The property location is perfect. It is within walking distance to the lake along with shopping and casinos less than 1 mile away, easy to bike to and from. Our room was on the 3rd floor in a one bedroom #338A to be exact. Our room was modern with a rustic feel to it and was updated and clean.

We had a living room area that included: fire place, pull-out couch (very comfortable did not use couch's bed), two chairs, a coffee table and 2 in-tables. Wall mounted flat screen TV was above the fireplace. Our room had a balcony that faced a wooded area on the lake side. Balcony had two chairs and small table. We stored our bikes here. Currently, the place is under construction. Our view was of construction equipment and work trailers. This didn't really bother us.

The dinning area was a dining/living room combo. Table w/ 3 chairs and built in seating along the wall. Perfect for two people. For a family of three this room would work, but for more than it would be tight living space.

Ample closet space throughout the space.

The modern styled kitchen had all the necessary items one would need to cook during a stay. Great appliances from the dishwasher to the coffee maker. I was impressed by the utensils, and pots and pans provided. Granite like counters, stainless steel appliances. Bring coffee. One day supply of coffee provided that is okay. Property has outdoor grills and picnic area that you can use. Room had vacuum and full sized ironing board and iron.

Our bedroom had a king bed w/two built in closets and a large dresser along w/a flat screen wall mounted TV. Bed was comfortable and linens clean. Overall room was very clean and decent in size.

Bathroom: Very Large! The light green bathroom had a separate shower glass stall and soaking tub on opposite side of room with large two vanity sink area. Colors were modern w/a homely-rustic feel to it. Make-up mirror and hairdryer provided. I can appreciate the large bathroom, and for a family it would be ample size. But, for two people, the large bathroom space could have been substituted for more living space, IMO.

Laundry: Great. Bring your own detergent.

We mainly were outside our entire time and did not use the property amenities like pool, hot tub, and gym. I liked our room. The common areas did not overwhelm me. A lot of beige and hallway carpet and wall color a bit outdated. The place is under construction so, you'll have to deal with minor construction inconveniences like elevator usage and some cosmetic upgrades in common halls. Staff very friendly and accommodating.

Cons: Timeshare property pitch. Housekeeping service is not daily. Valet parking only @$16/day. WiFi: $6.95/day. No room service. I haven't stayed at any other Lake Tahoe property, so I can't compare it to anything but for us, having the kitchen and living/dinning area made the place worth staying. Would I pay full price? Never, I always get discounted rates in some fashion.

Room Tip: See if you can schedule housekeeping at a specific time when they are scheduled to service your room...
1  Thank T7799
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your very good review.

We know it is important when you are traveling and looking for a great place to stay. Also, more important is when you are celebrating a special time with us. I want you and all to know that we know that you all work hard and have very little time for you. We know the importance of your time and I assure you that my team and I will work hard to ensure you have a great stay with us here at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort.

Looking at your review and pictures it looks like you booked and stayed in a one bedroom deluxe unit. These are 4 years old here at the resort and have a modern design to them. They are great.

I am glad that you enjoyed your unit.

Internet is free to Diamond Loyalty Members and Parking is free (first car) to Club Members and Owners using their points or week. The fee has always been charged at the resort since the resort opened its doors 15 years ago. It still is about $ 10.00 less per night than anywhere else in the nearby area.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your time with us and hope to have you come back soon.